Author Topic: Abbey of Sant'Antimo  (Read 3184 times)

Offline valleyman

• View Profile
    • My Art Blog
Abbey of Sant'Antimo
« on: 12-08-2014, 09:08:27 »
Here is the start of the abbey model for a map I am working on.  I started out detailing portions and finally realized that I need to get a basic block out for a quicker export to the editor for testing purposes.  There are parts that are rough and others with more detail because of this.  There isn't much to criticize yet but in the upcoming days I'll be showing more and more progress and hopefully you guys can give me some much needed insight.  I will definitely need some help for exporting as I've tested the process with a simple box and had problems. 

If you noticed the link to my blog then you can see that I started progress on this map over a year ago.  I was PC-less during most of this period and now I finally have the time and resources to finish this.
« Last Edit: 12-08-2014, 09:08:03 by valleyman »

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
Re: Abbey of Sant'Antimo
« Reply #1 on: 12-08-2014, 10:08:10 »
Nice job with that church.I hope you will complete your level,map because i just(2 days ago ) started working on my map for FH2 :)
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-08-2014, 10:08:19 »
Nice work! Good luck with finishing your map!

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-08-2014, 18:08:09 »
Looks great! Hope to see more progress soon!

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-08-2014, 21:08:25 »
33 days including finishing up that model. Sounds like you're on a tight schedule there :).

I can help out with exporting that static when you're done with it.

Offline valleyman

• View Profile
    • My Art Blog
« Reply #5 on: 13-08-2014, 05:08:00 »
That would be much appreciated Stubb.  Thanks everyone for the comments and I"ll post another update in the morning.  Can't wait to see your progress Ivancic.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-08-2014, 12:08:22 »
I have a realiy nice idea(you can see Suggestions/One YugoslavNDH map topic)but im stuck with heigtmap thing.And here on forum there is no seperate topic about to be like topic How to make Eastern front :-\

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-08-2014, 15:08:14 »
I have a realiy nice idea(you can see Suggestions/One YugoslavNDH map topic)but im stuck with heigtmap thing.And here on forum there is no seperate topic about to be like topic How to make Eastern front :-\

Hey dude, Google is your friend.
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/tutorials/heightmaps.php
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/tutorials/geocontrol.php
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189-modding-tutorials/69889-how-make-awesome-maps-dem-geo2-image-heavy.html

Goes on.. ;)

Offline valleyman

• View Profile
    • My Art Blog
« Reply #8 on: 14-08-2014, 11:08:27 »
Ok, update guys.  Many questions left unanswered for me including: if my proportions are correct, how is the scale in comparison to the player, what is max tricount, etc.  I feel these will be answered when I'm able to get this in game and via trial and error.  Still, I'm sure no FH developer or even BF2 modders out there use Maya for their modeling purposes, so this will be a big test.  I know how to set up proper hierarchy and collision meshes in Maya but I don't know how these will transfer when I export as .obj and import to 3d Max.  I know I will not be able to export this in Maya so either Gmax or 3d Max is my only option. 

Anyways, here are a few shots of what I've completed on the blockout.  Sorry for the print screens, I really do hate rendering in Maya.

Once again, this is just a blockout.  I'm missing a lot of details, especially in the interior.  I'm also missing a few doorways, and a couple of other entry points I have planned in the final model.  This is just al test to see how I will get this whole process working.  Tomorrow, I will finalize by deleting all unnecessary faces, details, finish modeling the main and tower roofs, and it should be ready for export.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-08-2014, 12:08:41 »
Pretty damn awesome man! I can't help you, but I wish you good luck with this & keep going :)

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14-08-2014, 14:08:51 »
WOW!Im still on Fenrings tutorials about map and you are here making master piece :)Nice

Offline valleyman

• View Profile
    • My Art Blog
« Reply #11 on: 14-08-2014, 15:08:50 »
Thanks guys, your words of encouragement are very motivating.

Offline Nissi

• Developer
  • Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14-08-2014, 16:08:49 »
Intersting. Keep it up!  :)

Just as an idea: did you already texture some assets with the BF2 Static Mesh Material Setup?
Usually you can save a lot of time by coping over non-unique items such as pillars etc. after texturing and lightmapping.

For the export from Maya: We have one Developer that used to create his meshes and uv maps within Maya but exported it first to 3ds Max 9 (max. version for working export).

As I'm not aware about your technical know-how I just give you this link which might be helpful for you. http://www.bytehazard.com/bfstuff/lightmaptutorial/

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14-08-2014, 20:08:41 »
I am still waiting for the announcement of the church simulator  :D

Offline valleyman

• View Profile
    • My Art Blog
« Reply #14 on: 15-08-2014, 12:08:55 »
Almost there with the block out guys.  I worked on the second floor interior windows, the roof, and the tower windows.  It's sitting at 12250 tris and is very unoptimized.  Still some exterior details to do like the first floor windows, a few doors, and windows in the back near the rounded area.  Also, will work on a set of interior furniture for modularity.

There are a few other screen shots on my photobucket if anyone wants to see more.  I probably already am going overkill with this many.

Nissi, almost everything is modular here so, when I'm ready, I can quickly uv map one asset and then just copy and paste.  I saw that light map tutorial awhile ago and will definitely reference it when the time comes.  Thanks for reminding me.  Did that ex dev set up his hierarchy and collision meshes in Maya or Max?  Also, I have 3D Max 9 but when I try to export I'm getting an error because of .dds.  Windows 7 is really a pain in the ass for BF2. 

I thought FH2 was already a church simulator Oberst O_O :P

Edit: Screenies should work now.  I forgot to update the links after I moved them into their own album on Photobucket.
« Last Edit: 15-08-2014, 14:08:03 by valleyman »