Author Topic: 127mm naval guns on Omaha  (Read 2281 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: 127mm naval guns on Omaha
« Reply #15 on: 25-04-2014, 18:04:47 »
Agreed, we need to weigh the potential that multiple independent guns can have on the gameplay versus coupled ones.

Four separate guns can fire at 4 separate targets, is that good or bad?

In a way it's good, the area being suppressed is marginally larger and the suppression can be more efficient with some coordinated timing. On the other hand less of the area around a single target will be affected. Coupled with the terrain that makes coordinates act quirky it also means barrages could become much less accurate and therefore less effective. But once people get the hang of it I believe 4 separate guns would provide more value than coupled ones in this case.

2 guys less on the beach is a good tradeoff if the Allies gain more than they lose in terms of number of moving targets on the actual beach.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25-04-2014, 22:04:08 »
Then should there not be 4 places for artillerymen instead of 2?
Similar to tanks being 1 man only, I guess. 4 guys in the ship means 2 less on the beach fighting.
ok so you have 96 guys instead of 100 on the beach not that big of a difference.  Plus with good spots those for guys could kill many more germans than a rifle man plus they can provide more smoke to cover the advancing troops.
You mean 48 instead of 50, I guess ;)

Naval arty was not pinpoint, it was more like area bombardment. This is portrayed by the guns being not super accurate ingame, but creating a huge blast in a large area.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26-04-2014, 00:04:08 »
^ Yes but that "inaccurate" arty was the big guns of the battleships and cruisers (that fell silent after the actual landing, in fear of friendly fire IIRC). Destroyers came much closer and therefore they could more accurately target the beach defenses.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...