Author Topic: FH2 maps and you  (Read 15821 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
FH2 maps and you
« on: 29-07-2009, 22:07:36 »
This is the first installment of (hopefully) many short overviews of all maps in the current build. They will be designed to give new players a idea about what the maps are about and what awaits them in terms of tricks and gameplay. Other members are more than welcome to post their own tricks and insights about the maps.

Bardia

Australia assault
vs
Italy defend

Sniper rifle positions (I know of)

1. In the Australian mainbase, in the ruined tower beside the Matilda
2. In the Australian mainbase, beside the spawn point in the Pak-Bunker
3. Directly south of City Hospital, second floor of the big building
4. At Italian hospital, in the mid tent

Overview
This is a fairly small and fast map. The Aussies have to attack 4 Italian flags, three of which are are on the other side of the river. Australia generally has the upper hand in the tank departement, especially through the heavy Matilda tank, that can not be harmed by the Italian M13/40s. It is up to the I. infantry to block all bottlenecks and rivercrossings with mines or by ambush. Many ruined buildings, debris and plant life conceal infantry against tanks. Due to the small size, all cap occurs rather often.

Flags

Wadi Outpost
This is the only flag on the Australian side. It primarily consists of a bunker guarding one of the river crossings. Spawnpoints are inside and around the bunker, but also on the other side of the river in a little slit trench. Due to a badly placed AT gun on the other bank, spawn rape per HE shells is possible, this often leeds to frustrating situation, should the outpost be the last flag in Italian hands.

City Hospital
This flag is notable due to the heavy AT emplacent watching the road. The flagzone is between the two legs of the U-shaped building complex and can be accessed through the trench system. It is overlooked by an MG-emplacement, however because of the Italian habit of using ridiculously small magazines that's a minor concern.

Italian Hospital
This is the center of the map and a good team can cap it in the first minute of the game by crossing the river between both bridges before the Italian defence is in place. The place is pretty walled of, but can be easily accessed from both the other hospital and the barracks, also through the ruined buildings in the west. These make a perfect squad leader hideout, both for attack and defense.

Italian Barracks
This flag consists of two rows of buildings, which are mostly enterable. The wooden fence around it can be destroyed by explosives. Spotters or snipers can use the watch tower to their advantage, but will usually draw tons of sniper fire from the Australian bank. Some spawn points are in the wooden area to the south. The river can be crossed from there over the half destroyed footbridge. This is a nice way to ambush tanks before they drive over the main bridge and can also be used to surprise allied infantry.

The map in on sentence
A bombed out city is under attack by river crossing tanks.

Offline Stonechater

• View Profile
Re: FH2 maps and you
« Reply #1 on: 30-07-2009, 00:07:33 »
+1  ;D

Would be nice if you draw circles around the "sniperspots" if you have the time to do it.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-07-2009, 01:07:42 »

Australia assault
vs
Italy defend

1. In the northern plantation, in the little yard on a box
2. On the big tower
3. At the village flag, near the little secondary gate, in the ground floor of the two storey building, at the MG emplacement
4. No.4 sniper in far east tent. (thanks to Kubador)

Overview
The Australians have to assault an old medieval fortress here, hold by the Italians. There is no armor except an Australian Vickers light tank, which is great to suppress Italians on the walls. Every flag has several spawn points, some of which spawn you on top of the fortifications. Many players tend to ignore everything above a certain height, so shooting from above is a nice way to get kills. You're vulnerable to enemy sniper fire from other towers and walls though. Most of the fighting takes place in the labyrinthic interior of the fortress. Memorizing all ways is almost impossible (even experienced players hit a dead end now and then).

Flags

Barracks
This flag is usually attacked from the plantation at round start. The northernmost gate is usually turned into a no go area by s-mines and nearby spawning infantry. The best route of attack is the big hole in the wall, especially if the Italians on the wall are suppressed (this can be done with the sniper rifle in the plantation building, jump into the trench with it and keep the walls enemy-free). The flagzone itself is devoid of any enemy activity disturbingly often, although hordes of Italians usually rush in once it is greyed.

Mosque
This should be common sense, but here we go: don't enter the big court. No cover and usually fire from all sides. Protip: the big cupola building can be accessed per grappling hook and makes for a great sniping spot. The tower (where the rifle is) is usually to obvious and to easily countersniped, get the rifle and get down there.

Village
The ability to cap this flag from the nearby roofs is often overlooked, but important. Get on one of them, throw down a grenade to clear the flagzone and then watch the stairs behind you for sneaky enemies while hidden behind the sandbags. Many of the roofs around the flag are interconnected by planks, allowing for surprise movements and sneaky capping.

East Giarabub
This flag is very easy to defend and often the "last outpost" of a losing Italian team. It can be accessed by the easternmost gate (easily blocked) or from inside the fortress. The latter can also be shut down quite nicely, either by smart positioning or by grenade spamming the entrance in the metal fence (very lucrative).
This flag usually only falls because noone guards it.

