Author Topic: The Great Football thread  (Read 112090 times)

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Football thread
« Reply #1875 on: 02-05-2016, 23:05:54 »
So Leicester's won it.  Is this the most colossal upset in sports history?

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: 02-05-2016, 23:05:10 »
I would say so. The odds of them winning at the beginning were identical to the odds on Elvis Presley being found alive this year: 5,000-1 against.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: 03-05-2016, 00:05:01 »
Incredible.

I kinda like Tottenham in the EPL, sucks that they have to lose it against Leicester...

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: 03-05-2016, 11:05:49 »
Back in 2001, I was hating to see the upstart Chievo succeeded in toppling the Serie A frequenters, especially AC Milan. The same way I was favouring Schumacher over Hakkinen.

But in 2016, I am elated to see the Foxes made it. Probably I have successfully grown up to symphatise with the underdogs.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: 04-05-2016, 00:05:28 »
Today's match between Bayern Munchen and Atletico de Madrid is one of these matches you have to watch if you're not a football fan, it was just incredible.

Football is more than a game...

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: 22-05-2016, 04:05:03 »
Today was the last match of Diego Milito for Racing in our home stadium. While it's not technically his last game in his professional career (he has one more game to go for the local cup, Copa Argentina), we can still consider it his last one.

And I was there to say goodbye, he scored a penalty goal and missed a second one, because even legends  can still have one of these days..., the whole stadium was full, everyone in it for El Principe. When he left the pitch, it was hard to contain these tears, a true legend was just walking away.

Underrated, he was barely used in the National Team, which is why I barely see Argentina's matches (I just watch them if Messi is playing), along with another pretty damn good striker, Lisandro López, who also returned to Racing.

A leader, what a player.

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: 09-06-2016, 07:06:42 »
Anyone watching Copa America? Torenico?

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: 11-06-2016, 00:06:37 »
Yeah, but just the Argentinian match(es) so far.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: 12-06-2016, 09:06:57 »
Great win against Panama, what a show! Best luck for the Argentinians. I think Messi deserve to shine in his national team.

Now, to Euro 2016. The English team is as always, jinxed themselves to disappointing result. But then, you have to admit that Russia showed quite a strong performance. Akinfeev could be the hero, his saves are decisive. The same goes to Joe Hart, but Chris Smalling weakness in aerial attack was very clear last night.

Slovakia, Albania, these minnows really showed their worth against the stronger team, I actually liked them, especially Albania still showing strong resistance with just 10 players. Good thing the keepers on all sides performed very well. Wales and Switzerland was lucky.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1884 on: 12-06-2016, 14:06:53 »
Euro's so far...

France, GG WP.
Romania, great leader Vlad Chiriches will fix this
Switzerland, lucky lol but gg wp
Albania, pls no aim wth
Wales, first win ever wp gz
Slovakia, y u no defend
England, y Roy do u do tis, bad sub
Russia, great draw for motherland

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: 12-06-2016, 16:06:52 »
Great win against Panama, what a show! Best luck for the Argentinians. I think Messi deserve to shine in his national team.

Yeah, but just him alone. The other players, playing against a weak team that is Panama, couldn't really break their defense until Messi came in, we depend so much on him. Other than that, this should be it, we have to win this Cup...

As for the Euro, I hope for a good Italian performance..., but I don't think so.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: 12-06-2016, 17:06:03 »
I am rooting for the Blue, the Azurri as always. But historical patterns say, of consistently good-bad-good-bad performance, that the Italians should do relatively well. Euro 2004 - group stage, WC 2006 - Champion, Euro 2008 - Quarter Final, WC 2010 - group stage, Euro 2012 - Final, WC 2014 - group stage.

I am starting to develop some love for England, but their reliance on domestic player's popularity is frustrating. It is good that they seemed to have designated The Spurs as English' Barcelona FC (many players are familiar with each other, from Kane, Alli, to Dier). But unlike the Barça, The Spurs is a minnow amongst European Champions League clubs. They really need to measure up their domestic competition.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: 12-06-2016, 18:06:01 »

Now, to Euro 2016. The English team is as always, jinxed themselves to disappointing result. But then, you have to admit that Russia showed quite a strong performance. Akinfeev could be the hero, his saves are decisive. The same goes to Joe Hart, but Chris Smalling weakness in aerial attack was very clear last night.

Masters of the 1-1 loss.  Out of curiosity, why do you support the Italians?  I can't expect much out of them this year.  Where will there goals come from? After De Rossi the next highest scorer is Chielleni with only 6. 

My main worry is that of an early Euro Brexit, I'd hate to see England, Norn Iron and Wales all go crashing out early.  Ireland too, for that matter. 

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: 12-06-2016, 20:06:54 »
Dunno, childhood memories perhaps? Back then, everybody seemed to be rooting for either Juventus or AC Milan. Del Piero was very popular, he even did an interview for a children magazine here. The Serie A was broadcasted by the most experienced private TV company in Indonesia. A lot of tie-ins as well, such as Liga Italia magazine and Panini sticker album. I was instant Tifosi, a long with my brother.

We even learned a lot of Italian football terms from RAI cable, how to count from 1 to 22, and how to curse. It all ended after the Calciopoli and winning the World Cup at the same time. Nobody broadcasted Serie for the next 2 years here.

As of current squad, I expect completely nothing, even from Daniele De Rossi, Motta, Chielini, Candreva, and friends. I believe they are still a safer bet than the English team.

Both England and Italy loved to call exclusively domestic club players. But none has been as annoyingly anti-outsiders as England, and it kind of failing them.

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: 12-06-2016, 23:06:11 »

Both England and Italy loved to call exclusively domestic club players. But none has been as annoyingly anti-outsiders as England, and it kind of failing them.

I think there's a bit of a cause-and-effect mix up here.  There really aren't that many English players in outside leagues to even call up.  For the most part, they're either youth team members or aging stars gone to the MLS, and honestly, who can blame them?  Why go to foreign leagues when you get fat checks playing in the Championship League?