Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 179704 times)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #1050 on: 10-04-2011, 13:04:42 »
Last night I watched Dead Snow as it was on TV and I was positively surprised by it. It was a fun zombie flick with a twist and total tonque-in-cheek stuff. Surely entertaining movie and I like to give it my thumbs up!

--

Hi, me again.

so i watched "tali-ihantala". and i can just recommend it to everyone. its one of the best war movies ive ever seen. thx for the information about this film, a shame i didnt know it before.

- real stugs, t-34, t-26
- panzerfausts, focke wulf and so on
- and badass finns in ambush positions

and you see the interior and combat IN those tanks

the only thing i could say "against" that movie is that i got confused what soldier did what and who is who, but thats just me confusing/ being to stupid to get all those finnish names :D

and i learned a bit finnish: perkele, perkele, perkele!

9/10

Want to learn more about Continuation War battles in 1944? Head over to my youtube channel and check out the vids I've uploaded in Wars of Finland playlist on top right. I will keep uploading as long as theres videos to upload and naturally I will provide subtitles to them.

I wouldnt mind a subscribe either if you did that. ;)

« Last Edit: 10-04-2011, 13:04:55 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: 16-04-2011, 22:04:43 »
Currently watching

The Bunker - the Evil Within 9/10

Great movie really loved it.

Watched :

American History X

8/10

Nice movie liked it a lot SPOILERS: (excluding the rape , god damn that bitch had his ass owned literally , i mean 6 stitches!) Loved that he finally found out that politics/marking groups is bullshit and you should treat people as individuals and not ethnically/racially/by color . Still wonder what he might have done if the movie continued after his bro's death.A school shootout?
« Last Edit: 16-04-2011, 23:04:03 by MaJ.P.Bouras »

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: 16-04-2011, 22:04:24 »
Currently watching

The Bunker - the Evil Within

A nice move so far so good . Will watch it fully later on tonight when ghosts come out to play :D

Watched :

American History X

8/10

Nice movie liked it a lot (excluding the rape , god damn that bitch had his ass owned literally , i mean 6 stitches!) Loved that he finally found out that politics/marking groups is bullshit and you should treat people as individuals and not ethnically/racially/by color . Still wonder what he might have done if the movie continued after his bro's death.A school shootout?

thanks i didndt watch that movie yet :)
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: 16-04-2011, 23:04:24 »
Thanks for quoting my spoilers so even if i edit it people will see it.You make my job easy!  :)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1054 on: 17-04-2011, 14:04:23 »
I'm gonna rediscover one of my favorite directors...

West Anderson

Started off last night with Bottle Rocket, starring Luke and Owen Wilson.

Nice little story with some great moments, dialog and also actors.

Tonight I'm going for Rushmore and after that I got some real classics!

- The Royal Tenenbaums
- The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
- The Darjeeling Limited
- The Fantastic Mr.Fox

Biiviz

« Reply #1055 on: 17-04-2011, 16:04:24 »
I'm watching what I always watch when I'm hungover and feel like crap but still laugh at anything...

Jackass!

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: 17-04-2011, 20:04:38 »

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1057 on: 18-04-2011, 21:04:36 »
Whoa, did not see that one. Thanks Moose, Wes Anderson is correct.

Anyhow, The Royal Tenenbaums

It's almost too awesome, too perfect, too good.

Every aspect, every scene, every line.

10 out of 10

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: 19-04-2011, 15:04:06 »
Paul - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092026/
I just watched this yesterday in the cinema.
Before yesterday i didnt even know that this movie existed, and it has Simon Pegg & Nick Frost in them. The heroes of Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz and others.
Although i am German i generally prefer to watch movies in English and i rarely go to the cinema at all, only once or twice a year, so this felt a bit weird to me watching it in German.
Quite a few jokes got lost in translation but in general it was a nice funny movie.

