Author Topic: Pointe du Hoc crashes 10 secs into gameplay  (Read 495 times)

Offline robbob42

• View Profile
Pointe du Hoc crashes 10 secs into gameplay
« on: 25-04-2018, 05:04:25 »
I've successfully(?) imported a G3 into the game as part of the US Antitank class. I've run thru a half dozen US levels with no apparent problems. However, Pointe du Hoc crashes to desktop anywhere from 5-15 seconds after spawning in. I'm running in windowed mode and there are no msgs. It's just gone. Doesn't seem to matter what I do or don't do. I've even taken my hands off of everything - just let my player spawn in and just stand there. Seconds later - CRASH.

This is in coop play.

It didn't do this before the G3, but I can't imagine what I would have done to cause this - especially since all the other levels play fine. I've run thru weapons, kits, init.con, tmp.con - who knows what else - until I'm numb. Initially there was one itemIndex conflict that crashed the load 20% into it. But that was resolved early on. There are a couple of grappling-hook-specific pickup kits that aren't in the other levels, but I can't find anything odd about them.

What would cause it to crash AFTER the level starts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: 25-04-2018, 20:04:37 by robbob42 »

Offline robbob42

• View Profile
Re: Pointe du Hoc crashes 10 secs into gameplay
« Reply #1 on: 25-04-2018, 20:04:36 »
Curiously, when I set the bot count as low as it will go (1), all the bots become US except one. Then it ran for over 5 min and never crashed.

I didn't (consciously) change anything on the Axis side. All I did was temporarily use the STG44 dds as the HUD and Selection icons for my G3. Could it be that a German pickup kit is corrupt and the game crashes when it's picked up? That could randomly happen fairly quickly with many German bots in the game, but with only one it would take a lot longer for him to find/grab the alleged offending kit(?).

This is all based on circumstantial evidence, but it's all I got right now. Still searching....

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-04-2018, 23:04:54 »
Bots do not pickup kits, they only use spawn menu classes.

Offline robbob42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-04-2018, 18:04:51 »
Thanks Jan,
The pattern of events seemed to fit the hypothesis, but guess I'll have to look elsewhere. It's seems to be something that happens in-game, but I can't think of any other game event that would fit what's happening. And why only this map/level. There's gotta be something unique about it. Frustrating.... it's one of our more favorite maps.

Offline robbob42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-05-2018, 05:05:48 »
Well, problem solved I guess - tho I have no idea what the initial cause was.

I restored my pre-G3 backup, tested the map, then systematically re-installed all the G3-related files I had pulled together, one at a time, re-testing the map after each one. After I installed the final file everything ran fine (???).

Can only assume I inadvertently changed something else, but have no idea what.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-05-2018, 10:05:07 »
Welcome to modding bf2  ;D