Author Topic: In the news...  (Read 15855 times)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
Re: In the news...
« Reply #90 on: 19-12-2013, 04:12:53 »
Sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial was a fake.

The man stood on stage with nearly 100 heads of state, including President Barack Obama, who all gave speeches to honor Mandela, and was actually interpreting nothing, making unintelligible signs.

It's still unclear how the unidentified man was able to get on the memorial's stage and begin his translation charade. Druchen notes that the same man has been caught doing this before. According to the AP, sign language frauds are common in South Africa. People who know a few signs try to pass themselves off as professionals to make some quick cash, and those who are hiring interpreters usually don't know sign themselves, so they are unable to detect a fake from a professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpPvGP_GUXs

Incredible. Apparently McDonalds performs more in-depth background checks than South Africa.

::)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 19-12-2013, 06:12:26 »
South Africa is a backwater place now. No different than other unsafe place you can think of in African continent. I think Kenya is way better.

So, my colleague's friend, a Taiwanese, just landed in Joburg, board his pick up service and onto the highway. Suddenly, the car experienced a problem and the driver pulled into emergency lane. So, they get out from the car, while his girlfriend trying to hitchhike a ride. One van stopped, pulled her in, and dashed away. It is a human trafficking syndicate. He lost his girlfriend forever, the police still couldn't find her after 2 years, maybe she was sold to some other African countries already. It was back in 2009. People suspected that they have been spied once they arrived in the departure hall. The gangs spotted unwary tourists and followed them, waiting to catch them off-guard.

South African highway has a lot of carjackers as well, people lining up in the roadside pretending to catch a ride carries weapons that they will use to hijack your car. So my boss' friends went on safari trip. His van experienced a tire blow out, but the driver keep on. Worried, he asked him to stop, but the driver, being experienced told him that if he stop, they will be immediately mugged by those roadside bandits.

I think we easily overlooked all these problems because deep in the American-liberal side of ourselves, we all want to support the popular Politically Correct cause that South Africa has been fighting. This problems will give the troubled rainbow nation bad rep and potentially set back that dream. Keep in mind, most of the crime victims are black and Asians (people of Indian descent), since whites are minority there. I think, the most impoverished indigenous people there would dare to speak "back then in the apartheid era..." same like Indonesians lamented about the dictatorship regime seeing the rampant corruption nowadays, "back then in the Soeharto era..." It is even sadder that Nelson Mandela has gone away, and Desmond Tutu seemed to have retired.

No wonder Jacob Zuma (who is under investigation over corruption allegation) is booed in the funeral.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 20-12-2013, 17:12:21 »

Oh look, a presidential decree. Khodorkovsky has been pardoned.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 21-12-2013, 02:12:00 »
Reminds me to Berlin 1936. The laws against jews persisted, but the implementation was paused by decree.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 23-01-2014, 08:01:48 »
I like that nuclear technology is getting mainstream:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-25855041

But I am more worried about cocaine addicts operating a nuclear power plant.

Yeah, sovereignty is everyone's right, but that doesn't mean it's okay to poison other people to take revenge on what they have done in the past (American soft imperialism) to your people. It is time for these people to enlarge their asshole (a Japanese urban idiom), and move on, embrace the current situation with level head. So, if Bolivia could advance with high tech such as this along with their victimisation attitude, I'm very happy.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 23-01-2014, 19:01:29 »

Oh look, a presidential decree. Khodorkovsky has been pardoned.

What does it say?

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 03-02-2014, 11:02:03 »
Meanwhile, about 3 weeks in Jakarta, the situation has been like this:

http://rt.com/op-edge/indonesia-flooding-natural-disaster-414/?fb_action_ids=10151928116679013&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=.Uu8uAcA2mhY.like&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[699705810052513]&action_type_map=[%22og.likes%22]&action_ref_map=[%22.Uu8uAcA2mhY.like%22]

I am glad RT Andre Vltchek has given heavy-handed opinion about the real situation in Indonesia. Yes, we elected new "heroic" governor for Surabaya and Jakarta a year ago. The western media is overly excited about it. But it has come to no effect if the "monkeys" are still rampant here and everywhere. It is too difficult to implement change to human, let alone monkeys.

Meanwhile, on the other side of RT, being Russian and under Putin that is:

http://rt.com/op-edge/ukraine-police-brutality-force-529/

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 03-02-2014, 14:02:06 »
Since when is RT talking about disasters with such florid expressions like 'nature strikes back' and 'mother nature', like they give a damned about nature in russia themselves?

And then, about the Ukraine: They glorify the restraint of the police, comparing it with the deadly force US officers would use. I mean, why don't they compare the reaction with syrian police officers instead? Bad comparison, ehh?

I tell you why the cops don't do anything. There is unrest in 23 of 25 provinces in the Ukraine, while the cops got carted from the provinces into the capital to protect it. The cops are done and tired, they cannot control the crowd nor deal the unreast without political concessions to calm the rioters.
And the loyality of some police units might be questionable, just like the loyality of the army, some parts might defect as well.
So, if they call in the army, it is civil war in the Ukraine.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 03-02-2014, 15:02:55 »
Since when is RT talking about disasters with such florid expressions like 'nature strikes back' and 'mother nature', like they give a damned about nature in russia themselves?

