Author Topic: FH2 #2 Road to Glory - A CMP Campaign  (Read 4893 times)

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
FH2 #2 Road to Glory - A CMP Campaign
« on: 22-09-2017, 20:09:04 »

Welcome to the second Forgotten Hope 2 CMP Gaming Campaign.
In this campaign you will have the pleasure to fight on brand new and also established and balanced maps

Wage battle on the fields of Nietjärvi and Strongpoint Joki . Drive your tanks and planes in Meuse River and Siegfried Line . Prepare yourself for intense and bloody infantry fights on Elsenborn Ridge and Westwall among many others.
You willl have to test your skills and teamwork on 9 custom maps specifically made and edited for this campaign

What Is CMP-Gaming?

CMP-Gaming means Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming.  The community was founded to provide common home for the FH2 Community Map Pack, as well as a brand new tournaments run by people who have decade long experience of hosting them. Click the link below for more information:

https://cmp-gaming.com/topic/190-about-us

Click Below to Join the Campaign

« Last Edit: 22-09-2017, 21:09:19 by kummitus »
CMP Gaming

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
Re: FH2 #2 Road to Glory - A CMP Campaign
« Reply #1 on: 22-09-2017, 20:09:56 »
« Last Edit: 22-09-2017, 21:09:05 by kummitus »
CMP Gaming

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-09-2017, 20:09:06 »
"Nietyärvi"

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #3 on: 22-09-2017, 21:09:57 »
 >:(
CMP Gaming

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-09-2017, 18:09:27 »
Join today and help us test the maps on the CMP server at 18:00 UTC!

BTW, the map pack also contains the Dunkirk map from the French Hope

and a tank battle map based on the Battle for Hochwald Gap.

Maybe we will have a little event soon with the new maps.

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-09-2017, 10:09:35 »
Really? Why the fuck are you making more Western Front maps? Most of them that CMP makes are shit. And also, why do you make Meuse River, if there is a much better, more enjoyable map called "Meuse River"!! It is made by the FH2 devs who followed quality over quantity, not the other way around. We already have enough Africa and Western Front maps, prioritize Eastern Front maps, which should have good quality.
« Last Edit: 24-09-2017, 10:09:41 by FHMax3 »
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-09-2017, 11:09:15 »
The Battle of Hochwald Gap is actually a nice opportunity to see some of the late-war Commonwealth equipment in action, such as the Land Matress. It could be a nice, muddy map, with candian armour and wasps attacking entrenched german paratroopers supported by some SPGs and (in later stages) some armour.

I'm sceptical though, all I can see right now are big random forested areas. Can't judge until it is played on a public server, I guess.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-09-2017, 12:09:32 »
... why do you make Meuse River, if there is a much better, more enjoyable map called "Meuse River"!! It is made by the FH2 devs who followed quality over quantity, not the other way around.

Have you even seen the map?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-09-2017, 12:09:23 »
I'm sceptical though, all I can see right now are big random forested areas. Can't judge until it is played on a public server, I guess.

Me too. It seems like they went for "big is better" approach again because they've made the area where the fighting took place unnecessarily big. Streamlining is a thing, fellas.

I also think exactly the same about Nietjärvi. I dont understand why did you have to map out the entirity of the area between nietjärvi and lake ladoga and thus scaling it down horribly. Could have made the map focus entirely on the nietjärvi area instead and still fit in your 100 players for the tournaments...
« Last Edit: 24-09-2017, 12:09:01 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-09-2017, 12:09:21 »
... why do you make Meuse River, if there is a much better, more enjoyable map called "Meuse River"!! It is made by the FH2 devs who followed quality over quantity, not the other way around.

Have you even seen the map?
No but I know the quality and nature of CMP and already can conclude it's useleness. But if you want it to be backed up by your claims, I'll run CMP updater.
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-09-2017, 15:09:44 »
« Last Edit: 24-09-2017, 16:09:55 by RAnDOOm »

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-09-2017, 17:09:05 »
Thanks for the discussion.

