Author Topic: Forgotten Hope News Update: 20th August 2009: Total War  (Read 31946 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope News Update: 20th August 2009: Total War
« Reply #225 on: 25-08-2009, 22:08:57 »
You are actually correct Biiviz, in the Finnish army, the gunner did get tank destruction badges for anti-tank guns and stugs, as well as faust, schreck, and other handheld weapons:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=4032
« Last Edit: 25-08-2009, 22:08:41 by VonMudra »

Offline LtJimmy

• Confirmed FH2 Suggestion Thread Cynic
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 26-08-2009, 04:08:50 »

The name's Wittman. Michael Wittman. 8)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 26-08-2009, 07:08:35 »

Hey Wittmann, I'm Otto Carius.

I'm also a Tiger ace. I got between 50 and 100 more tank kills then you, served on the Ostfront for almost the entire war, was in the Wehrmacht, am still alive today, wrote the book Tigers in the Mud, and run a pharmacy called Tigerapotheke.

Why does no one know about me or care about me?
« Last Edit: 26-08-2009, 07:08:40 by VonMudra »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 26-08-2009, 07:08:27 »
Cause the Nazi Propaganda dismissed him, since he wasn't part of the SS?
And he fought on the 'unimportant' front. (at least from the American perspective). ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 26-08-2009, 07:08:39 »
Nah, german propaganda loved Carius too.  My feeling is that its because Wittmann has his famous incident at Villers Bocage, and not much else.  Many seem to believe that his 25-30 or so kills at Villers were all tanks (I believe around 15 of the kills were trucks and APC, ie, defenseless vehicles), and most people forget that shortly after the engagement, he managed to get himself, another Tiger, and a Panzer 4 knocked out when he charged headlong into the actual village, and lost all 3 tanks to British 6lbers.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 26-08-2009, 08:08:17 »
and how about Kurt Knispel?

Almost 195 Kills....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Knispel

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 26-08-2009, 08:08:16 »
Yep, probably the most forgotten, and yet probably the top tank ace of all time (Carius's score is in question, it could be upwards of 200 according to some newer sources).  And don't forget Johannes Bolter....

Offline LtJimmy

• Confirmed FH2 Suggestion Thread Cynic
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 26-08-2009, 08:08:17 »
Re: VMudra

My quote "The name's Wittman. Michael Wittman." is a play on the fact that his tank has 007 on it. I'm well aware of Otto Carius and his exploits, although I was not aware that he is still alive.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 26-08-2009, 09:08:32 »
Haha, I know, and I bet that you knew Carius, but I know a lot of the newbies on here have no clue that Wittmann was by far not the greatest tanks ;)

I did not however notice the 007 part oddly enough xD  Nice one :)

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 26-08-2009, 11:08:12 »
Its a shame that these tank aces have all been mostly forgotten about, in comparison to all the other tank aces, Wittman was an arrogant, delusional person, and somewhat of a fool.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 26-08-2009, 12:08:31 »
dont forget german
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #236 on: 26-08-2009, 13:08:05 »
Its a shame that these tank aces have all been mostly forgotten about, in comparison to all the other tank aces, Wittman was an arrogant, delusional person, and somewhat of a fool.
But he got the job done. I'm not defending him nor hating him. He is just a populized figure that gets alot of honour while obviously his gunner made the kills, he led the tank to that situation, right? He wasn't a retard or something.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 26-08-2009, 13:08:29 »
But he got the job done. I'm not defending him nor hating him. He is just a populized figure that gets alot of honour while obviously his gunner made the kills, he led the tank to that situation, right? He wasn't a retard or something.
Oh no, he was far from retarded, and no doubt that he has an effective tanker. But from what ive read about him, he was bold, so bold that it was on the verge on the delusional, and in the end it cost him his life (then again, he was only in that engagement because he viewed the company commander as 'not experienced enough').
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 26-08-2009, 14:08:34 »

Hey Wittmann, I'm Otto Carius.

I'm also a Tiger ace. I got between 50 and 100 more tank kills then you, served on the Ostfront for almost the entire war, was in the Wehrmacht, am still alive today, wrote the book Tigers in the Mud, and run a pharmacy called Tigerapotheke.

Why does no one know about me or care about me?
Haha, Tigerapotheke, that's pretty cool.  I will have to remember to go there if I'm ever in Germany.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 26-08-2009, 19:08:58 »
Oh no, he was far from retarded, and no doubt that he has an effective tanker. But from what ive read about him, he was bold, so bold that it was on the verge on the delusional, and in the end it cost him his life (then again, he was only in that engagement because he viewed the company commander as 'not experienced enough').

Yep, I agree.  He fully believed the propaganda, and let it go to his head, which led to his suicidal charge at Villers (which almost cost him his life, and the lives of 3 tank crews), and the charge that led to his death.  Also, don't forget he was a loyal SS and party member.