Author Topic: Forgotten Hope 2: Interview with toddel  (Read 6256 times)

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
Forgotten Hope 2: Interview with toddel
« on: 25-12-2009, 01:12:50 »
Hi Ladys & Gentlemens,

Good news today for the community. The big battlefield-newssite BF-Games has today FH in a interview.
Only in german, but im sure you know how to use the google-translator, we get a lot of interesting answers from toddel about the work, the team and the upcoming Version 2.25 of FH2.

http://www.bf-games.net/readnews/9401/forgotten_hope_2_toddel_im_interview.html

Please follow this Link and feel free to discuss here

;D ;D

greetz

kett

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope 2: Interview with toddel
« Reply #1 on: 25-12-2009, 01:12:35 »
 :o

He said they are testing a release candidat right now.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-12-2009, 01:12:14 »
:o

He said they are testing a release candidat right now.
Sounds awesome

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-12-2009, 01:12:08 »
Oh and he also said they were doing Ardennes as a parallel developement and that there were several "surprising" side projects by other devs.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25-12-2009, 01:12:42 »
German people.  Translate.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25-12-2009, 01:12:10 »
Oh and he also said they were doing Ardennes as a parallel developement and that there were several "surprising" side projects by other devs.
yeah, I read that as well. Wish I could completely read German. to more years and I shall be fluent hopefully
German people.  Translate.
Use google translator

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-12-2009, 02:12:00 »
Thank you Toddel, just using google translate one can get the gist and everything sounds awesome! I really hope that it really mean (release candidate) so that mean release might be soon. Thanks again for the excellent interview

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #7 on: 25-12-2009, 02:12:13 »
Twas a nice read (I used the babel fish translator).  Took me a while to work out who 'fried sausage' was ;D.

Even I learned some stuff there.

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25-12-2009, 02:12:57 »
I put this into Google translator, which usually offers up some lol-worthy results, but at least it gives us the jist of the interview's meaning.

The first Weihnachtsfeieretag begins with the promised interview with Forgotten Hope 2 (FH2). The BF-Games staff had just before Christmas, FH Dev
Toddels
in conversation, and it was finally the long-planned interview true. It had accumulated a few questions about FH2, in general but also about the upcoming version 2.25 and the situation of the mods. And we got some interesting answers, but read yourself

BF-Games: Hello
Toddels
, That you would like to thank you for taking the time to chat with BF games a little. Since the publication of the Normandy scenario are indeed a few months passed. How satisfied are you looking back with the release of FH 2.2?

Toddels: Very satisfied. We have seen great players after the release numbers, and so it looks like some are still with us. The average number of players has doubled, and the new maps are well received. We hope that we can now bind with each new release more players to us.

BF-Games: Unlike Modern Warfare Mods, have you completely new Statics, the individual must create up to sandbag houses. How big is the list of building models for FH?

Toddels: If you ask our mapper, there are not enough. I would say there are about 1700 Statics. A few of our beta testers have made the effort, and to list the Statics in a wiki. Mapper, or for those who want to be is a great reference book. Again, many thanks to the guys here are that this incredible task. The fans really need to be .....

BF-Games: The map Totalize is indeed a highly modified card from the booster pack Armored Fury. Was that a one-time team-work and there were discussions about it?

Toddels: The development of our cards is very time consuming, but we were absolutely still, a map with airplanes have in 2.2. Since Fenring looked around for a suitable heightmap and is on Operation Harvest found it. The map had everything you need for a big, epic tank battle. So we had only the soil texture of Forgotten Hope 2 and adjust set our Statics. This map is actually a great example of how quickly one can tinker a map if everyone works together.

BF-Games: Has the team long-fought for the release or Normandy, there were other options than scenario?

Toddels: No we have not been disputed, we wanted to bring the Americans, a new nation into the game. What could be more than the invasion of Normandy? Italy as an alternative front for the Africa campaign, Americans were far too similar. We wanted grass and bushes! Since the decision was very easy. Leaving aside the fact that we could create with the creation of models for the Normandie a broad foundation for more cool maps

BF-Games: FH was indeed developed since BF1942. How big is your team now and how many developer since the Beginning?

Toddels: You can not even identify the size with an exact figure. They always fluctuates around the region of 15-25 Devs. Many of our modeler make it really a hobby. You modeln last detail and texture to himself. Since it's possible that you need a model even by 12 months or more. These people are naturally Devs do not always cooperate. But we have a good old game, despite the influx of Devs. Many are professional Spieleendwickler or work in industry and in creating 3D models. Fortunately, we have earned with our animator Killi Vanilli, which he rumwerkelt not just at FH2 his money with animation for Ice Age 3 or the like. I feel sometimes as little as a self-taught dance in the series. We take too much time to help beginners. Most of it with our help to create the very fast connection. Thus, the number remains constant.
Of the FH 1 DEVS are not many there. There are, of course, Lobo, is the time gejoint as the fifth man FH. Zero is still there. The surprises again and again with incredible models and new techniques. There is also the wheel of his evil has survived cancer and now we more moral support. But the wars are not over after. Many of the old FH1 Fanmapper or Fanmodeler as Otolikos (Ramelle Neuville, In The Hell Of Bocage), Mr Cheese (Createan Village and FH1 Texturepack) knoffhoff (Totdenbruch and Spurning Fate), bratwurst (FH1 sound pack) and myself are the Devs.