The map in one sentence
Helms Deep is in the desert and Italian.

« Last Edit: 30-07-2009, 19:07:29 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Sturmbocke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-07-2009, 09:07:59 »
Most important thing in defending bardia is to take breda LMG and spawn near the river crossing immediatly at the beginning. There is usually truck or two coming in and killing those / slowing them down is key thing to win time for your mates to get to defending positions.
"If a Tiger appears, send out a troop of four Sherman to destroy the panzer and expect only one to come home"

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-07-2009, 10:07:43 »
why do you have to show people the position of the kits, i rather find them myself the look them up somewhere. but thats just me i guess.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-07-2009, 15:07:20 »
This is a nice thread TS4Ever! I want something like this on the main page in the maps section..

Offline Cin3k33

• Lobo`s younger sister
    • View Profile
    • eXavs
« Reply #6 on: 30-07-2009, 18:07:38 »
Yeah!!!
I knew only about 3 sniper rifles on bardia:D, and sniper is in south tent, not middle ;)

I support Natty idea. Or you can make this topic stick in Feedback section ;D

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-07-2009, 18:07:47 »
Yeah!!!
I knew only about 3 sniper rifles on bardia:D, and sniper is in south tent, not middle ;)

oops, you're right. Which one diden't you know?

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30-07-2009, 19:07:24 »
4. No.4 sniper in far east tent.

BTW, awesome post. Salute.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30-07-2009, 20:07:11 »
Siege of Tobruk

German assault
vs.
Australian defend

1. German main, in the bunker beside the commander radio
2. British main, northernmost bunker, beside the commander radio

Overview
The Australians have to hold two defensive lines against the tank-heavy German onslaught. While the Germans have the advantage of more and better tanks, the Australians are dug in and protected by minefields and static emplacements.

First line
This one is decisive. If the Germans are able to establish a firm grip here, the Aussies have lost (unless there are like only 6 German tickets left or something). The line consists of three flags with similar layouts. Once Tobruk HQ and a second flag are capped, one flag of the second line is unlocked.
Every flag consists of a fairly shallow trench system with one 2 Pounder, one Machinegun and a mortar. There is a small underground bunker with radio and ammunition in every trench, but outside of the actual cap-zone. An anti tank ditch (mined) protects the trenches. It can be crossed safely by infantry. Other assorted bunkers and foxholes lay in the area around the positions, mostly to provide safe spawnpoints. So, how to attack these things?

Germans
Every assault should have two main components:
1. Holding down the enemy
2. Overrunning the enemy

Holding down the enemy
It is of vital importance to destroy the 2-Pounders and keep them destroyed. The most important asset here is artillery. In 90% of all rounds the Germans lose, their failure can be traced back to some childish inter-team conflict about the howitzers. If you want a lot of points on SoT, spot for artillery. Smoke is also helpful, check the minimap as artillerist to see if there are assault teams in the ditches that might need some smoke cover. You can also destroy AT guns with At rifles. Also vital are the tanks. Their main task is getting into a nice position close to the trenches and deny their use to the enemy. A squad leader in a tank can also provide a nice semi-protected spawn point.
The Australian tanks are generally inferior, however smart allied tankers will use them in a hull down position behind the crest of the hill or in a "shoot and scoot"-fashion. Spot these tanks as German infantry, so the Stuka can get rid of them or to make your tanks aware of their presence/position!

Overrunning the enemy
So the Aussies are spawnraped and stunned by tanks and artillery? time to get that flag! We're not PR here, so I will not start a lecture about "fire and movemnt" or some crap. Just do the following:
Assemble a decent infantry squad, get them in a transport, drive up to the (hopefully) suppressed flag, get into the ditch, wait for casualties to respawn. Then throw all your grenades and smoke grenades into the trench and zerg rush the bastards. Congratulations, you captured a flag of the first line!

Aussies
Read the German part and do everything to avoid the stuff proposed there. The essentials are:
1. Keep the 2-Pounders repaired.
2. Patrol the ditch. Is infantry in the ditch? Throw grenades.
3. Smoke and close assault tanks.
4. Keep the fucking 2-Pounders repaired.

Consolidation
This is the decisive phase. All to often the Germans all spawn on the captured flag, trying to get to the next one in a Leeroy Jenkins like manner. Often they leave the flag unguarded, only to be recaptured by some fellow who survived in one of the ditches. A German team that succeeds in attacking the other flags from behind as well as from their mainbase, while holding on to the other flags is usually victorious. For the Aussies: Harassing and counter attacks. The Vickers tank is nice to disrupt enemy buildup in the now German flags, the same thing can be achieved by a Bren carrier. The AT-Guns in the second line are often ignored, because every German gun is firing on the next first-line flag. Because of that it is rather easy to destroy German tanks that cross the crest of the first line to support the advance of their infantry.
The Germans have won when:
1. All AT-guns in the first line are in their hands or destroyed
2. They have enough tanks behind the first line to simply gun down every Australian attempt to counter attack.

