Author Topic: Making a guide to FH2 maps  (Read 792 times)

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
Making a guide to FH2 maps
« on: 19-04-2014, 21:04:50 »
Hi, and welcome to another "Let's suggest something for FH2" update!

This time we prepared a special little suggestion for you, and here's what it's about:

Prompted by the post in the "Feedback" thread, regarding players who don't know that Katzenhardt cannot be recaptured once lost to the Americans, I'd like to suggest making a rough "FH2 map guide" or some "Map reviews" which would describe the maps to the new and/or more casual players who didn't quite catch all the tips&tricks to winning some maps yet, as demonstrated by the general lack of experience/knowledge on Hurtgen.

I do realise that expecting a high level game on a public server is somewhat unreal, but it would make some goals clearer for the players. In almost every Ramelle game, a squad captures Right Flank and spawns a Tiger for the Germans, regardless of the caps locked chat spam "DO NOT CAP RIGHT FLANK", "GTFO FROM RIGHT FLANK FLAG", etc.

As an alternative, I suggest making those hints a bit more visible on the map description in the loading screen.

What does the jury say?
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Making a guide to FH2 maps
« Reply #1 on: 19-04-2014, 22:04:24 »
In almost every Ramelle game, a squad captures Right Flank and spawns a Tiger for the Germans, regardless of the caps locked chat spam "DO NOT CAP RIGHT FLANK", "GTFO FROM RIGHT FLANK FLAG", etc.

What does the jury say?
The jury says that Ramelle has been updated, so that the Right Flank stuff is gone now :)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-04-2014, 22:04:31 »
Also, there are crossed out flags and flags in blue or green circles to tell players what they can or can't do. (This system is explained on the loading screen)

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-04-2014, 00:04:16 »
Didn't know that FPS shooter might be too difficult to understand how to play properly for somebody...  ;D

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-04-2014, 00:04:10 »
As seen on the Katzenhardt example, seems like it can.
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-04-2014, 01:04:12 »
As seen on the Katzenhardt example, seems like it can.

And as long as it is explained on the loading screen any other additional guide won't help, because people obviously don't read most basic info about the map.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-04-2014, 02:04:41 »
...and there are some people on the servers who just don't care if they are in uncap.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-04-2014, 16:04:18 »
...and there are some people on the servers who just don't care if they are in uncap.

As it should be... If the devs didn't want us to be in the uncaps they would have made it so we couldn't get there.  ::)

Not trying to hate on 762 again but I personally believe the "no attacking uncaps" rule is pointless... I think it should be changed into "no spawncamping at uncaps". If someone wants to disrupt the enemy's supply lines then why not let him do it... As I always say, there is no safe place in a war.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20-04-2014, 17:04:15 »

As it should be... If the devs didn't want us to be in the uncaps they would have made it so we couldn't get there.  ::)

Not trying to hate on 762 again but I personally believe the "no attacking uncaps" rule is pointless... I think it should be changed into "no spawncamping at uncaps". If someone wants to disrupt the enemy's supply lines then why not let him do it... As I always say, there is no safe place in a war.

Yeah, that is definitely among the most retarded rules I've ever seen being enforced in an online game. Only a genius could've come up with it.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20-04-2014, 17:04:03 »
Well, attacking Katzenhardt is not against the rules (I mean attacking troops near and in the flag zone, not trying to recapture the flag, what is pointless anyway). Correct me if I'm wrong but last time when I was on the server Odium told me that "don't attack uncaps" applies only to the back flags and main bases, not the ones on the "frontline" to avoid ridiculous kicks/bans to people who fight near uncaps. With this interpretation, On Hurtgen Forrest, only attacking flags on the paths to Katzenhardt, after the flag is taken, would be a rules violation.

EDIT:
This link pretty much sums it up and explains how this rule work on 762 servers. I think it's an important read for all those who think rules are not clear or too restrictive.
« Last Edit: 20-04-2014, 18:04:33 by jan_kurator »

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20-04-2014, 18:04:43 »
I for one, think its a really good idea, making the mod even slightly more accessible can't be wrong, guides to maps, maybe even with weapon kits and vehicles pointed out (or at least the fact that there are kits you have to find and pickup) wouldn't hurt the mod, possibly help it.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20-04-2014, 18:04:40 »
I agree. I'm not telling this is a bad idea. I would additionaly love to see video interviews like the one we have on Gold Beach, on every single map we have in game. The problem is that producing guides/videos is very time consuming, we don't have people with time to do it and I'm afraid that it won't serve its purpose, since reading loading screen seems to be too much for some people :P

Offline SamusMaximus8492

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20-04-2014, 22:04:23 »
Wasn't Roughbeak or Christie working on something like this? Maybe it never got finished, but perhaps releasing whatever was completed would be helpful given all the new players

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20-04-2014, 22:04:17 »
Wasn't Roughbeak or Christie working on something like this? Maybe it never got finished, but perhaps releasing whatever was completed would be helpful given all the new players

Indeed, Christie from what I have heard ceased writing from it.

For me, it was too overwhelming, only couple of people thought it was good. I moved onto greater goals.