BF-Games: What about the motivation of the team? Battlefield 2 is already 4 1 / 2 years old, and the numbers of players in the field modifications are stable but low.

Toddels I add time back to the question: How many do you need 64 servers to have fun? Our motivation is undiminished. We work as ever. The motivation is surprisingly high. We have big plans with Forgotten Hope. You have to imagine how a model railroad. As an annual potters before him, and builds the craziest things, and it shows no one! This is similar to us. Only we do not sit in the basement. Surely we would be pleased if in the end, many people have their fun with it, but FH would indeed be more of a niche product.

BF-Games: In the spring of 2010 two Battlefield titles come with the new Frostbite engine on the PC. How do you see as the possibilities of the new engine modders, provided there is to an editor? Would a possible move to a different engine for Forgotten Hope?

Toddels: I see black. I think this will be the end of the mods for the Battlefield series. Even if so by DICE, which are huge fans of the mods do not want it, we expect no Modsupport. This is because the use of Frostbyte engine developer tools that includes the Xbox and PS3 stuff. But these are Lizenzabhängig. One would therefore have the PC modding community for a new editor and this is also tinkering for a big company like DICE no cheap affair. But even if there could be for BF3, BF43 or BFBC2 an editor, then we would have to take the engine very carefully under the microscope. But the re-export all our Statics would indeed take forever .... min ~ 1700 times. 25 minutes ......

BF-Games: The team indeed working on a fix for the Normandie. What can you tell us about the content?

Toddels: In this update we are in almost all areas something new to add or update. Be it new tanks and vehicles, new aircraft, weapons, and of course, maps! That being said, there are always minor changes to the code. We are permanently FH strive to further improve and make it a balanced mod. We note in particular the feedback from testers and players as well as we think of the new features are added.

BF-Games: The most important thing for the players, is probably the release date of 2.25. Can you tell the community something about it?

Toddels: is done when it is done!
Nah seriously. The update is coming VERY soon. You could say the missile is already standing on the launch pad, waiting only for the very last checkup, and then there's clearance for takeoff. The fans do not need to wait much longer. A precise date can, and I'd rather not mention, however. There are always unforeseen things that still can move a release. The testers at least work under pressure to test the so-called Release Candidate on the heart and kidneys. At this point I would also like to thank them. We would try anything without our tester, who constantly give us feedback and make it all possible that we can bring greater speed and efficiency testing behind us.

BF-Games: What happens next? As the FH team has planned for the coming year?

Toddels: Furthermore, we will be working on the Western Front. That should be no secret. This activity is here, but big. So we are still determined to create Normandy maps and add content to them. Furthermore, it is conceivable that we are moving in parallel in the Ardennes. A mod is and of course, depends on the motivation of the "free" developers. We can not promise but we will implement what is possible. Some developers are also working, so to speak on their own, interesting side projects for FH. Perhaps arising therefrom the one or two surprises. But it is even difficult for us to predict and therefore it is better announced silence.

BF-Games: We thank you for the interview and wish the team a Happy Christmas FH. Is there anything that you want to say to the players?

Toddels: We thank all the players and supporters, as well as the server host, news pages, and all others who keep us on for years and appreciate the loyalty of our work and will not offer it.
The FH team wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-12-2009, 02:12:42 »
lol "wheel" is of course Rad and "card" is "map"

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25-12-2009, 02:12:15 »
LOL yea and this bit made me laugh:

"The testers at least work under pressure to test the so-called Release Candidate on the heart and kidneys."

But overall German translates well (literally) into English, so it's pretty easy to understand.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-12-2009, 02:12:30 »
Yeah that is a German phrase meaing "to test something thouroughly"

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25-12-2009, 02:12:28 »

Haha, I was just about to clarify those same points!  ;D

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #13 on: 25-12-2009, 02:12:39 »
"The testers at least work under pressure to test the so-called Release Candidate on the heart and kidneys."
I find that better results are gained if you run the mod using BF2 rather than your personal offal.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-12-2009, 03:12:12 »
I wonder if they count Operation Market Garden as a Normandy theater of war or they do not(?) Because it is just between Normandy and Ardenness, yet nobody mentions it as a next theater and according to interviews etc. one would say that there is going to be no OMG at all (and that would make me cry a lot, like... you have never seen a man crying like that).