Author Topic: It's that time of the year again... Zombie Apocalypse and related games/mods  (Read 414 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Let me start by saying I never really had an interest for zombie survival games but one little jewel caught my eye recently. Some of you might have heard of it... I think I played some rounds with Lightning (?) and we did quite good.

It's a free Source Modification called No More Room in Hell, that won ModDB's Editor's choice Multiplayer Mod of the year 2011, and got 3rd place as Player's choice Mod of the year 2011.

The story is simple, you and 7 other random (un)fortunate survivors must accomplish various objectives to escape the hordes of undeads alive (that doesn't mean that all of you will make it, unfortunately  :-\). Or you simply must hold out in your stronghold before the ever-multiplying waves of zombies (Survival mode).

Anyway it's a nice mod, when it isn't plagued by few bugs and laggy servers in later waves. But the problem is it can be hard to enjoy with random people that often include teamkillers, ammo wasters, and 12 year olds... So if you are open for a more realistic approach to L4D genre give it a try, you only need the Source SDK 2007 installed. And be sure to try it out with a few friends as public games often don't end up well...

Players' arsenal is quite expansive but ammo is often scarce, and usually if you aren't fast enough you're left with less attractive melee weapons, or less powerful guns. You can use anything ranging from your fists, to makeshift weapons such as the fire extinguisher, lead pipe, shovel to the seasoned Winchester lever action and Colt 1911. And of course the famous .357 Magnum.

Unique features include minimalistic HUD (even remaining ammo must be checked by voice-over), 3D VOIP, the inability of the fallen comrades to chat with you (but they can still talk), and the ability to call in supply drops by using a flare gun. Unfortunately the supply drops are somewhat random so don't be surprised if Uncle Sam sends you a bunch of barricade hammers, and crowbars.

http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/
« Last Edit: 25-09-2012, 12:09:07 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...