Author Topic: BF2 Spawnsystem!  (Read 29156 times)

azreal

Re: BF2 Spawnsystem!
« Reply #15 on: 20-05-2009, 03:05:51 »
Personally, I hate the SL spawn system. To un-realistic for my tastes. I'd like to see something SIMILAR to PR's system, where you must secure an area and have soldiers spawn in that way, to simulate a field post. (for the record I don't play PR) We use SL spawns at WaW and its so damn annoying allocating soldiers to hunt for SLs hiding in some random bush rather than defend a flag.

I would however support spawnable APCs on larger maps where appropriate, to simulate a much larger force of soldiers in the APC rather than just the usual 5-6 guys. Also I think the Ju52 should be spawnable as well, so that you could have much larger airborne drops with multiple soldiers.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20-05-2009, 10:05:59 »
But would the Spawnable Ju52 not destroy the Crete map and its idea and its gameplay?

About the APC? it should act like a Spawnpoint from a map? while moving or only parked?

Offline verg_6

• Crusader MkIII for life (Until 2.2, that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20-05-2009, 10:05:43 »
But would the Spawnable Ju52 not destroy the Crete map and its idea and its gameplay?

About the APC? it should act like a Spawnpoint from a map? while moving or only parked?
The JU-52 spawnpoint idea wouldn't work, I agree. Way too easy for Axis to overwhelm the Brits, the latter not having the time to regroup and prepare that was usually alloted to them while the planes were taking off and climbing.

In regards to the APC, I think it should serve as a spawnpoint regardless if it is moving or still.

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20-05-2009, 11:05:30 »
Just throwing these out there:

Would it be possible to somehow limit the number of spawns from the squadleader, i.e. only a certain amount of spawns per minute or per SL's lifetime is allowed?

Would it be posssible to add a delay before you can spawn on the squadleader, like when the timer counts down to 0 and you have selected to spawn on SL, it will take some additional seconds until you actually spawn? This way spawning off the squadleader would take (for example) twice as much time as spawning from a controlpoint/mobile spawn.

Would any of these ideas be a answer, if they are possible. Discuss.
« Last Edit: 20-05-2009, 11:05:58 by Kradovech »

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20-05-2009, 12:05:47 »
I don't think the SL spawn should be modified at all, as soon as you start modifying key vanilla components like the SL Spawn and hindering them, people will stop playing the mod, even I might get annoyed by 15 extra seconds on my spawn time. Just Look at Project Reality, 30 - 60 seconds on the spawn time in the pitch black was not fun, and made the games slow and less intense than they could have been.

Offline Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20-05-2009, 13:05:54 »
Yes, but at that point the defender would have become the attacker and attacker would have become the defender. So again, it is the same situation. Sucks for defender, rocks for attacker.

Yes, but in total the defender is still the attacker and vice versa = balance  ;)

Squads that work together and with an agressive gameplay benifit of this sl system as it should be. 

But like I also said, imagine the same thing in Normandy when the SL can hide pretty much anywhere as long as the flag is around thick vegetation (which is of course plenty on pretty much all maps).
Yes I can imagine it (though I can only dream of normandy ;) ). But it doens't matter if a sl is hiding behind bushes in normandy or in a building, bombcrater, or behind statics like they do now in the africa maps. You can't see them both. I have to wait of the Normandy release to get my opinion about it.

In general:
You can not compare SL-spawns on public servers with tournamant play where everybody knows each other, communicate through ts and have a specific targets. If you remove sl spawns you will remove teamplay of the public servers. The majority of the people on public servers don't use ingame voip and the SL spawn is the only thing what holds the squads together.   

I play a lot on hslan in squads and as SL and most of the time flags are capped by 3 to 4 guys togehter with the sl walking/driving up to the flag. Not by sneaking one sl through the line and spawn all on him at the flag.

PS how would you get an APC in the tunis map  ;)

Offline bosco

• View Profile
    • Project Reality
« Reply #21 on: 20-05-2009, 13:05:10 »
God forbid that you actually have to run for 30 seconds before getting contact...

