Author Topic: The evolution of Internet Acronyms and slang.  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
Re: The evolution of Internet Acronyms and slang.
« Reply #15 on: 01-04-2009, 03:04:07 »
I always read it as "in example," but IIRC it is something latin...

*googles*

"i.e. = id est = latin for that is"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_(F-L)#I

EDIT: damn you Zrix

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01-04-2009, 03:04:49 »
You guys should really start reading the posts in the thread.

Well, it is nice to know that I have been using i.e. incorrectly.

And what do you mean read the posts in the thread?  I did read them all...how else would I have known what SirApple said?  :P

EDIT - Oh, your post of Urban Dictionary.  Sorry!  I didn't look for myself because I thought Urban Dictionary was for random "pop-culture" and other such terminology.   ;)

« Last Edit: 01-04-2009, 03:04:53 by Wilhelm »

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01-04-2009, 04:04:54 »

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01-04-2009, 05:04:05 »
I don't deny that Internet language is changing how we speak, not to mention our generation is changing how we speak. I always laugh to hear an english teacher try to stop us from saying "like" in every sentence, but growing up speaking that way has just made it part of our common tongue, and trying to force us to cease usage of it is like climbing the Empire State Buidling with suction cups. Its just not going to happen.

While I don't know if Internet Language will find its way into common verbal speak, I do say that Online writing will invade our written compositions. I won't be surprised if the silly words and short dialogues end up in some future language report, or essay.

Being from the North East United States, primarily western Massachusetts, which is also known for the Salem witch trials, I grew up saying such wonderful phrases as "Wicked awesome" and "that item is wicked!" "shes wicked hot!", speaking in likes, "like, seriously dude I went to his house..." and rolling my R's slightly as all good Mass-holes should, unless your from the border. Its also interesting to think, that of all places on earth, us folks here in Mass speak more like Shakespeare than any other English sect in the world.

Here's to ever changing conversation!

Offline GooGeL

• FH-Betatester
  • Shedmaster
    • View Profile
    • WOLFgaming.net
« Reply #19 on: 01-04-2009, 05:04:22 »
Pfft, I get to practice my english, swenglish and swedish over the net. I don't really like using acronyms but sometimes do  :-X
If you want to be taken serious you shouldn't try convert every word to 1-3 letters though... like some extremist do on Youtube for example. :P

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01-04-2009, 06:04:47 »
I'm beginning to hear a disturbing amount of people say "Lol" outloud (no pun intended) these days... either saying L-O-L or literally saying "lol" like its a word.

That almost drives me to the point of beating a baby seal with a spiked spatula.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Cadyshack

• Nanananananananana
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01-04-2009, 07:04:10 »
Being from the North East United States, primarily western Massachusetts, which is also known for the Salem witch trials, I grew up saying such wonderful phrases as "Wicked awesome" and "that item is wicked!" "shes wicked hot!", speaking in likes, "like, seriously dude I went to his house..." and rolling my R's slightly as all good Mass-holes should, unless your from the border. Its also interesting to think, that of all places on earth, us folks here in Mass speak more like Shakespeare than any other English sect in the world.

Woooohooo for MA! I'm Central.

The Bostonians are the worst, though. The have somehow found a way to get rid of the r in the middle of a word.
"Paahk tha caah at the Haahvad Yaahd!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdP679fk9w

Offline Zero

• Developer
  • ALL AMERICAN ZERO
    • View Profile
    • Hi-Fi Classic Music
« Reply #22 on: 01-04-2009, 10:04:54 »
i dislike people "LOLing IRL" too. but it's nothing new. AWOL, ASAP, FUBAR, and so on. or if you grew where i did saying "kay see moe/kay see kay" was very normal.
there too many of these things to ever know/remember them all. so i wouldn't worry about it. the only ones i really can't stand are numbers or single letters. like "R U 4 this 2!?"
but a few i remember that seem to have lost popularity are:
  • lamer/llama - noob and smacktard seem to be the more current.
  • BBQ, BBS  - be back soon, be back quick.  BBL and BRB won, probably because they aren't confused with barbecues and bulletin board systems.
  • roxor  ....is dead but haxor lives on?
  • WTH - WTF seems to have eaten him and absorbed his power...

another older one i like but never seemed to catch on hugely was RTFM - read the f'ing manual
i've been using AFK since the hl/cs/tfc days. but there was dead period of people not knowing what it meant(and me explaining it everytime i used it) but seems to be back now at least in these circles.

