Author Topic: The complete and utter history of the mod we all love???  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Danger X

• I wish we stayed neutral...
    • View Profile
So, how did this great thing called Forgotten hope start?

I am very curious, since there doesn't seem to be any biography anywhere.

Cheers,

Danger
As my tutor, old Bubbleface, used to say:"Make love and be merry, for tomorrow you may catch some disgusting skin disease."

Rowan Atkinson as The Black Adder

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
Re: The complete and utter history of the mod we all love???
« Reply #1 on: 04-04-2009, 19:04:46 »
Forgotten Hope was originally only going to be the opening year(s) of WWII when things for the Allies weren't going all too well. Hence 'Forgotten Hope'.

0.5c released. Horrible mess...but bloody good fun. First round I played was the old (old, old, old old...) Crete. The day I became a convert.

Shortly after (I think) Forgotten Hope merges with a BF1942 mod based on the Pacific Theater, as well as support from Merciless Creations.

0.6 released after many months of waiting. Massive amount of downloads, many servers under heavy load. Totally different game from 0.5.

Between then and 0.7, various updates improving the mod. Deployable flak guns, flying saucers, tractors and Barbie King Tigers. You know. The norm.

Somewhere along the line there was a bit of drama with Merciless Creations demanding models or something baffling...and then a massive content withdrawal.

All the rest is fairly recent news.

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #2 on: 04-04-2009, 23:04:28 »
Could u add FH's history untill present for new community members?
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-04-2009, 04:04:21 »
If a couple devs could sit down for a fireplace tale or two on the mod's history, that'd be really nice.

Grandpa, tell us a story!

Offline Cpl. Mallard

• Proud owner of an SMLE Mk.III*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-04-2009, 06:04:15 »
Ok Hawkeye, between where cool ones left off until present was....

I think im right, feel free to correct me.

Official FH Mappack... included night levels with an early german night vision sight, reconfigured, more accurately mapped Midway Island, some map that the tankers wouldnt shut up about because there was an IS2 and King Tiger and they could have a "fair" duel (idiots), a neat map featuring an ISU-152 (for some reason the devs made the IS2 about the size of a Sherman, although in real life its as wide and long as a King Tiger!), and some terrible snowy russian map.

That, I BELIEVE, was the last edition to FH42. And now is FH2. No history to FH2 except for a patch, its still in it's infancy. But as for FH42, it's like an old man in a nursing home that nobody visits, like a ghosttown. It's a beautiful mod yet no one plays it anymore...
"And on the sixth day, God saw the need of a high powered rifle that could slaughter Germans at ranges in excess of 2000 yards, and so He created the Lee Enfield. And He saw that it was good, and so on the seventh day, God rested."

Offline Daisuke Jigen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-04-2009, 07:04:34 »
You know, for all its flaws, 0.5 sticks out the most in my memory. The practically laser-accurate rifles, all the placeholder models, that Japan vs. Russia map with the Super Mario green textures...

Offline Jerry_03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-04-2009, 08:04:51 »
But as for FH42, it's like an old man in a nursing home that nobody visits, like a ghosttown. It's a beautiful mod yet no one plays it anymore...

thats not entirely true. the Pixel-Fighter server and sometimes The Damned Priest server, which is both in Germany is populated. i was just playing on it maybe 2-3 weeks ago with about 30-35 people on it.

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-04-2009, 10:04:23 »
You know, for all its flaws, 0.5 sticks out the most in my memory. The practically laser-accurate rifles, all the placeholder models, that Japan vs. Russia map with the Super Mario green textures...

Hailar.

I have to agree though. 0.5 was awesome, and I still remember it the most.