Tunis is so small that you don't need APC or SL spawn. The Flag spawns are more than sufficient.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20-05-2009, 14:05:34 »
Just throwing these out there:

Would it be possible to somehow limit the number of spawns from the squadleader, i.e. only a certain amount of spawns per minute or per SL's lifetime is allowed?

Would it be posssible to add a delay before you can spawn on the squadleader, like when the timer counts down to 0 and you have selected to spawn on SL, it will take some additional seconds until you actually spawn? This way spawning off the squadleader would take (for example) twice as much time as spawning from a controlpoint/mobile spawn.

Would any of these ideas be a answer, if they are possible. Discuss.

nope not possible. Both!

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20-05-2009, 14:05:12 »
God forbid that you actually have to run for 30 seconds before getting contact...

Tunis is so small that you don't need APC or SL spawn. The Flag spawns are more than sufficient.

The changes don't just effect tunis though, they effect all maps, of all sizes, large, or small.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20-05-2009, 14:05:04 »
Spawning vehicles are allready a part of FH since 5 years... planes, boats, APCs, all can spawn players.

They will never replace SL, but add as an additional spawnpoint on some maps.

Personally I think SL is fine, but we need an option for the mapper who makes the map to decide if he wants them or not, it should not be auto/global.

Look, don't make an apple out of a seed (?) with this spawn business... we dont make mod and maps based on the function to bring you back in to action if you die, we concentrate on making the game fun when you are alive.. Spawning is secondary, it is irrelevant.. be it from a flag from a vehicle from SL or from thin air! it is secondary to making sure the mod and map plays well while you are alive.. this is why each map should and will have its own spawning system in FH2, never anticipate you will be able to spawn in the same way in all maps, over my dead body will we stick to that!                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
« Last Edit: 20-05-2009, 14:05:46 by Natty »

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20-05-2009, 14:05:27 »
But when I'm alive, it is very annoying that one player hide somewhere in near the flag and "spawns attack monkeys out of his butt" like someone said somewhere. Going to hunt him down to stop the stream of constantly attacking enemies means leaving your defence positions which is... weird, because you're on defence :S

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20-05-2009, 14:05:21 »
Annoying?, welcome to WW2

Offline Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20-05-2009, 14:05:45 »

OMG, If you did't understand that was a joke you have to tweak your humour a bit more. I placed the  ";)" for a reason..

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #28 on: 20-05-2009, 15:05:13 »
Going on spawnable vehicles in other mods, you would just appear in an empty seat in the vehicle (no empty seats=no spawning).  However, the spawn point only works when the vehicle is occupied by friendlies, if it is captured by the enemy they get to spawn in it instead.

Look, don't make an apple out of a seed (?) with this spawn business... we dont make mod and maps based on the function to bring you back in to action if you die, we concentrate on making the game fun when you are alive.. Spawning is secondary, it is irrelevant.. be it from a flag from a vehicle from SL or from thin air! it is secondary to making sure the mod and map plays well while you are alive.. this is why each map should and will have its own spawning system in FH2, never anticipate you will be able to spawn in the same way in all maps, over my dead body will we stick to that!
This is how it should be.  So for example, on infantry maps like Tunis (or Skafia?) you would only be able to spawn on flags, on small armour maps like Bardia you could spawn on squad leaders as well; finally, you would also be able to spawn on APCs in addition to flags and SLs on the large combined arms maps like El Alemein.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20-05-2009, 15:05:55 »
Question to anyone:

What do you think about this idea: Imagine you have a map, there are several spawnpoints placed in logical places, in-active. Places where perhaps a SL would position himself, if he was there.... Now imagine that SL spawn is disabled. These strategical places are chosen by the mapper. Players can now spawn there, if anyone from his team reaches them, and controls the area... This for one team only, pretend axis is attacking... They reach one of these positions, clear it from enemies, then they can spawn there.

Does this sound OK?.. I mean, it would be the same as SL, except it would force axis in this case to actually achieve something, to clear the area... Sort of like a flag with spawns, except it isn't a flag, it's more like a location that the SL should have chosen if it was realistic... (e.g. not behind some stupid bush).

The number of these locations could also differ from map to map
The positions could also be in a series of push-like chains, forcing the attacker to push forward, to gain more spawnpoints.

Any feelings?