Author Topic: AI minimod 1.3 beta 3 + Map AI minimod 1.0b  (Read 11994 times)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
Re: AI minimod 1.3 beta 3 + Map AI minimod 1.0b
« Reply #60 on: 06-08-2010, 10:08:07 »
...On some maps the mortars never seem to stop falling from the sky...
That'll liven things up a bit...and I can't wait to see it... 8)

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 06-08-2010, 11:08:43 »
Wooaah! What a good news!  :D
Can't wait to have arty rain hell on my foes.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 07-08-2010, 07:08:39 »
Is the AI as deadly in 2.3? (as that of in Drawde's mod)

It is only in Drawde's mod I can't wtfpwn all bots... for the very first time the bots flank me and shot me. It makes killing bots more a challenge. (and sometimes a noob human is worse than a bot)

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 07-08-2010, 19:08:02 »
Is the AI as deadly in 2.3? (as that of in Drawde's mod)

honestly, I'd probably say they are deadlier.  ;)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 08-08-2010, 12:08:18 »
I sure hope bots like using static mgs and especially deployables. staying on those indefinately is a must or they'll throw player's deployables away. Also wish they get custom deployable mortars that also have the raised perspective. They are once again useless without it.

Remick, did you include Drawde's work distinguishing classes of tanks and bot tankers using special shell types against heavy tanks? Otherwise the matilda and valentine tanks would be unstoppable.

I will include a list of navmesh issues and commander issues later, when I'm at a pc and not a fon.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 08-08-2010, 15:08:16 »
I sure hope bots like using static mgs and especially deployables. staying on those indefinately is a must or they'll throw player's deployables away. Also wish they get custom deployable mortars that also have the raised perspective. They are once again useless without it.

Remick, did you include Drawde's work distinguishing classes of tanks and bot tankers using special shell types against heavy tanks? Otherwise the matilda and valentine tanks would be unstoppable.

I will include a list of navmesh issues and commander issues later, when I'm at a pc and not a fon.

I have seen dead valentines as those are possible to be front shot (top) . But I have never seen a dead matilda.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 08-08-2010, 22:08:05 »

Yes, though not all the weapons.ai files have the currect values, so I've been working on fixing that.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 15-08-2010, 19:08:51 »
I did however figure out what was preventing bots from firing Arty on infantry at max range. I'll let Drawde know what I did for future use in the minimod. It makes a world of difference. On some maps the mortars never seem to stop falling from the sky.

:o How did you do this? I could never get arty bots to focus on infantry, let alone fire at things beyond their visual range. Sounds like AI artillery in the next version will genuinely be something to fear, rather than just creating impressive explosion effects  ;D

You mention that you've included my new armour class for heavy tanks (using the NavalArmour class), have you also used the one for unarmoured vehicles and guns (the Helicopter class)? I found it made a big difference having bots be able to fire at jeeps etc. and at exposed gunners with small arms... the AI is sometimes better at taking out AT guns this way than with HE.
Also (I'm sure you know this) it's really important to update ALL the weapons.ai files to take the new classes into account, otherwise some bots will completely ignore vehicles which use them.

Are you going to include the feature where bots don't leave static weapons? (using the "FixedGun" AI class) I found the game worked much better when bots "camped" guns, especially since AA and artillery tend to be behind the frontlines. Otherwise they usually hop out and go off somewhere else leaving the guns unmanned when an enemy tank/plane finally turns up. (The only weapons I didn't give the FixedGun setting were deployables and the Bren AA)

Glad to hear that you're making such good progress with the AI. By the sounds of things, I won't need to make a new minimod once FH2.3 is out (definitely a good thing)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 15-08-2010, 19:08:44 »
Although I think the deployables SHOULD have the fix-gun code. Bots tend to bail, sometimes without firing a shot, which means the gun dissapears forever - The bot can remain on till killed or TKed by the player to reacquire the gun (Just note never to displace them or the game CTDs... Many of these bugs are not SP, but with the very weapon code themselves). I've been trying so hard to get bots to use the Browning .30cal. Seems some mgs like the mg34 and vikers are much prefered to the mg42, and most deployables, which sadly means, the most tactically placed guns don't get used

Also, Remick, have you included the custom raised perspective for deplyable mortars. They make such a big difference in maps like PHL, where bots get slaugtered by grenatewerfer and it balances alot when I can deploy our own mortars and have bots slug it out, if nothing at all, to get the enemy mortar pointing else where to allow our boys to cross the bridge. Really tactical, those deployables....