Offline jumjum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-04-2009, 12:04:32 »
...Somewhere along the line there was a bit of drama with Merciless Creations demanding models or something baffling...and then a massive content withdrawal.....
Ah versions 0.65, 0.66, 0.67, and somewhere there were some "a" and "b" sub-versions too. Those could be called "The Panzer III years". I also remember the Merciless thing. What a pain in the ass. Lawyers and everything. Merciless's attitude always puzzled me, because they barely had anyone using their stuff outside of FH's joint venture. I think they're still technically hanging in there, but they're on life support I think. I hope they are warmed by the knowledge that their content is safe from being seen by anyone.
Like the Phoenix rising from the ashes.....

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-04-2009, 13:04:21 »
and some terrible snowy russian map.
Soletschnogorsk! I loved that map. Too bad no one seemed to grasp the idea how it was to be played. Too complicated for the masses me thinks. :D

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05-04-2009, 14:04:41 »
and some terrible snowy russian map.
Soletschnogorsk! I loved that map. Too bad no one seemed to grasp the idea how it was to be played. Too complicated for the masses me thinks. :D

One of the best maps ever made in FH History.

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05-04-2009, 17:04:39 »
summer of 2002, when the Battlefield 1942 demo was released, the activity in the main modding website for Bf42 (www.bf42.com, don't search, sadly is gone) was hectic and wonderful. DICE had not plans to add mod support to their game but the modders cracked its format and released modding tools, rexman (http://rex3d.net/bf/index.htm) was the most famous of them, but the Editor 42 and even Battlecraft were created by the modders.

Ok, all the famous Bf42 mods were born in that page, the 3 first mods to be announced were Codename Eagle (a Rexman's mod about the ancesstor of Bf42), Eve of Destruction and Forgotten Hope. In those boards started aswell the famous Desert Combat mod (first called Desert Conflict), with a famous thread, in wich Frank DeLise (if my memory is right he was a programmer at Discreet, the developers of 3d max, later the boss of Trauma Studio and creator of Frontlines game) posted his first pics of Abrams, Humvees and A-10 Thunderbolts in the Alamein map, some guys claimed those screens were fake photoshop pics, it was really funny.

About FH, it was created by our first boss, Senor Ding Dong, a canadian guy, and two other dudes, they recluted some modelers in the boards and the long and awesome travel began. At first the focus of the mod was the first stages of the war, 1939 to 1941, and add other armies like french, polish or italians, and a realistic aproach to the gameplay, not arcade like the original.

Me and other modeler/skinner, Mange, joined a couple months later, and we were guilty of the crime of expand the mod to all the WW2, because we modeled a bunch of american airplanes, haha. Major hartmann joined and becomed the main coder of FH, a master. Very soon Senor Ding Dong stepped out as leader and ArminAce becomed the new leader. We released our first version, 0.5, in 2003 fall.

Some time later we merged with Pacific Shores, four talented guys that were doing a Pacific Campaign mod, zero is still in the team, D_fast was their leader, he, later, created Point of Existance. Rad also joined around that time. And unfortunately we merged with Merciless Creations, and won't talk more about that mistake because I want to keep the cool vibe.

Major Hartmann and ArminAce left, ctz joined and becomed the new main coder, and we released the final version for Bf42, 0.7 and the fan pack 6 (unofficially 0.8, for its undebated quality) and we decided to go on in the new Battlefield game, BF2. Some guys quitted, others joined, like Toddel, Knoffhoff, Mr_Cheese, etc, and you know the rest of the tale, here we are, armed and dangerous.

Now the grandaddy must go, kids, I must polish my Grand Torino.

Offline Danger X

• I wish we stayed neutral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-04-2009, 17:04:28 »
Thanks all. I have always been interested in knowing the roots of a project, to know what they stand for, and just because I am a history geek.

Cheers,

Danger
As my tutor, old Bubbleface, used to say:"Make love and be merry, for tomorrow you may catch some disgusting skin disease."

Rowan Atkinson as The Black Adder

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #13 on: 05-04-2009, 18:04:14 »
Thanks Lobo for this wonderfull story  :'( , that it may continue for many years...  :D
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-04-2009, 20:04:35 »
This has made me feel like something of a relic, and I'm not even 21 yet.