Author Topic: Alam Halfa 64  (Read 24902 times)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
Alam Halfa 64
« on: 29-03-2009, 11:03:57 »
"If you have a suggestions or want to give us some Feedback about this Map you can Post it here!"

Offline hslan.GN_Angrybeaver

• FH-Betatester
  • EEVIIIIIIL BEAVER
    • View Profile
Re: Alam Halfa 64
« Reply #1 on: 09-04-2009, 17:04:13 »
3 or 4 days ago i played the map on hslan and picked the sniperkit in the british mainbase up.
that was right after the round started and i got a k98 sniperrifle. ???
can anybody confirm this?

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #2 on: 09-04-2009, 18:04:47 »
Yeah, some of the spawns on this map are a bit odd.  Its probably to do with all the dummy flags and such.  And I can confirm the sniper thingy.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-04-2009, 18:04:47 »
Also I have huge lag at the first flags. I think it has something to do with the smoke.

Offline Knoffhoff

• Vorstopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-04-2009, 01:04:42 »
3 or 4 days ago i played the map on hslan and picked the sniperkit in the british mainbase up.

This is already fixed, I assigned the object to the wrong flag.

Quote from: Eat Uranium
Yeah, some of the spawns on this map are a bit odd.

Which other spawns would be that?

Quote from: Ts4EVER
Also I have huge lag at the first flags. I think it has something to do with the smoke.

This has not necessarily to do with the smoke but with the massive ammount of statics placed around the first flags. Even though it doesn't look like , this map is one of, if not the map with the highest numbers of static and spawnable objects.

So, what do you think about the map? Is it balanced now? Isn't it to easy for the Germans to win?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-04-2009, 01:04:05 »
ATM the Germans win the map more often than not. It might help to give them faster bleed or something.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-04-2009, 02:04:11 »
I tend to say the same.
The time FH2 came out, the Afrikakorps tended too loose very often, I rarely saw them capping any flag on the northern hills. No I rarely see them not capping one or two flags and yesterday (I think) we capped all flags and won the map per K.O., so to say.
Maybe don't give them more bleed but make the Grants spawn more early, as soon as they cap one of the two middle flags?

[11PzG]matyast

« Reply #7 on: 16-04-2009, 08:04:47 »
I think currently the map is seriously hampered by the lack of a start-delay on most servers. Meaning, the axis get to the flags by the time the allies get to their guns. Last round, I ran to the 6 pounder, only to find I was already under a hale of fire from 3 tanks, killing me and the gun instantly. This is why the axis win all the time.

Offline corsair89

• Cannon fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-04-2009, 19:04:19 »
After many rounds on Alam Halfa these days, here are my reflexions about the map :

The first line of flags always falls after some time, it mostly depends on the teams I think.

Then come the two flags : Samakel Gabala and Deir el...something (whatever...the west flag). While the west flag can be held for some times or fall quickly (it depends), Samakel tends to be a rapefest for the Panzers everytime they attack. This flag has two 25 pounders but I've never seen someone using them against the Panzer (nor for shelling the first line of flags after they fell). The rest of the guns are some 2 pounders,2 crusaders (so basically, two more 2 pounders) and a bofors. Since the German get a bunch of Panzer III and IV and come with 3 or 4 tanks at once, the British team can't do anything to stop them. You need 3, 4 or 5 shots to destroy one Panzer while they can kill you with ease. Then, when they reach the flag and if they are smart enough to avoid AT grenades, you're good for a spawnkilling fest.

On the other hand, the west flag has 6 pounders and, while they can be destroyed just like the 2 pounders, they can help to stop the Panzers if the British team is good enough to repair them quickly. That's why I think these two flags are a bit unbalanced.

Plus, once Samakel is in German hands, it's very difficult to counter-attack, as German have their Panzer (those that attacked), two or three that spawn at the flag itself and...a PaK 38 (I don't remember having ever seen a mobile gun while the flag is still British...) This often tends to a general siege of the British armour flag (the most eastern of the three last flags).

One more thing to think about, the 25 pounders are a bit useless as they are now (my personnal thought). The Germans have a bunch of Panzers, trucks, Kubel, etc... and don't stay long enough at flags to be shelled by arty. And once Samakel is in their hand, they can easily repair and use these 25 against our last defensive line. So maybe they should be removed or placed at the British main, I don't really know how to improve this...

That's how I felt these last rounds on this map. Hope it helps.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19-04-2009, 22:04:29 »
The 25 Pounders can be used against incoming Panzers, I have done so myself and have seen others doing it. I agree though, on the difficulty of the British getting back Samak el Gabala. Would making the 25 Pounders irrepairable for the axis once they took the flag solve this? Or would it make it too unbalanced?

The other flag is called Deir el Muhafid btw ;)

Offline corsair89

• Cannon fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22-05-2009, 19:05:44 »
Your idea can prevent the shelling of the last British flags, forcing the German to use mortar kits and expose themselves. And of course the 25 pounders are deadly friends for Panzer, but they can't be used in direct fire mode like other field guns. You have to estimate how far the shell is going to land with this or that elevation and you can't see the target anymore when you raise the gun, making it really hard to hit (especially when your target is at fog distance and nobody spots it) even if the Panzer doesn't move...