Sigh.. I stil play PHL just to try and savor every bit of Drawde's excellent work. If the game is magnanimous enough, you actually get a situation where, once the Yanks get too close to the 88 for it to hit them, the grenatewerfer begins to blast away.. And sometimes the nebelwerfer... Not to mention, the flank mgs.... Quite the thrill... Cole eint got sh** on me when I'm leadingh THAT advance :-)

I'm making a new thread directed specifically at the AI in 2.3...

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 15-08-2010, 22:08:39 »
Everything about your mod, Drawde, is intact. The armor classes (naval and helicopter) are in proper use, though a couple of weapons.ai files weren't set up for it so I fixed them. And the fixedguns behave the same. Bots enter them and remain on them until taken out or replaced by player.

I haven't done anything with the deployables. I kinda want to leave the deployable mortars the way they are for people playing co-op together online of in a LAN match so they have some arty that behaves the same as it does in multiplayer for practice. But I may look into it in the future. And there was an issue with the Browning .30cal AI that caused a crash on Ramelle. Gunnie fixed the issue, but I'm not sure how it affects bots use of the deployable .30cal, I'll try testing it.

I think I want to keep it a secret how exactly I got bots to fire at greater ranges until you guys have had a chance to try it for yourselves. But I should amend my previous statement. Arty doesn't necessarily fire at infantry at its 'max range' but it does fire at a far greater range. I can adjust it, but it has the side affect of causing everyone to engage infantry at greater ranges. So, it becomes a balancing issue of finding the sweet spot where bots are engaging at ranges that aren't unfair to the player, but realistic and doesn't render things like arty useless. I'm pretty happy with what I have set up now, but I can always adjust it in the future once you've had the chance to try it for yourselves.

And I do hope Drawde that you don't plan on disappearing after 2.3 if the AI is top notch. A lot of that is thanks to you and I could still use the help going forward ;D

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 15-08-2010, 22:08:43 »
Well, you know me, I'll probably have something to nag about, if Remick, Drawde, you're still up for the challenge :-)

ps. Maybe its paranoid insecurity, but why I do I suddenly feel like a kid with lice who no one wants to play with anymore? Did I pressure everyone too much? :-\
« Last Edit: 15-08-2010, 22:08:20 by djinn »

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 15-08-2010, 23:08:03 »
Well, I certain hope to get Singleplayer to a point where you don't have anything to nag about ;)

And I've always been someone who loses interest real fast unless I'm being challenged, So I give you a lot of credit for pushing me to be a better dev. I just don't want you to get your hopes too high because I'm no computer programmer. My background is in art, and I studied film production in college. So, all this videogame design stuff I'm kinda learning as I go. But I do value your attention to little details, and your appreciation for the fun of the game, and immersive experience. You're exactly the kind of audience I aiming to please.

That goes for the rest of you regular posters on here, too ;D

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 15-08-2010, 23:08:27 »
aaw, you shouldn't have

*Imagine bugs bunny in drag and in a flirtatious pose here*

Personally, I think being an artist is alot bigger an asset to the role than just being being a tech person. I sympathize with the learning curve, but balancing the cinematics, the gameplay the flow is more an art than a science really

And as hard is it may seem, I cant' think readily of many more additions to AI right now. If I nag, its usually because I'm either hit by some manic inspiration or more likely, I just don't want this new found momentum to die... But I risk burning everyone out also...

Might not show in my many comments, but I'm probably the most excited person about AI in 2.3... Warts n all :-)

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 16-08-2010, 08:08:55 »
As the Canadians ingame like to say....."Way to go Boys!"
Goodjob ppl!

Offline lemonwire

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 16-08-2010, 12:08:51 »
You guys are making me tremendously excited to see the next release! I can't wait to see all the improvements.