Author Topic: Maps for newbs in FH2  (Read 970 times)

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
Maps for newbs in FH2
« on: 08-11-2011, 18:11:04 »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

A friend of mine is trying to get used to FH2, but he keeps getting killed. I know it's a normal "Noobingitis" but I'd like to get him improve his skillzors on some less skill demanding maps.

I was thinking of something like this:

Level 1 - Supercharge

Level 2 - El Alamein

Level 3 - Siege of Tobruk

Level 4 - Fall of Tobruk

Level 5 - Tunis

What do you think? Any word of advice on this?
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Maps for newbs in FH2
« Reply #1 on: 08-11-2011, 18:11:02 »
What? Do you mean in singleplayer?

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-11-2011, 18:11:13 »
No, in SP you can take any map and practice, I was thinking Multiplayer, forgot to mention it, sorry.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-11-2011, 18:11:03 »
Well first of all I don't see how supercharge would be easier to play than Tunis or vice versa. Second of all, servers usually use a fixed map rotation which they won't change to let one guy practice, especially when it comes to unpopular maps like Supercharge...

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-11-2011, 18:11:59 »
well I figured it had slower flow than Tunis, he wouldn't spawn and die like in Tunis. And nobody would need to change the map rotation, I just wondered about which map is noob friendly the most.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-11-2011, 19:11:26 »
Just give him a few tips on what routes to avoid, which tanks have better survivability, and most importantly, not to take his deaths too seriously. Imho FH 2 is mostly newb friendly in the way that you can still do good on the leaderboard even with a 0.5 - 1 KDR. Imo close combat infantry maps are a bit better for the newbs as they are probably similar to their past experiences (for example CoD)... And he won't rage as much when he gets killed, cause he didn't spend past few minutes just gettimg to the place of his sudden death. Besides, in smaller CQ maps there are less places the enemy could be...

Also tell him to find an experienced SL and stick with him. He probably knows how to stay alive....

And he mustn't forget that everyone has a bad round once in a while, it's completely normal...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-11-2011, 21:11:54 »
Actually, spotter would not be a bad kit for a noob. You have the binocs to scout terrain and spot enemies before they spot you, and generally you are supposed to stay alive (ie. mostly out of contact). Plus you can be at the top with 0.1 kill ratio ;D

What I played the most as a noob (back then, there was only NA) was actually engineer and anti-tank, and only took potshots at infantry without hunting them in particular. With mines, you can be out of the way when the tank comes, with AT kit you can snipe APC's and AT & AA  guns (though going after a tank with stikkbomb or boombox is tempting, I did this regularly with 1:3 to 1:8 KDR but with a decent score). By manning AT guns you can learn a bit from the tanking without driving one, AA gunners are sometimes a dire necessity (El Al, Gazala, Alam Halfa) so learning that isn't all bad!

As for maps, I would replace Tunis with Chiara's Boobs (more tactical options than spawn-run-die) and the tactically difficult Supercharge (pubbies still tend to ignore the southern flags, four years into the mod) with Gazala.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-11-2011, 23:11:33 »
I think the question is, in wich way your friend is a bit newbish and to find his advantages in combat. Maybe he is a damn good tanker but couln't hit anything with a rifle? Or maybe he is even better with a plane? A friend of mine is also quiet new to the game and has his problems with tanking and run and gun, but he is a damn good pilot. But in general I would recommend maps like Tunis or Fall of Tobruk. Inf Maps are good to get a general feeling for the mod and you don't get frustrated that much when you die, because the way to the fight isn't that long. Most important for new players is to stick to a squad with a good squadleader. Sgt. Steiner for example is very good. Not so good is playing on NA maps like EL Alamein or Siege Of Tobruk since there isn't that much cover and the gameplay is quiet tricky. Sometimes it is quiet hard to even get a kill also as an experienced player. Most important is that your friend likes the game at the end and doesn't get too frustrated so sticking together with him in one squad is also a good idea.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-11-2011, 16:11:49 »
AT weapons are generally the best for newbies since they do not require a very precise hit on the enemy. Plus targets are really large. Things like AT guns are really nice coz they are small and hard to spot while deadly. You could learn a lot of shell ballistics from playing AT weapons.

But still one day you have to play inf. You cannot avoid that...

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-11-2011, 00:11:14 »
I say all desert maps, especially the open (non-urban) areas. I felt it was a great way to start off, i never seem to do as good on normandy/bulge maps as I do on desert maps.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-11-2011, 06:11:22 »
I usually pick maps without or with little vehicles first. Killing tanks requires some different skills. Most new players will think that grenades could affect them.