Author Topic: Anti Tank Mines  (Read 5804 times)

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: Anti Tank Mines
« Reply #30 on: 30-03-2012, 13:03:38 »
Never seen this done before in a mod so unsure if its an engine limitation or no.
So there would be more use for the mine detector too...
What is the use of mine detector? It only buzzes when you directly aim at mine with it and as mines are visible on ground, I simply scan the ground with my eyes. I even avoid mines very often while driving tank, just by keeping my eyes open.

The only use for mine detector, would be to check if there are mines under tank that is still on its spawn.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30-03-2012, 15:03:47 »

What is the use of mine detector? It only buzzes when you directly aim at mine with it and as mines are visible on ground, I simply scan the ground with my eyes. I even avoid mines very often while driving tank, just by keeping my eyes open.

The only use for mine detector, would be to check if there are mines under tank that is still on its spawn.

Yes we all know your hax... Other people unfortunately don't have such a good eye/ability to pay attention to mines and enemy tanks at the same time...

Well I don't say the mine detector is useful now, actually I think I only saw it used a few times on Supercharge in the initial push to check for mines on the hill approach, and that was when it was an organised squad...

But if someone actually bothered to lay (read COULD) lay a lot of mines it would be more useful.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30-03-2012, 16:03:31 »
Or if it could have like more silent buzz when there is mine in something like... 3 meter radius or something. So that player could just run around on road and quickly get aware of mines. Now someone could argue that finding mines and deactivetaing them was nerv cracking and slow job: True, but it would still take quite some time to first become aware of mines, find where they are exactly and wrench them away.

Oh and btw, eye scanning for mines doesn't always work, sometimes mines disappear under some road textures  ::)

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30-03-2012, 21:03:20 »
Never seen this done before in a mod so unsure if its an engine limitation or no.

It's an engine limitation, too many spawned mines would cause lag I think.

However I'm all for at least 5 minute "expire time". It actually would give you a chance to re-deploy your mines. And would encourage people to use them more... So there would be more use for the mine detector too...

Or the pick-up kit (like the one on Goodwood) can have the ability to place let's say 10 mines instead of 5.

Increasing the Mine placing limit isnt engine restricted, for example Project Reality allows for about 20-40 land mines to be place by a SINGLE player (only if that player stays alive long enough...)

So there would be more use for the mine detector too...

Just increase the Mine detectors detecting radius to probably 4-5 times the size of the mine detector as of right now. And maybe if you hold the mouse button down on the mine for a few seconds it automatically disarms it for you. Making the mine detector so much more useful than what it is right now.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30-03-2012, 22:03:59 »
I agree on making the detector more useful, with a wider radius.

More mines and/or a longer lifetime for mines will totally ruin a lot of maps. Right now I have to stay alive to keep my mini-minefield active, which is OK. If it doesn't matter whether I die a lot, or stay alive, I can spam mines everywhere and control a (large/important) part of the map. On Sidi Rezegh for example, you can mine off an antire flagzone by yourself if you place them carefully. So that means 1 guy can block the other team's advance. But, when you kill him, just wait a tad and there you go. Imagine the clusterf*ck when it doesn't matter whether you killed him or not...

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31-03-2012, 06:03:34 »
Just increase the Mine detectors detecting radius to probably 4-5 times the size of the mine detector as of right now. And maybe if you hold the mouse button down on the mine for a few seconds it automatically disarms it for you. Making the mine detector so much more useful than what it is right now.

Auto disarm mines...? Its a freaking metal detector, it just detects metal. It makes noise when its aimed at metal! Unless you want to add mines with laser trip wires to a WWII setting, then I'm afraid you're going to need a 21st century minesweeper that isn't even massproduced if you want to disarm modern mines by not physically touching them.

The number of mines placed down is only limited by the game engine (and present technology) by some 255 at a guess, and nobody is really going to need that many mines. What I was asking was that if the time for land mines to despawn was limited.

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31-03-2012, 19:03:28 »
Well what do you propose for landmine removal since you want them to last longer? Usually people smart enough place landmines either near enemy main bases, main routes that the enemy uses, or bottlenecks that your team is attempting to defend against. Players are almost always under fire when trying to find the little explosive tin cans unless its in an oblivious spot that nobody goes to. And when time is of the essence, i dont want to waste those 1 1/2 seconds just trying to pull out my wrench.

The engine is not restricted on such a small number of landmines. If PR can have each player place down about 20-40 landmines in a single round, i HIGHLY doubt that FH2 cant do the same. Well unless the devs did something to permanently block any modding access to the landmine lifetime and laying amount. Project Reality is on the same engine correct?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31-03-2012, 19:03:57 »
Of course they could up the limit. But they don't because there is no reason to do it.

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05-04-2012, 10:04:28 »
Ugh, lame. I guess we're going to be stuck with these midget tin can explosives for a very long while.

For Tactics at the moment...
Place mines at a bottleneck, enemy route, or infront of an enemy main base, hide in a bush then go AFK and eat something while you wait for a kill.

Offline Yepay

• Eating Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21-07-2012, 18:07:14 »
Place mine flags where mines are not, then say in chat "Guys theres no mines by my mine flags use mine flags for safe travel"

Then go spam the other roads with mines

Although you will always get the few derpy players who walk into the mines them rage hard
ANNOYING SIG LET IT ENTER YOUR MIND
YEEEEES, YEEEES, FEED MY SIGNATURE

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22-07-2012, 01:07:41 »
 I find the most benefit to mine defence happens within a co-ordinated squad defensive area.

Place the mines on a linear angle that allows friendly forces to manouevre around the defence but which still prevents enemy vehicle from making a direct assault.

Mark each mine with a flag and make sure you are out of harms' way. If an enemy force hits a mine, the flag still remains and can deter further advance by the opposition. This tactic works exceptionally well on  North African maps like Keren or Bardia.

Unfortunately on the Normandy maps, mines and minefields are an afterthought, even though there was something like 6 million of them laid by the german's as they retreated from their Western front defence lines.
My Quebec includes Canada