These are tournament maps.  We know what size and layout we need for that.  We've been doing it for years.  Also we left the combat areas off those minimaps.

The Hochwald map is still very WIP.  I've had trouble getting detailed information about the German defense there so it is rather generic.  I really made it as an excuse to try out a massive tank battle like Bombing the Reich but with tanks.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-09-2017, 23:09:49 »
GeoPat, definitely. But Im not playing tournament anymore because I really dont see the point of that kind of teamwork. It feels like PR and is even more supported with gameplay and map design of maps. When I played people felt totaly lost- every squad defends its own flag and has absolutely NOTING with any other team member or squad. I remeber that most of time it was very boring hunting jeeps around.Thats not teamwork.

Why not trying other kind  of tournament ,something like preety close flags where squads will defend it own flags but could easly and fast support other squads, creating some kind of frontline fight? When I saw SiegfriedLine map, I new that is true tournament map!!! (all time thinking   on Knohof Crimea map?) Siegfried line looks really nice and exactly for my idea. Im not saying You need push mode/ no,Siegfied line is conquest and is perfect. WW2 was war with frontlines and tournament feels likemodern day wars. Also it would be good that you reduce assets on like: tanks,one car and three trucks. So if you want fast transfering of men, you need HQ truckers and car to come and pick your men up.
Then making flags harder to grey and capture & you need atleast 5 man in flag zone/-no sneacky fast capturing of flags. Also this would actually need for you to clear and dominate flag zone in order to capture it.
Then removing kill messages in order to make team members cooperate asking if kill is made or not.
Then mumble would be great. At the moment, if two squad attack together there is no way communicate between squad members..( there is some kind of FH2Mumble already)

This is what I always missed in tournament and hoping one day you will make true teamwork tournament ...
« Last Edit: 24-09-2017, 23:09:52 by Ivancic1941 »
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25-09-2017, 00:09:29 »
The Hochwald map is still very WIP.  I've had trouble getting detailed information about the German defense there so it is rather generic.

The Canadian Official History (Volume III, NorthWestern Europe 1944-1945) has a whole chapter dedicated to the battle. It gives a detailed account of the operation and has a couple of maps and sketches. Hell, the loading screen is actually a map from that book, and it clearly shows the German main line of resistance and antitank ditches.

I've taken a quick look at two more maps: Siegfried Line and Strongpoint Joki. Siegfried Line looks like a much better Westwall. It has a better atmosphere and a more sensible layout. Strongpoint Joki however... I sincerely hope it never makes it way into public rotation. The flags are all far apart form each other and brushing the edge of the map. In Villers-Bocage this is not a big problem since hedges block the view of the secondary terrain, here it will look ugly as hell. The area between the flags is samey and too open for my taste.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-09-2017, 00:09:49 »
I read quite a bit of Canadian stuff about the battle for Hochwald, but it wasn't all that helpful when placing trenches and bunkers.  It's not like Omaha Beach where you can get maps and photos of the exact fortifications.  Maybe I need to visit the sight.  I think I did pretty good incorporating the information while still sticking to the plan of a tank battle map.  I'm sure I will improve it in the future.

Ivancic, you can always just play the Siegfried Line battle.  We might have a public event soon where we introduce these new maps and let the pubbies see if they like them.  As for your tournament ideas, we probably do need to get more variation in map style.  However, in years of playing FH2 campaigns at 3 different tournaments, I've noticed that tourney player really don't like the meat grinder maps.  Pubbies probably wouldn't like it either if they played the same stock map for 5-6 hours.  Tournament players like to maneuver around with tanks, have enough room for airplanes and launch surprise raids on flags.  You need room for that.  It's true that flag defense is a very boring but necessary duty that newcomers often get stuck with.  We are constantly trying to improve that.  I would like to see FH2 Mumble used in the future but its status in unclear atm.  Getting rid of kill messages and dynamic spotting might also be good ideas.  We would need less room for surprise attacks if we didn't have to avoid being lit up on the minimap all the time.