Author Topic: EXPERIMENTAL AI SOLUTIONS FOR SP/COOP (Community effort)  (Read 61811 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
I will update this thread on all issues that are still prevailing so please give the feedback. cF... any chane you could sticky this?

UPDATED 13/10/10

Critical Issues
  • MG34 Lafette/ MG42 Lafette or both cause a CTD, as noted in PHL
  • Double Cap issue - Can we find a final fix?

AI Issues
  • Bots will use the .30 cal in extremely rare cases (Seen it happen just once) but will quickly bail making the gun lost to the player since they don't fire it first. Also, the fact that they bail from a stationary gun at all is an issue.
  • PIAT disabled
  • Bot could use stationary mgs, especially the bipod mg42, tripod mg42 and especially deployables; tripod ?vikers and .30 cal more
  • Bot tanks can't fire smoke without losing priority to fire anything else
  • Infantry, since 2.25 have large numbers idling at flags... a fact that was previously unheard of in this engine
  • Courtesy of work done between 2.2 and 2.25 on tank locomotion, I think in an attempt to make tanks move like i and others had requested i.e firing, stopping to aim, firing, tanks have an issue of idling indefinitely, especially noted in Mersa Matru, El Alamein, Supercharge and Gazala

Map Issues
  • None thanks to Stellar work from Remick04

Things to test - AI
  • Bots are unlikely to hit anything in strafing runs, especially using mgs - May be because they fire only when close to the target - I don't want us to sidestep this by making them fire only cannon. I know bots can fire more accurately than people if we got this right. Oddly enough, they do fire cannon from further off, with only limited LOS for mgs...
  • Howitzers fire but cannot fire at great ranges. Although it works for now, I want us to explore other means of further increasinng their range. If we can somehow raise their point of view or POV without blocking the spawn point or move in alot foward so they can see 'into the battlefield more
  • I'm thinking that, making bots use smoke like they use AT sticky bombs and such i.e runinng up the tankwill make them less vulnerable, currently they waltz there. Still need to figure out how to make them toss just one and get back to fighting
  • I want to see if we can get bots to pick kits sensibly i.e more assualt than squad leaders, more riflement than heavy mgs, more engineers than AT, so that it works roughly within the kit limiting system and improves immersive gameplay

Things to test - Maps
  • Fleeting hope of getting bots to use the boats to get to the cliffs on PDH... I'm thinking of them not climbing obviously, but driving to the cliffs and acting as cover fire for players to scale the cliff and having that top non-flag spawn being activated immediately anyone gets to the top. I think there is a way to make bots suicide once they cannot move. I think once the enemy stops firing at them, they will suicide naturally, spawning atop the hill - Unless we somehow get to figure out how to get bots to climb ropes :-D
« Last Edit: 03-04-2012, 15:04:38 by djinn »

Offline aserafimov

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: The Single Player Fan Project: Work to be done and feedback
« Reply #1 on: 13-07-2010, 05:07:32 »
@djinn

let's say that all tanks on Villers Bocage 64-size already will use bridges to cross the river... it's according to my latest version of Villers Bocage 64-size. ;D
also all tanks are locked...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-07-2010, 08:07:17 »
*POOP!* now you see you, now you don't...

Great work Aser..

cF, can you please sticky this up?
« Last Edit: 13-07-2010, 08:07:13 by djinn »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-07-2010, 13:07:22 »
I don't have the glue... :P

Flippy or one of the other admins stickied(?) it.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-07-2010, 17:07:53 »
@djinn

let's say that all tanks on Villers Bocage 64-size already will use bridges to cross the river... it's according to my latest version of Villers Bocage 64-size. ;D
also all tanks are locked...

So wait... have you already released this? Cuz I'd so love to get my hand on that version... still haven't figured how to get the Brits to start at the main base though?

Offline aserafimov

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-07-2010, 18:07:30 »
the latest version of 64 size Vilers Bocage is not released yet... probably you have my work version of this map. I will release it, when I am back from my summer vacation. yesterday I worked over vehicle navmesh and now the tanks use only the bridges to cross the river.

for brits....I have some ideas, but will tell you later....first want to test it...if it works will be fine.
before few minutes I have tested this map with original GPO file and brits starts attack first town after approx. 5 minutes.. but the attack was ...how I say...too soft...

