Author Topic: Civilization V - The Thread  (Read 15081 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: Civilization V - The Thread
« Reply #135 on: 29-09-2010, 21:09:37 »
The intro is just too awesome

Too bad it shows vikings and Ragnar ain't in it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPu26IXwob8

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 30-09-2010, 00:09:16 »
I seem to have found an extremely easy way to win at this game(won't work on Pangea maps though)

1)Don't explore any of the ruins you find at the beginning of the game.
2) Get a pikeman or a similar unit that takes a very long time to become obsolete
3) Explore all the ruins with that one unit, leveling it up from the occasional "your troops have found advanced weapons" events.
4)Destroy your enemies with the mechanized infantry you now have in 500 A.D. I haven't tried it with cavalry yet but I assume having tanks would work equally well.

It might not be much fun to kill NPCs in this way, but it's pretty hilarious to make your friend think you're 1500 years ahead of him in tech.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 30-09-2010, 05:09:07 »
I am :| Hi, and I am a proud owner of Civilization 5. I suspect with the coming weeks, that I will have many neardeath experiences due to lack of sustenance while playing this game. Thank you.

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Bravo3945

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 30-09-2010, 06:09:11 »
Got it in the mail finally I like it!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 30-09-2010, 08:09:07 »
I seem to have found an extremely easy way to win at this game(won't work on Pangea maps though)

1)Don't explore any of the ruins you find at the beginning of the game.
2) Get a pikeman or a similar unit that takes a very long time to become obsolete
3) Explore all the ruins with that one unit, leveling it up from the occasional "your troops have found advanced weapons" events.
4)Destroy your enemies with the mechanized infantry you now have in 500 A.D. I haven't tried it with cavalry yet but I assume having tanks would work equally well.

It might not be much fun to kill NPCs in this way, but it's pretty hilarious to make your friend think you're 1500 years ahead of him in tech.

This is theoretically possible but will only work on a low difficulty level where the chances of advanced weapons are way higher and only if you are lucky enough to live quite far off since your AI enemy is hunting those ruins as well.

Cavalry is the end for your mounted warriors branch, so no tanks. Sorry.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 30-09-2010, 23:09:10 »
This is theoretically possible but will only work on a low difficulty level where the chances of advanced weapons are way higher and only if you are lucky enough to live quite far off since your AI enemy is hunting those ruins as well.

I specified archipelago/continents specifically due to the fact that otherwise AI will go after your ruins. And although the highest difficulty I've tried it on was Normal, you only need a couple of lucky ruins to get the troops to level up thousands of years worth of upgrades with some units. Pikemen, which are easy to get early game, go to mechanized infantry in only 4 upgrades IIRC, and it's not like ruins are uncommon. Admittedly I've only tried it twice, both times on archipelago, but I don't see why it wouldn't work equally well if you had your own continent.
« Last Edit: 30-09-2010, 23:09:23 by Nerdsturm »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 01-10-2010, 08:10:54 »
Just saying, I played it on the 5th level and I got in both runs of the game 2 upgrades.
On the other hand playing as Germans I got like 10% of the barbarians joining me where the game spoke of 50%. ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 01-10-2010, 12:10:02 »
Civ V supports Steam Cloud, how awesome. I'm using two computers so it's very handy.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 01-10-2010, 17:10:52 »
I've tried playing demo many times now but everytime my game freezes eventually. Today I was extremely lucky and was able to play 64 turns before it happened. Odd thing is it doesn't matter what settings I use, be it lowest or highest, the freeze will always come at some point. :(

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 01-10-2010, 19:10:09 »
Been in love with this franchise since the original Civ came out. If I may reminisce for a second... I'll never forget showing it to a friend and him and I playing it on laptops for the first time. Eventually I noticed that my shoulders were really starting to ache. I looked at the clock, then turned to my friend:

Me:      Hey man.
Friend:  Yea
Me:      Dude, its like 4 am!
Friend:  No, that's not possible...

Haven't bought Civ V yet because, while I meet almost all the min and recommended specs,  I only have an nvidia 9600gt. That meets the minimum but not the recommended graphics card.

Has anybody tried running it with that graphics card? I would like to know if it worth playing on my system.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #145 on: 01-10-2010, 20:10:48 »
Been in love with this franchise since the original Civ came out. If I may reminisce for a second... I'll never forget showing it to a friend and him and I playing it on laptops for the first time. Eventually I noticed that my shoulders were really starting to ache. I looked at the clock, then turned to my friend:

Me:      Hey man.
Friend:  Yea
Me:      Dude, its like 4 am!
Friend:  No, that's not possible...

Haven't bought Civ V yet because, while I meet almost all the min and recommended specs,  I only have an nvidia 9600gt. That meets the minimum but not the recommended graphics card.

Has anybody tried running it with that graphics card? I would like to know if it worth playing on my system.

I got a laptop from early 2009 with a GF9300m GS series 256MB and CIV works fine, doesnt look perfect but it runs good

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 01-10-2010, 20:10:15 »
Finally i have it, i just have to finish my last Civ4 game first. I think my computer should be good enough, if not i simply just have to get a new one. Civ5 has to be played.

Offline Laffey

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 01-10-2010, 22:10:37 »
I have an NVidia 8400 and it runs fine

FH2 nick= [BoF]RoflSeal
WoT nick= RoflSeal(aka BucketSeal by hslan and TS guys)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #148 on: 03-10-2010, 16:10:59 »
So...

CIV5, now in my possession

Farewell cruel world

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 03-10-2010, 17:10:05 »
My first nuke (and last) launched was on England, Elizabeth was being a bitch and kept storing troops right next to my border.

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3