Author Topic: Retreating? We're advancing in a different direction  (Read 2128 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Here's one. Umm... Make walking backwards slower.

I'm sure we've all got used to knife fights where things got bizarre with one person prepping their knife while running backwards. I cant be sure, but I'm not sure thats valid combat tactics.

You should move back slower than anyone trotting foward.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: Retreating? We're advancing in a different direction
« Reply #1 on: 05-02-2011, 17:02:52 »
I don't know if that's possible with BF2 but seeing that you can't run backwards in BF2 I actually never thought that this were a problem.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-02-2011, 17:02:59 »
I don't know, I can move backwards pretty fast, granted theres nothing on the ground I could trip over. I can move forwards faster, true, but this is represented by the sprint feature right now.

Plus I'm not sure this would improve the close combat system, although it could indeed use some improvement. In what way, I don't have a clue. Pretty much everything I can think of has the "not possible on this engine" on it from the start.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-02-2011, 20:02:54 »
We can, but these are supposed to be moves pertinent to combat. Running backwards that fast is'nt pertinent.

I think here it isnt about what is possible, but what is hardcoded. Is the speed of backward-walking hard-coded?

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-02-2011, 21:02:32 »
Have you tried walking backwards? It can be done at a fast pace. But sprinting can't be done backwards which is alright.

I for one love walking backwards while some idiot tries to be cool and stab me during a firefight. A few frantic seconds of reloading and BAM bye bye to you.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-02-2011, 21:02:11 »
Like jeep shreking. Fun, but totally retarded

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #6 on: 05-02-2011, 23:02:07 »
  I like the idea....But I don't recall if there is a command for it.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-02-2011, 02:02:31 »
Ping delay,

what you see isn't what actually happens according to the server.

Offline Rumia

• Apparitions Stalk the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-02-2011, 04:02:53 »
We can, but these are supposed to be moves pertinent to combat. Running backwards that fast is'nt pertinent.

I think here it isnt about what is possible, but what is hardcoded. Is the speed of backward-walking hard-coded?
You can specific the speed of running/jogging/walking/crouching/crawling but the speed of those movements in any direction is always the same

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-02-2011, 11:02:21 »

Neither of them is "totaly retarded"...

« Last Edit: 06-02-2011, 12:02:17 by Beaufort »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-02-2011, 12:02:36 »
Arguable - you might be able to do either in rl, but it doesnt do for a ww2 title if iw want to have any semblance of a ww2-feel, imho.

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-02-2011, 13:02:19 »
I for one love walking backwards while some idiot tries to be cool and stab me during a firefight. A few frantic seconds of reloading and BAM bye bye to you.
This is where you are wrong in my opinion. Though this doesn't look that realistic, it gives realistic results. Engaging someone who has a loaded gun in their hands  in 1 on 1 melee is a suicide and shouldn't be encouraged in FH2. Yes, it can be done in real life, but only if you manage to disable the gun from the start using the element of surprise (for example grab the barrel as the enemy is coming over a corner etc.) If you fail to do this, you are dead.

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06-02-2011, 13:02:17 »
@ Djinn : Maybe you should tell those guys they haven't any semblance of a ww2-feel then ...

As for the backward move, I'm pretty sure the soldiers of WWII were trained hard enought to know where to put their feet in battle...

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06-02-2011, 18:02:20 »
I can run/jog backward, but I can't sprint. I say keep it as-is.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06-02-2011, 18:02:11 »
@ Djinn : Maybe you should tell those guys they haven't any semblance of a ww2-feel then ...

As for the backward move, I'm pretty sure the soldiers of WWII were trained hard enought to know where to put their feet in battle...

Correct me if I'm wrong,l but these are VERY rare weapons.

Ok, now the way I understand FH2 to work, the game tries to create the feel of WW2 for a regular soldier. So we have pickup kits, kit limiting etc, not just for balance, but more importantly, to represent the ratios and order of WW2... Now we don't have those in currently - And might NEVER, because by the ratios, those would likely be under a 0 chance of being in, based on current scale.

So you're not exactly making a strong point for their inclusion imo. Just like being able to hide in cupboards, it was rare enough not to be included into gameplay, so as not to eject a player from that feeling of what WW2 would really be like.... kinda like running backwards, drawing out your weapon or reloading at the same time. while some other guy dashes towards you and tries to stab you... having to stop because he cannot stab and dash at the same time, and hence allowing you to keep ahead of his knife edge... IMO, that is called an exploit

I would also want melee weapons to have the inverse effect of mgs i.e not being able to use them in prone... Sure you can, but with heavy clothing, your position wont afford for a strong enough thrust to kill a man. And if you get shot and stab the guy at the same time, it makes no sense why he should die, and you just bleed....IMO, prone knifing should also go.

« Last Edit: 06-02-2011, 18:02:34 by djinn »