Well in Soviet Russia.... anyway,

If you read the article carefully, you can clearly picture that their motive is to dispel all the "western media propaganda" about their excitement on Indonesia. Yes we are growing economy, but hold your horses. We do it by really exploiting rising commodity prices. Crude Palm Oil (CPO) and low calorific value coal exports are our main business. 5 years ago everyone was a sudden business experts and get their own mining permits (or land permits, if you are thuggish enough to fight with local thugs, since they own land by claiming it like thugs) and start doing business irresponsibly. By 2010's projection, Indonesia's coal deposit will run out in 11 years if we didn't dig deeper (which costs outweigh the benefits due to our cheapass low calorific coal). The government just don't care and join the "economic success" bandwagon just because they want to get popularity without having any idea what caused the success.

The thing is, the article has some bits of truths in it. I can safely say, we are more capitalistic than USA. Picture this: you can own a mega corporation, murder competitions, get away with violating law, and well ignore environmental conditions, then proceed with profits. Let's see how those greedy property developer/multi-conglomeration reclaims a lot of land on top of protective mangrove forests? They can pretty much bullshit about "going green" and donate money to Buddhist organization doing recycling and other miniscule environmental skits, but it won't undo the damage they done to Jakarta's coastline. Since 1985, that Mangrove forest area is now mostly gone, so no more breakwater for Jakarta's coastline, no more water absorption. So the RT's article title is pretty much accurate.

http://www.antaranews.com/video/6936/reklamasi-teluk-jakarta-rusak-hutan-mangrove (video in Indonesia, but you just need to see the images)

Indonesia is one of the countries in the world where the people only cares about their personal image, rather than doing something to earn it, and Jakarta is the ultimate poser's city. So you just need to project big poster saying "going green" and liking so many environmentally concerned Facebook pages to strike a good image. It happens with a lot of unused ad spaces that already ruin the city's scenery. Most of which aren't really safe and dominated by cigarette ads.

And then, about the Ukraine: They glorify the restraint of the police, comparing it with the deadly force US officers would use. I mean, why don't they compare the reaction with syrian police officers instead? Bad comparison, ehh?

Well, I know you don't like Russia. But calm down a bit. Let's compare to how Russian police handle protest about the last election eh..? Silence? Restraint? Check!

But behind all that: mysterious kidnapping, random missing person, torture, coercion, etc. You just don't see that. We Indonesians are all well too familiar with regime of terror, unlike most fluent RT readers probably. So, every time I see freedom fighters trying to defend their rights and bla-bla-bla, and the opposition says otherwise and tries to badmouth the demonstrators... well, there is always the back alley where they secretly settle the scores. And this is usually very bad for the innocents.

From what we have seen, is pretty clear: Eastern Europe is not ready for democracy. They need to calm down. And until they can safely chow down more alcohol without resorting to violence, then we can call on democracy.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 03-02-2014, 15:02:27 »

Well that is a general problem these days, people talk about nature like it is a thing. Many have this idea that we humans "upset the balance" of things, which strikes me as an extraordinarily stupid thing to say. It reminds me of primitive paganism, where priests looked for clues about the god's will in nature. Nature never was and never will be in "balance". Nature is chaos, nature is struggle, nature is extinction. I think we should not worry about nature, but about humanity at this point.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 04-02-2014, 05:02:53 »
Le Post.

Most of the people are extremely critical of India, both here and abroad, especially our "free" media. My father spent a few years in SA and Ethiopia, and he always said that there is way too much negativity about India and self flagellation by a large section of our middle class, but compared to many other countries it is much, much better.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 04-02-2014, 06:02:50 »

Well that is a general problem these days, people talk about nature like it is a thing. Many have this idea that we humans "upset the balance" of things, which strikes me as an extraordinarily stupid thing to say. It reminds me of primitive paganism, where priests looked for clues about the god's will in nature. Nature never was and never will be in "balance". Nature is chaos, nature is struggle, nature is extinction. I think we should not worry about nature, but about humanity at this point.

The great prophet George Carlin pretty much sums it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

Although we fuck up much things IMO

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 04-02-2014, 17:02:42 »
Microsoft got a new boss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25973762

He is Satya Nadella, head of Cloud and Enterprise in Microsoft. Well, something new. I hope he won't continue the path of stupid Windows 8. We need serious computing, not dumbed down interface!

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 04-02-2014, 22:02:11 »
Head of Cloud Services? Grab as many Win7 OEM keys as you can (as retail is not sold anymore), because that sounds like dire news for the direction of future versions of Windows. You thought Win8 was worse than Vista? What if Win9 by default saves everything into cloud and even runs partially off cloud? (*projectile vomit*)

Yah, I know, Linux, but every distro I've seen in action is (compared to Win7 - I ain't touching 8 with a hundred-metre pole) still too clumsy/too much 80's/too original for its own good/requires too much effort/all of the above (plus not running all Windows games and progs even through Wine, and not having as much or as good native software - no, clumsily disguised command line program is not a replacement for GUI in the 2010's). That the user community STILL has the "RTFM" attitude, and considers everyone who doesn't want to learn hundred rows of command line syntax a lamer, doesn't make it any more enticing.