IRL -in real life, IDK - i don't know

i personally don't think internet slag will have a huge footprint, at least here. most of the popular ones are just shorthand for things people already say in real life. in other languages it will probably have a bigger impact, imo.

since we're getting into regional dialects... growing up in the west missouri boonies there were a lot of regionalisms(much less so in the city). most of the nonstandard ones seemed to be the "hill speak" (ozark).  it's kinda weird growing up there. most people have the generic midwest accent. but some people born and raised there randomly developed ozark, southern, or northern accents. here a few i remember.

• d'rectly -> immediately, soon  "i'll be there directly"
  • plum' -> plain, just "that dude with the bomb strapped to his chest is plumb f'ed!"
  • gander -> look
  • crawdad -> cray fish
  • locus' -> cicada
  • sum'b**ch -> son of a....
  • deer -> deer, or a tractor
  • tractor -> a tractor, or a lawn mower
  • pop -> soda (pop) "wanna coke?" "naw, i don't drink pop." people from even further south say "coke" for everthing which adds to the confusion. ( btw this gives one endless ridicule here on the west coast....)
  • you all(y'all) -> personally i think "you all" was more common
  • mighty -> very  not really used nowadays but sometimes you'd hear it
  • hanker -> want   sacastically="you hankerin' for an ass kickin'?"
  • reckon -> guess, "bet" like "sure, i bet.." - > "shore, ah reckon."
  • yonder -> "far over there" here(close), there(away), yonder(far)   "way over yonder"
  • dude -> "city slicker" (not surfer talk originally...) (see "dude ranch")
  • overuse of "the" -> "he went to wally-world" "he went to the wally-world" "i love the video games!"
  • -n -> eg theirn, yourn, ourn, etc (not that common nowadays, hardcore ozark. but i'd hear it here and there when i was down there)
  • "them" is used instesd of "they/those" sometimes
  • i've noticed people out here say things like "highway 15" but back there it was always "75 highway"
  • no one in "misery" calls the state "mizzou(la)." new englanders do. sometimes "missoura" though
  • we're more likely to say "muddy moe" than "mighty moe"
  • and never... never... NEVER call something that is grilled, "BBQ!"
i use some(not all though) of these myself from time to time in the real world. though, i have the world famous "omaha accent." which you think is "no accent." but after moving out of the area southerners think i have a mild northern accent and northerners think i have a mild southern accent. and sccording to the germans on TS my american accent is really thick(which was news to me).

i've also heard more than once that regionalisms and accents are actually getting stronger, not weaker. people are peobably a bit more self aware these days of such things.
« Last Edit: 01-04-2009, 10:04:19 by Zero »

Offline Rata Marsupial

• ¡BIBA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01-04-2009, 10:04:52 »
Take in care that not everyone is english-speaker.
We commit lots of fails.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01-04-2009, 12:04:58 »

Woooohooo for MA! I'm Central.

The Bostonians are the worst, though. The have somehow found a way to get rid of the r in the middle of a word.
"Paahk tha caah at the Haahvad Yaahd!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdP679fk9w

hahahaha, yea, Bostonians crack me up. Here in Western mass we seem to like to pronounce our R's loudly, almost Redneck like.

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02-04-2009, 01:04:29 »

I live in northern Rhode Island and a lot of people here (including me) used to say 'wicked' all the time when I was growing up.  I haven't heard it used much anymore, though.  ;D