After that it's gg. The second line flags are almost undefendable, lacking an AT-ditch and effective fortifications. After they have fallen, the Aussies get two Mathildas, but at that point those are not of great help. Sadly, the round ends up very frustrating, with the Aussies trapped in their last flag and the Germans unable to get in. The game is decided at the first line.

The map in one sentence
Defend the trenches at all cost!!!!
« Last Edit: 30-07-2009, 20:07:49 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31-07-2009, 21:07:26 »
Invasion of Crete

German airborne assault
vs.
British defend

1. German mainbase, in the tent (has parachute)
2. Rearguard, in the tent beside the spawnpoint (there also is an SMG-scout kit)
3. Maleme Airfield, in one of the Nissen huts beside the flagpole

Overview
The Germans start out at a tiny airstrip in the north. There they have to board transport planes in which they cross the sea and attack the british positions.
Make sure you have a kit with a parachute!
The following spawnable kits have chutes:
Fallschirmjäger Schütze
Offizier (Squad leader)
When you are about to board the plane, don't touch it. Contact will kill you immediately. In severe cases it can lead to a pb-kick of the pilot, which is very... suboptimal. So, be a bit careful.

There are two schools of thought. One has the pilot circling over the sea until he is high enough to be out of reach for the bofors. While this generally keeps the plane safe, the parachutists are still picked off in the air. The second tactic is coming in low and simply landing the plane, allowing the passengers to leave the plane.
A good mixture of both tactics is usually the best call. Jumping is best done in the extreme south of the map, behind rearguard and hill 112 (127? forgot the number). The hilly terrain there allows Squads to regroup out of sight and establish a bridgehead by capturing one of the backflags. Landings are generally more successful in the far east of the map, because of less Bofors. However, the terrain there is quite open, allowing Bren Carriers and the Vickers to hunt down the freshly landed troops with relative ease.

Once the Germans have landed and established a foothold, the map plays relatively open ended. Some general advice:
1. Avoid the hilltops and move below the crests
2. Beware of certain o0mn1oxious bofors rapers
3. Try to secure transports for fast attacks on flags behind the frontline (these are often ignored and a perfect opportunity to bring some movement into the battle)
4. The Vickers is annoying, but can be destroyed with AT-rifle fire (noobs often think AT rifles are totally useless against every tank)

The map in one sentence
Parachutists get raped by black puffs.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31-07-2009, 21:07:08 »
 If you find the time with respect to pick up kits, I think many of us would appreciate if you could divulge their general locations.

WRT Crete, the monastery flag has a great selection of MP40 assault kits, MG34 kits and a Gebalte ladung anti-tank kit. At Hill flag, there is a selection of Tanker kits for the Allies and the flag at Suda bay has several interesting kits to be found.

WRT Giarabub, I never get to play 64 player size much but you forgot to include Lobo's easter egg in the form of the tin-can shooting range that is in a courtyard between village and barracks flags.
 Also as a general caution, the Italian Hand grenade (bombe a mano) is one of the most useful grenades in game and as such, I recommend any Italian infantry or officer's to use their grenades every chance they get.

Great thread Ts, with some tweaks, this thread could be well on its' way to being a valuable sticky for our new FH2 comrades.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline corsair89

• Cannon fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31-07-2009, 22:07:13 »
When you are about to board the plane, don't touch it. Contact will kill you immediately. In severe cases it can lead to a pb-kick of the pilot, which is very... suboptimal. So, be a bit careful.

I thought that TKs were disabled for Ju-52 because of this.

About Giarabub, the most western square of the fort is often poor defended or undefended at all, except one s-mine or two. Plus as Brit, there is some good cover between the spawn and this entrance if you have to go on foot.  ;)

Offline Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01-08-2009, 15:08:19 »
Always funny to see a new player asking  in chat, with capslock, where the sniperkits are.

why do you have to show people the position of the kits, i rather find them myself the look them up somewhere. but thats just me i guess.

Are you afraid to get to much competion for getting the sniperkit?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01-08-2009, 17:08:56 »
Nice map-manual you made there. Will be a nice guide to new players I'm sure. Also, I learned of some new sniper rifle locations (as I'm very lazy and if I know one per map, I'll always go for that one). At Giarabub there's also a sniper rifle in the westernmost starting base for Aussies, it's in a tent together with a Bren (?) kit.

I thought that TKs were disabled for Ju-52 because of this.

The TKs are still there, the minus pints are dismissed. So a pilot would not end up with -20 at the start of the game.