Author Topic: Cover Fire  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Velvet_Revolver

• View Profile
Re: Cover Fire
« Reply #30 on: 22-02-2011, 11:02:55 »
From my experience supressing help but it depends on the map. PhL works rather well. I am litterally supressing people trying to cross the bridge after the third flag with Laffete.

If there are half-decent spotters and mortarmen on the American team, the Lafettes don't last 30 seconds after that third flag falls...

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22-02-2011, 14:02:11 »
From my experience supressing help but it depends on the map. PhL works rather well. I am litterally supressing people trying to cross the bridge after the third flag with Laffete.

If there are half-decent spotters and mortarmen on the American team, the Lafettes don't last 30 seconds after that third flag falls...

True. It's a minigame to shot the spotter before he has spotted you  :)

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22-02-2011, 19:02:14 »
most people don't react to suppressive fire as in real life, which is natural for a game.
So while suppressive fire may not work so well, volume of fire on the other hand does miracles. As in no need to suppress them when they're dead.

But covering fire doesn't exactly work as in the movies. Not like you can fire a few rounds from your thompson around the corner and your teammate can take a walk in the park towards the enemy. But you can have the area covered, and before the enemy pops out to shoot your team mate you shoot the enemy.
« Last Edit: 22-02-2011, 19:02:03 by Kev4000 »

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23-02-2011, 05:02:56 »
I played a few maps of DoD:S the realism mod.  Its basically 1 life per round until everyone dies.  It gets lame with 1/2 people left any everyone else watching, but god does hearing fire near you make you keep your head down.  Gets intense.

Suppression works in real life because of the penalty (death).  I think the only way to make people hide when fired upon in a game is to increase the penalty for getting shot.  The problem is that for many players, facing the penalty does not increase the fun and they will quit.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23-02-2011, 15:02:31 »
I played a few maps of DoD:S the realism mod.  Its basically 1 life per round until everyone dies.  It gets lame with 1/2 people left any everyone else watching, but god does hearing fire near you make you keep your head down.  Gets intense.

Suppression works in real life because of the penalty (death).  I think the only way to make people hide when fired upon in a game is to increase the penalty for getting shot.  The problem is that for many players, facing the penalty does not increase the fun and they will quit.

Exactly. So we either do that or make them walk (or drive) a few kilometers to get back to the place where they died... But it has the same problem, waiting gets boring... So people quit.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27-02-2011, 13:02:28 »
Just add camera shake i.e twitch.

Its about disorienting them enough not return fire and perhaps get pinned. Increasing blur plus twitch that prevents them firing back would do that well.

You can get pinned if you are to disoriented to know which way is left and which way is safe.

That allows the enemy to flank you. That all required.

No need for making the whole game more PR-ish just to aid suppression.

Cam-shake imo is more fh2's style - and would work.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27-02-2011, 23:02:04 »
Camera shace is for major impacts like granade or arty landing nearby, it can't be used for everything otherwise it'll lose its enforcment properties.

Also if you're in a building and someone shoots at its wall and you get 'supressed', then what? You wiggle your head altho you have no reason to? An effect has to work in all situations not only in ideal ones.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28-02-2011, 08:02:58 »
Its more like twitch -Implemented slightly different - It wont appear the same as the impact shock

It will be at a shorter angle, perhaps random direction rather than rhythmic.

Basically, it should feel like the involuntary twitch a person under fire would do - It also has a shorter radius of influence, so you will only experience it if you were close to the window or wall when it got shot up - like blur

I personally feel its the ONLY logical way to go if suppression is to be anything more practical than a quaint cosmetic effect

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11-04-2011, 07:04:40 »
Covering fire do worked, but it has nothing to be done with the suppression effect.

You could use a Garand to have some pretty nice covering fire, let's say you see a few enemies trying to advance across a street, just keep firing into the air and they won't dare to cross. (of course, this only works if you have teammates with you), then your teammates could charge ahead and toss some grenades with less chance of getting shot mid-way.

If you see an enemy guy behind a window or what, just keep firing so he won't dare to pop his head up, and when he pop up, of course he got killed! A bit spammy I must say, but effective if you have teammates covering you.

The Bren is pretty good at laying suppressing fire as well, I found the MG34/42 a bit too blinding for my like, but of course they are super-effective at pinning the enemies down. When laying suppressing fire, the taboo is to spray and pray, never do that unless you're with a tripod MG, instead just do it the semi-automatic/burst-fire way (like the pace slightly faster than firing a bolt-action rifle). If I see someone spray I'd be confident to get out of cover and shoot him with a rifle round because he isn't going to hit me like that.

I never tried it with the BAR - but in general I never know how to use that thing effectively. I just can't hit even in normal circumstances (after 2.2 of course, as the BAR in 2.2 is rather a god-like weapon).

Suppressing fire is totally useless in the case that you don't have a few guys to be with you, because they'll take advantage when you reload (and your benefit from laying suppressing fire is obviously rather limited), but if your enemy know that you have a couple of guys over there, they won't really be sure whether you are reloading or not.

In many cases, especially when outnumbered, I prefer to stay silent and not to fire unless necessary. I almost never use suppressing fire in 64 but in 128 it is a rather good thing to do. (that is, it is easier to "rambo" with less players, so teamplay elements are not as important)
« Last Edit: 11-04-2011, 07:04:30 by General_Henry »

Offline im_a_lazy_sod

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31-05-2011, 06:05:15 »
I agree with all the posts RE supression

Blackouts, more blur, dirt splats, ringing ears, shock that lasts a while after the supressive fire has ceased etc. when under fire and the bullets are close

Whenever I play I'll duck down when I know bullets are hitting nearby and at least try to get to cover

Annoying that the engine limits bullets going through pretty much anything, that would really make things interesting if it wasn't the case

Cover fire is great when used correctly I've found as if you have a good spot to fire from you'll draw fire, even if the supression isn't great it's not going to make things any worse of for the troops you're coverring for