Author Topic: Bring back the stamina bar ?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
Re: Bring back the stamina bar ?
« Reply #30 on: 31-07-2014, 15:07:25 »
So to getting rid of too much bunny hopping and demanding a bit more creativity from the player is not a valid argument to bring back a feature that turns uber soldiers in normals soldiers again?

I don't think bunny hopping is big problem in this game... When there was sprint bar there were also bunny hoppers... Of course, when you jumped the sprint bar was decreasing, but not too quickly, so you were able to hit several times spacebar in order to hide behind cover...

It will take a bit of pace out of the game wich makes it a bit less "spawn die spawn die" aswell. All you want is to switch of the brain while moving.

Well, I disagree... I would die a lot more if I weren't able to hide cover quickly because my "magic" sprint bar ends after 5 seconds of run.... And if you run non-stop like headless chicken, without looking around, taking cover from time to time, you would die more, so stating that removing "sprint bar" made you more immortal is lie...

Soldiers sprint and jump alot less in war zones than you might think, especialy compared to FH2. Jumping exposes yourself and is dangerous. And good luck with infinitine sprinting while carrying a weapon, ammunition and your full back pack.

You probably missed 1st episode of BoB series...  ::)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 31-07-2014, 16:07:00 »
To bring up one of those WWII movies for argumentation is not clever.  ;)

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31-07-2014, 16:07:40 »

But that movie was based on true facts...

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31-07-2014, 16:07:30 »

That's a joke, I hope.

Like Shitmaker says, the sprintbar is a feature of the game which makes it more interesting. I don't think most FH2 players want to run around brainlessly, there are other games for that.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31-07-2014, 17:07:23 »

That's a joke, I hope.

Like Shitmaker says, the sprintbar is a feature of the game which makes it more interesting. I don't think most FH2 players want to run around brainlessly, there are other games for that.

Yeah, because trained fit soldiers couldnt run anymore after 10 seconds in reality...  ::)

Offline Graf_Radetzky(CZ)

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31-07-2014, 18:07:49 »
Yeah, because trained fit soldiers couldnt run anymore after 10 seconds in reality...  ::)
Yeah, because they would spawn fresh and ready on the map border right? Seems we owe Tesla more than one would realise.  ::)

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31-07-2014, 18:07:04 »
You can run yes, but can you sprint for more than 15 seconds? In BF2 you always run and press shift to sprint. You can run across the dessert by just pressing W. It just seems too slow in comparison to the fast paced gameplay.

options i see:
1) Increase base speed and make sprint limited and allow only 2 or 3 jumps max without the ability to use the weapon while jumping
2) Keep the speed as it is as well as stamina but increase deviation from jumping and the inability to use weapon while on air
3) PR style increased sprint speed, huge deviation and after 2 jumps you're a sitting duck.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31-07-2014, 18:07:45 »
Better get rid of "strafing" like you did with "dolphing diving"... It's more important that some unrealistic "speed bar"...  ::)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31-07-2014, 19:07:14 »
Btw, there is a reason why more simulator based shooters feature a "vault over" function and limited stamina for sprinting. So much about realism.

You can't remove strafing from the game as there is no lean function. Bunny hopping on the other side can be reduced.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31-07-2014, 19:07:28 »
Bunny hopping is not a balance problem but it's an immersion breaker for some and I can understand that. However it does not justify forcing on others the way you want the game to be played. For others the sprint bar may be an immersion breaker - now what? From what I gather FH2 was always about immersion and freedom of player choice. You still get plenty of "creative" ways to play without the sprint bar.

Call me a blasphemer but I slowly begin to grasp that Natty had way more understanding about gameplay than most of us but unfortunately none about the community and playerbase.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31-07-2014, 19:07:10 »
However it does not justify forcing on others the way you want the game to be played.

Mmmh, we had a lot of unjustified forcing going on during the era of the swedish.

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 31-07-2014, 19:07:23 »
I'm certainly in favor of keeping the stamina bar away. It was only an annoyance, nothing more. You'd get stuck on every little piece of rubble and when you finally needed it it was all out.

Infinite/finite stamina has no effect on bunny hopping. Even with the stamina bar empty, you could still jump. It only prevented sprint jumping. People have been bunny hopping the same amount ever since the release of the mod. The only people who I see doing it frequently are new players, who have probably gotten it from other games. And so what if they do it, they're only making themselves easier targets by jumping up and down. If you look at any of the older experienced players, none of them do it, because they know it useless.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 31-07-2014, 19:07:17 »
Btw, there is a reason why more simulator based shooters feature a "vault over" function and limited stamina for sprinting. So much about realism.

Ahahah, yeah, speed bar makes the game realsitic? Since when?  ;D And FH2 is not simulator... Only tank damage system is only a bit close to simulator, every other aspect is rather closer to arcade in FH2...

You can't remove strafing from the game as there is no lean function. Bunny hopping on the other side can be reduced.

Of course that you can't disable it, but you can punish it by increasing recoil, like it was done with jumping and dolphin diving....

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 31-07-2014, 20:07:47 »
I'm certainly in favor of keeping the stamina bar away. It was only an annoyance, nothing more. You'd get stuck on every little piece of rubble and when you finally needed it it was all out.

Infinite/finite stamina has no effect on bunny hopping. Even with the stamina bar empty, you could still jump.

Simply not true and I would like you to remind yourself how stamina in BF2 actually works. I played the game a lot when 2.4 and 2.45 was out and I saw the transition. Like it or not. Infinite stamina has in fact an impact on bunny hoping. No stamina=no jumping. It is that easy. There is no way that you will hop over whole Omaha Beach when your stamina is empty. I still don't get why people claim something else. You don't even need the stamina bar if it is an immersion breaker for you. What about the possiblity to disable it in the hud and still keep the stamina limited? I think PR has a pretty nifty way and FH2 had it aswell. You only saw the bar when stamina got empty.

@Kubador: Natty only knows how to make a game more accesible to a wider audience and it didn't do the mod any good. In short - he knows what makes Call of Duty sell more than FH2. Doesn't mean that CoD is better or offers more depth for a longer period of time. I am not saying, that I wouldn't like to see more players. But sacrificing what FH2 actually was at it's peak time (2.4), was not something I would consider "understanding of gameplay". Sorry, but if someone tells me, that I don't know what I like or want, then this person has simply no credibility for me.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 31-07-2014, 22:07:40 »
options i see:
1) Increase base speed and make sprint limited and allow only 2 or 3 jumps max without the ability to use the weapon while jumping
Best of three. This would be OK too, but I'd rather see the jogging gone.

@ everyone complaining about stamina draining from statics/rubble/debris, etc: hundreds of statics have been smoothed and only a few maps still have a lot of debris which is hard to manoeuver in. But: that's how it should be. You can't run around smoothly in a destroyed building. You can in most streets and non-destroyed buildings. The fixing of the statics went mostly unnoticed, since it happened at the same time and later than the removal of the sprintbar. So: if you still get stuck, it is quite exceptional and you better avoid that place next time.