Offline thliaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-07-2010, 06:07:20 »
"Purple heart lane 16 player map Static MG42 problem, i just could not quit the static MG42 after i have used the MG42, i have no other choice but to press "enter" and select commit suicide to re-spawn again in order to quit the MG42."

Anyone of you experience this?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-07-2010, 10:07:50 »
Anyone else noted this issue? Which exact mg? There might be something blocking its exit point. Do you get a sound to tell you can't exit?

I also note that the Brits will never use their PIATs. Now I thought this was solved in the 2.26 release or at least Drawde, you had come up with some temporary solution, where even though out of ammo, it would still bring up the animation? Wasn't that a viable, albeit temporary solution?
« Last Edit: 14-07-2010, 14:07:16 by djinn »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-07-2010, 10:07:50 »
While I was playing Lebisey I noticed bots using the PIAT, but this was before I "installed" Drawde's new mod...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-07-2010, 10:07:30 »
Hmm, seems I recall WinterHilf saying he'd fixed the darn thing... I guess Drawde was still working off his 0.3 BETA 1 and didn't change it reflect that...

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14-07-2010, 10:07:43 »
"Purple heart lane 16 player map Static MG42 problem, i just could not quit the static MG42 after i have used the MG42, i have no other choice but to press "enter" and select commit suicide to re-spawn again in order to quit the MG42."

Anyone of you experience this?

That MG is the mg42_bipod_ai
which has no exit point
ObjectTemplate.dontAllowExit 1
so bots cant exit it,keeping bots always on it,until they die
to have it exitable,change this
mg42_bipod_ai

to this,in the GPO file
mg42_bipod
which has an exit point

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14-07-2010, 14:07:21 »
Potential Aquisition: AI Sniper vehicle

I came up with an idea to allow SPers to have snipers in Singleplayer. Do y'all recall the guy who did the Omaha map way back... From, not sure which Asian Country... He also did a trench map

Well, he had this funny vehicle, if you all recall which appeared out of nowhere as a mg42 tripod at key locations in the trenches atop the hill. Now, I ?think it was based on the vehicle not being visible until the bot spawned in it or entered it... A similar principle exists here

We somehow come up with a sniper vehicle that will appear like a man aiming down the sights of the rifle with a much greater line of sight than most rifles, and like most vehicles, not suffer from recoil... but with low ROF ofcourse...

Put this in towers and sniper haunts and you can get bots to spawn in them, lock some ofcourse to make it active to only, say, the German side... A bot spawns on the gun making it all visible, can swivel in 360 degrees, wont exit it and will snipe anyone who comes close.

Bots can neutralize the threat by either climbing up there and gutting the guy a la Cobra's Church, fire as much as possible and score a lucky hit, use riflegrenades or have a tank HE-kiss the place to death...

I have confirmation that the idea is sound, but the work rests on whoever can develop the vehicle for us

any suggestions, takers, opinions?

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15-07-2010, 11:07:52 »
Sounds OK to me, but I'd have to try it out to be certain.

I get the feeling it could be too "overpowered" if it's placed where it has a clear field of view, i.e: the bots are accurate enough at long range with the rifles. Give 'em a sniper rifle and they'll be dropping anything that moves (that's not in a vehicle) before it gets anywhere near close enough to retaliate.

If anyone has the map, there shouldn't be any need to develop it, just copy the vehicle's code.

Might need to get the creator's permission first though... :-\

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15-07-2010, 11:07:43 »
Why? It simply stands in for pickup snipers at key locations...

Like I was playing Fall of Tobruk (Didn't get a CTD at all btw) and was picking off the attacking germans with me Pattern 14 rifle and was thinking, wont it heaven to have bots able to do this?

Ofcourse we might need to work on bot responses a bit, since infantry seem to get transfixed with a task be it moving up to knife a guy or preparing to launch a rifle-grenade or throw smoke at, or a sticky bomb on, a tank... lots of my victims didn't even both firing back at me even after succesive missed or non-fatal shots... I want bots to need to deal with entrenched infantry as agggressively as I think they once did... Smoke etc, should be second priority to their logic...

But I think this can work. Don't forget how innacurate bots are, and with alot of bots running here and there, its easy for the sniper to miss you or some other bot flanking that position and climbing up the stairs with a sharpened blade

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15-07-2010, 11:07:40 »
Potential Aquisition: AI Sniper vehicle
Do y'all recall the guy who did the Omaha map way back... From, not sure which Asian Country... He also did a trench map

ThomasLX from China