It's possible to score a kill I know, I've made it this afternoon, but it's not that simple. Maybe replacing one of the two by a 6 pounders could improve this.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #11 on: 23-05-2009, 08:05:12 »
Use the massive amount of statics as cover and then ambush every tank with your Boys/AT grenades. Best tactic on this map.

But yes, Germans need less tickets or more bleed.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-05-2009, 14:05:06 »
One thing that's funny - I don't say necessarily wrong - is that once the first two flags are taken by Germans, the Bofors at Gabala starts firing blindly into the fog, right into German spawn area. (There's the low ridge between Deir and the two forward flags, which prevents that doing the same thing.) Of course, the northern Bofors now in German hands can retaliate in kind. It takes a bit of guessing and a few clips of ammo, but once you get the first kill message, you just leave the sights where they are and keep blasting, since the odds are that more enemies spawn there in the fog (works equally well for both sides).

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01-06-2009, 03:06:27 »
This map is my favourite among all the maps.

Talking about balance i think generally it's OK but something can be change to make it better.

Current tactics on that map:

1. Allies

a. obviously the first 2 flags are best to defend for as long as possible, they are the only flags where tank entrance is highly limited to a few narrow passages. It makes it an ideal place to lay mines on those paths if you spawn fast enough, a squad of miners would seal off an entire passage denying any armour entrance without infantry support.

b. AT guns aren't to be relied, they do a great deal of damage but easily countered by either tank snipers/arty/mortar. I do remember AT guns works against newbs as we all first play FH2 the first time.

c. the allied tanks are all jokes, those crusaders are aimed to shoot infantry rather than tanks. Grants fall quickly under a IIIJ (L) , mostly can't even survive more than 1 shot. and they are mostly front to front engagements where grant's mostly can't 1 shot a panzer.

d. once the first two flag falls, things won't go very well in the 3rd and 4th flag, the 6 pounders are gonna stop any rush attempts, but the LeFH and mortars easily take care of them, not to say 2 PaK38s which can be deployed as field guns for fire support. The flag with 2 pounders and 25 pounders can't be defended at all, 2 pounders are useless against panzer III and they are placed in place where they can't fire at longer range, it's more easy to hit a panzer than an AT gun at long range.

e. basically you will try to defend the 3rd and 4th flags as long as possible, as long as you don't lose more tickets than the Germans do. If they already have higher tickets than you, you are doing something wrong and you mostly will lose. Always abandon a place when you are being hopeless and raped.

As long as you got more tickets you have the tactical choice, or else you are forced to "counterattack" and all died.

f. It's not a stupid choice to fall back to the last 3 flags when you have ticket advantage, since you by then got a few more powerful tanks and you enemy are forced to attack your positions full of AT guns, mines, in order to win for them. You should be able to inflict good casualties before they get close, and have good ticket advantage to win.

2. Axis

a. you have enormous ticket advantage, your aim isn't to break the bleed ASAP, another way to win the map could be raping your enemies and let them fall to ticket 0, i have seen German victories even the Germans only take 1 flag.

b. AT guns are gonna stall your offensive for a while, remember to keep 1-2 tanks to defend against "counterattacks", they are helpless if you place just 1 panzer to watch the flag.

c. Stukas and arty are your good friend, once the AT guns fall you could get close... and they have nothing to stop you other than those crusader I and honeys which sucked, play safe.

d. i could say you really suck or the brits are really good (i have seen legendary AT gunners...e.g. Brit_Officer) when you lose this map.

What needs to be "changed".

i. obviously the allies would definitely lose if they have lower tickets than axis as they have no chance to fight back, grants and valentines are better but too slow compare to panzers. That means a war of attrition always end up with German victory. It's not a bad idea to give allies a bit(like 1-2) more tanks for a possibility of counterattack when Germans toke the first 2 flags(i doubt if you could beat just one panzer III with crusaders and honey). Of course the tank balance is fine when Germans toke 4 flags.

ii. a pick up mortar at the flag with 6 pounders would be nice for counterattack purpose.

iii. make the AT guns face the assault directions better in the 2 pounder and 25 pounder flag.

iv. a bit less German tickets, not too drastic.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-06-2009, 05:06:11 »
First i wanna say that i play this map on public servers only, where i assume its alot more chaotic playing with less skilled people and more smacktards. I assume its alot more interesting if played more seriously.
    But at the public server, at least, i dislike this map. To be german is quite allright. But its so dull to be allied. Either waiting and waiting, and when finally something happen im constantly getting pinned down by machinegun fire from 3-5 incoming tanks, getting killed all the time. And if trying to get into some cannon a stuka come and bomb it to pieces immediately. Though when im german it so often seems that the allied have complete control and i dont even get near before my tank is blown to pieces by a cannon.
    All this reasonably enough only indicates that i suck in this map :'(  I guess many of you really would hate me for this opinion, but i would prefer this map got more infantry friendly, like less tanks on the german team (or both) or no stuka, or if possible deeper "valleys" between the sandbanks or any other obstacles making it easier to approach enemy positions unnoticed, both for capping and recapping flags.
    I fully understand you guys trying to balance the maps, maybe my idea would screw that up completely.
Aswell its nice with some variated maps, not only a bunch of Battle of Sfakia - like maps  :)
    But asking for feedback , this is my feedback to this map  :)