Author Topic: Cannot Launch FH2 - Weirdness. Help Needed  (Read 981 times)

Offline pvtgmerpyleusmc

• View Profile
Cannot Launch FH2 - Weirdness. Help Needed
« on: 02-09-2018, 23:09:43 »
when I tried to launch FH2 earlier, it refused my connection.  I went into the launcher, showed my user password.  Noted it was correct.  Then when I tried to launch I saw this:

Connecting to GameSpy Server.
An error occurred while verifying "pvtgmerpyleusmc" GameSpy account:

Couldn't connect to bfewaw.com server.    <-- This seems really odd.  What does the bfewaw.com server have to do with FH2 authentication?

I didn't think FH2 still relied on GameSpy.  Why am I seeing this, and why can I no longer play?  Any ideas / assistance would be appreciated.  No internet issues.  Nothing seen from Windows firewall about application blocked.

Offline blander

• View Profile
Re: Cannot Launch FH2 - Weirdness. Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: 02-09-2018, 23:09:24 »
I got the same problem too.

Offline pvtgmerpyleusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-09-2018, 23:09:31 »
Now it just crashed to desktop after I tell it to skip Gamespy.

I have also set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 8 and I've tried doing a repair.   However, there are no peers.

Decided to punt and to download the install files from the download page here (Google drive).  If you guys have any ideas, please let me know what to do to fix this issue.  Thanks.

Seems Fixed  Applied the change here ( http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=6599.0 ) and set it to XP (service pack 3) compatibility.  It still seems to hang up a bit and I get an Nvidia warning about running below the recommended resolution, but I was able to launch and connect to a CMP server.   Note that I did not re-install FH2.

Question for Devs: Since Gamespy no longer works, does the FH2 browser rely on the WAW FH2 server being up and running?  I ask because after I got it working I started playing around with the filters for the server browser.  If I disable PB, I can see one for WAW that is out there?  Just curious.   Also - the 762 servers are down.
« Last Edit: 03-09-2018, 00:09:30 by pvtgmerpyleusmc »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-09-2018, 03:09:27 »
AFAIK FH2 relies on the WaW server to “login.” It was down for a bit today because they’re upgrading some things but it should be back now. This happens from time to time.

About 762
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=21808.msg358372#new

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-09-2018, 05:09:32 »
No offense to WaW but I really wish FH2 would join up with PR and use their master server thing.  We could even offer a download for PR players.  I successfully installed FH2 as a mod of PR and played on the MP servers with no problem.  It can be done and done easily.

Offline pvtgmerpyleusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-09-2018, 15:09:26 »
Thanks Matt for answering my question about the WaW server.  That makes perfect sense now. 

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-09-2018, 19:09:11 »
In order to prevent any further confusion about this, the error message is now "Couldn't connect to gamespy backend on bfewaw.com server." :)
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---