Author Topic: Anti Tank Mines  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
Re: Anti Tank Mines
« Reply #15 on: 28-03-2012, 00:03:27 »
I'm hoping some people might actually get together in a squad and mine El Alamein. That'd be awesome.

But, now that I think of it don't the mines disappear after you die? What are the conditions required for AT mines to disappear? If an entire 6 man squad of miners just hides to prevent mines from despawning after their death, thats cutting the actual usefulness of a squad and crippling a team.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28-03-2012, 03:03:51 »
can the enemy see those little mine flags too?

I didnt know that. That seems redundant

Why dont the Dev's have the AT mines show the "3D Map Skull Icon" just like the S-Mines do now?

???

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28-03-2012, 06:03:27 »
Its more realistic and interesting, I'd favor flags over skull markers.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28-03-2012, 09:03:42 »
 Why dont the Dev's have the AT mines show the "3D Map Skull Icon" just like the S-Mines do now? ???

Why is that redundant? You can use the flags to nicely lay a trap for enemy tankers. I love them! Just place the flags on the main road and mine the area besides the road, then enjoy the fireworks as a tank tries to drive around the flagged area.  ;D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28-03-2012, 18:03:52 »
But, now that I think of it don't the mines disappear after you die?
What are the conditions required for AT mines to disappear?
AT mines disappear a while after you are dead. So they stay for a short period of time. Sometimes you can see yourself make a minekill after you already respawned. Pro tip: if you pick up your previous kit, you don't have to replace the mines.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28-03-2012, 20:03:46 »
 Why dont the Dev's have the AT mines show the "3D Map Skull Icon" just like the S-Mines do now? ???

Why is that redundant? You can use the flags to nicely lay a trap for enemy tankers. I love them! Just place the flags on the main road and mine the area besides the road, then enjoy the fireworks as a tank tries to drive around the flagged area.  ;D

Good point.

8)

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29-03-2012, 01:03:48 »
So the mines won't disappear, so long as I remain an engineer on respawn? Thats awesome, got to plan a company of Sappers. Regarding mine flags, I think if there are enough the enemy will just go around when they see them, making the enemy go through another chokepoint. It could completely change the way the rest of the map plays out.

Thanks.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #22 on: 29-03-2012, 02:03:08 »
So the mines won't disappear, so long as I remain an engineer on respawn?
No, mines disappear shortly after the kit1 that layed them disappears.  If you die and you want your mines to stay, you have to run to the place you died and pick up the kit that you were using before.

1The actual kit that layed them, not just another kit of the same type.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29-03-2012, 18:03:31 »
So the mines won't disappear, so long as I remain an engineer on respawn?
No, I said "pick up" not "choose again from spawn" ;)

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-03-2012, 02:03:24 »
So the bottom line in landmine tactics it to rarely use them? I could understand that because most pubbers i've seen TK more friendlies than enemies. Reasons why? They're either too doopid to lay down flag markers in the general area of their minefield or the friendlies are just too doopid to actually figure out that the small flags mean "Landmines ahead.''

Pros:
Great for area prevention
Insta-kills all tanks if driven on

Cons:
5 mine limit
Mines disappear after 2 minutes, after the engineers death
Flags give off an obvious warning sign for the enemy ,if they arent blind
Be prepared to tk alot of friendlies if you wish to take up on a midget minefield on a popular route used by both teams

I don't see the reason why Landmines were added in the first place if they cant do their job with satisfactory results. Along with that mine detector, the most useless thing in the game next to the block of gold on the indiana jones kit.

I'm really hoping that the mine cap will be raised and the lifetime of the landmines would be over a measly 2 minutes to at least 10-15 minutes.

(Forum Go-er): But Cheesus! This will encourage more teamkilling since more mines would be placed! They'll go around placing random mines and eventually a friendly will hit it since engineers never place flags on mines at all!
(Cheesus): Have you ever seen a pub-player drive around an ammo truck hoping to make a minefield in a major route to the enemy or flag? I haven't because not one pubber is that committed and that persistent (since as many of us know, we die very fast in this game which resets the mines in 2 minutes).
(Forum Go-er): But once people start figuring it out they'll start griefing.
(Cheesus) Well, Just separate the engineer's mine laying ability and put it as a pick-up kit in a main base. Therefore the griefers and idiots wont have direct and easy access to the buffed up mines.
« Last Edit: 30-03-2012, 02:03:05 by Cheesus Krighst »

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-03-2012, 03:03:45 »
Played a match on Siege of Tobruk today, used mines heavily. 6+ enemy tank kills, 1 friendly tank kill! So, placing mines at the first line of defense on that map is generally a good place to mine since friendlies have no reason to go past there.

I do think that land mines should last for as long as the map plays though, its not exactly realistic for these to just disappear. Never seen this done before in a mod so unsure if its an engine limitation or no.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-03-2012, 09:03:58 »
Never seen this done before in a mod so unsure if its an engine limitation or no.

It's an engine limitation, too many spawned mines would cause lag I think.

However I'm all for at least 5 minute "expire time". It actually would give you a chance to re-deploy your mines. And would encourage people to use them more... So there would be more use for the mine detector too...

Or the pick-up kit (like the one on Goodwood) can have the ability to place let's say 10 mines instead of 5.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-03-2012, 10:03:48 »
The problem is where do you draw the line, a 5min life for mines does enable a single guy to totally block an entrance to an area. If we could prevent an engineer form laying mines till his first ones vanish, then perhaps it would be feasible.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30-03-2012, 11:03:03 »
The problem is where do you draw the line, a 5min life for mines does enable a single guy to totally block an entrance to an area. If we could prevent an engineer form laying mines till his first ones vanish, then perhaps it would be feasible.
Isn't there limit already? like with AP mines?
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30-03-2012, 12:03:10 »

So does a 2 min life... If he stays alive...  ::)
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...