Plot sum up: contains some minor ***SPOILERS***

Our 2 heroes come from Britain and visit the US and more precisely comic-con and then make a round trip in an RV to visit famous UFO sites like area 51, rosswell etc.

on their journey the alien "Paul" who just escaped from long government holding finds refuge in their RV and now they are on the run from the government.

So the 2 nerds and the alien have a nice trip, some adventure and a lot of fun.

*** END SPOILERS***

The fun is often targeted at nerds, which i appreciated but sometimes it seemed a bit too forced. The effects were good, the alien PAUL itself looked and acted very well, a likable character.
Most of the shenanigans that happen are fun.

In general this is a fun movie, if you like Simon Pegg & Nick Frost and their other movies you should like this too. It is by no means as awesome as shaun of the dead but still very entertaining.

Some great laughs were when the 2 enter a mid western American bar and the live band is playing the star wars cantina band song ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytqeOcsQKGM&feature=related )  for 2 seconds the cinema was all quite and then most people burst out in laughter.

tl:dr
i would give this a 7/10, it is a funny comedy movie with nice jokes although sometimes they seemed a bit to forced and likable characters. Enjoyable Popcorn flick but nothing major or groundbreaking.

Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: 19-04-2011, 15:04:52 »
Paul - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092026/

Dammit, you beat me to it. Basically what he ^^ said. I expected more of a verbal one-liner movie, with a pun in every sentence, but what I got was actually a super sweet, funny and relatable little road-movie. Plus a heap of my favorite current comedy actors appearing in cameo's. A lot of little in-jokes, but thankfully the people behind this movie realised that you need to have a proper story and chemistry between characters first, if you want your movie to be a little more memorable. I liked the throwback wonderous (is that a word?) attitude of the movie, harking back to a time when sci-fi movies didn't really need overblown effects to entertain.  So, a solid ***, or 7/10 indeed

But damn, do they still dub foreign films in Germany?  ???
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: 19-04-2011, 19:04:16 »
Watched Jackboots on Whitehall

9/10

I'm not a movie critic but this one I really like, especially because of how it ends ;D
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1061 on: 19-04-2011, 21:04:14 »
Summer of '42

So I was going through this list of American movies from the 60's and 70's (my favorite period in American cinema) and found this movie.

Mixed reviews and considered a typical New Hollywood wave movie.

The story looked good on paper, a small beach community during the summer of 1942, a young man and an older woman engaged to a man currently serving in the air force overseas, a love affairs occurs!

Sounded like a Mrs.Robinson story with a twist, right?

It ain't

90% of the movie is about the main character Herman and his buddies talking about getting laid, how you get laid and how you don't get laid with some really weird scenes.

Somewhere, around ten minutes before the ending the (anti)climax is reached, the young man and the older woman meets and share a passionate night.

The last 10 minutes of the movie after that is spent on scenes where the young man walks around the beaches, starring at the horizon looking confused.

4 out of 10

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: 19-04-2011, 22:04:12 »
Just rewatched Gran Torino, this time in English.
Great movie, with a good plot and great actors. I really love Clint Eastwood as a disgruntled, old man and especially how that cute Asian girl slowly starts to "melt his heart". The ending is superb and very unforseen. If you, by any chance have missed this movie, go and watch it!

9/10
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: 20-04-2011, 14:04:03 »
Watched "Das Boot"

10/10

No need to say anything,just go watch the movie if you (shamefully) haven't already

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: 20-04-2011, 16:04:22 »

But damn, do they still dub foreign films in Germany?  ???

yes they do, and i guess will never stop. as stated above i rarely go to the cinema, mostly watch the English originals at home. rarely you find small cinemas that screen in the original language, and then those films are mostly french or whatever rarely english. at least not where i live.
thing with dubbing is the voice actors, for the "big stars" they are usually very good but the problem is some of them start talking with themselfs in some movies since one voice actors usually does several star voices. and of course some jokes and context gets lost in the translation.
Live Long & Die Happy