Author Topic: [WIP] Meknassy  (Read 6957 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
[WIP] Meknassy
« on: 02-04-2009, 14:04:38 »
Hi
I recently started my first own map, mostly to get accustomed with the editor. It is based on the raid on Meknassy, a town in Tunisia. American troops raided the town and made several italian prisoners. I chose this scenario because there are not many italian maps so far and even less italian vs USA maps. In reality the raid happened at night, so I might choose to convert it to a nightmap once I start messing around with the lighting options. So far I'm mostly building the terrain and static objects. The map is small (the size of Sfakia I think) and will be infantry heavy.

Now some WIP-pictures, I will upload more as I progress:

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
Re: [WIP] Meknassy
« Reply #1 on: 02-04-2009, 16:04:38 »
  The gamer in me hates night maps..But the history nerd in me will not be able to deal with this map during the day...So torn....Looks nice so far though.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

azreal

« Reply #2 on: 02-04-2009, 17:04:13 »
Hehe Lainer. Looks good so far Ts4Ever. Can't wait to see it once its closer to completion.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-04-2009, 19:04:34 »
Good job man. Keep it up  ;)

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-04-2009, 19:04:46 »
I think the town looks like some fun combat  :).

Keep it up  ;).

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-04-2009, 23:04:29 »

I sure hope so. There will be two flags in the town, with two other cappable flags to provide spawns for counterattacks\flanking movements.
The fighting will therefore be concentrated in the relatively tight space of the town. To prevent the sort of chokepoint situation we see in Tunis I use a lot of vegetation, height differences and boxes (the town will look like a hastily assembled supply depot) to sort of "break up" lines of fire while not impairing movement as much. This will hopefully force players to close in to kill the enemy and enable them to use flanking movements, without being forced into "hoses" that can be effectively blocked.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-04-2009, 00:04:58 »

I sure hope so. There will be two flags in the town, with two other cappable flags to provide spawns for counterattacks\flanking movements.
The fighting will therefore be concentrated in the relatively tight space of the town. To prevent the sort of chokepoint situation we see in Tunis I use a lot of vegetation, height differences and boxes (the town will look like a hastily assembled supply depot) to sort of "break up" lines of fire while not impairing movement as much. This will hopefully force players to close in to kill the enemy and enable them to use flanking movements, without being forced into "hoses" that can be effectively blocked.

Ok, cool.

Also try and put in some purposeful flanking areas. Maybe a small alleyway that isn't noticeable at first glance, or something like that.

Small little flanking areas and such that draw the player into the map make it that much more fun. For me anyway  ;D.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-04-2009, 00:04:08 »
I used the "dry stone wall" object and a height difference to create a passage that can only be crossed in one direction. I was going to use it as a protected spawn point, but it turned out way more useful to get into the flag area quickly. I will try to create more of such protected passages to make safe movement into relevant positions possible.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-04-2009, 00:04:18 »
I used the "dry stone wall" object and a height difference to create a passage that can only be crossed in one direction. I was going to use it as a protected spawn point, but it turned out way more useful to get into the flag area quickly. I will try to create more of such protected passages to make safe movement into relevant positions possible.

Ok.

Once the town is further along can you give us an overhead picture?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-04-2009, 00:04:32 »
Yeah sure.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-04-2009, 03:04:46 »

Ok.

Once the town is further along can you give us an overhead picture?

Ok, I continued working on the village and finished the basic layout. The top down view below shows the planned flagzones + spawnpoints. The red mess to the west is the out of bounds area.

azreal

« Reply #11 on: 03-04-2009, 03:04:00 »
nice but...how did you render your out of bounds area. Cause its not supposed to render like that in the editor.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-04-2009, 03:04:19 »
I drew it on with paint  ;D

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #13 on: 03-04-2009, 04:04:27 »
nice but...how did you render your out of bounds area. Cause its not supposed to render like that in the editor.

lol i even realized that :P

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04-04-2009, 03:04:11 »
Looking really nice Ts!

I like how did you make that Village :)

Do you remember the size of the Map?

I think sfakia is 256.. i really dont think if its 512 heh.