Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 180046 times)

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #570 on: 13-04-2010, 21:04:25 »
Im not sure, if it isnt, it will be very soon. I guess i think Aliens and Alien is both 10s, but if i have to choose i choose Alien. I guess i like the thriller-mood more than the action-mood, but both are killer awesome  :) The directors cut version have pretty much extra awesome stuff, you really should see it

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #571 on: 14-04-2010, 23:04:38 »
A friend came over and showed me The Hustler with Paul Newman, George C. Scott and Piper Laurie

What a movie!

Having seen Color of Money a few months back and got to know the old "Fast Eddie" it was a great movie experience to see the young version of him with the same actor

A great story with great actors. And George C. Scott as a small-time hood was a nice addition to Paul Newman's amazing performance.

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #572 on: 15-04-2010, 16:04:08 »
The Story of the Weeping Camel

Unusual film, but well worth watching if you ever catch it on tv. It's about a Mongolian family who have trouble with a Camel  :D It's more of a docu-film, daily family life etc, no special effects, funny in places, great ending  :'(  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpYXK-7szd8
« Last Edit: 15-04-2010, 16:04:42 by Capten_C »
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #573 on: 19-04-2010, 11:04:51 »
The King of Kong

Before I start screaming I'll just tell you folks who don't know what this documentary is about. It's about Steve Wiebe. And his story of becoming the worlds best player in Donkey Kong. And I'm not talking about Donkey Kong on the Super Nintendo or on the Nintendo 64.

I'm talking about the very first Donkey Kong.

The problem in the documentary is a man called Billy Mitchell, who have had the record for a very long time.

It's a good documentary. It's so nerdy but still so cute somehow. Nerds being nerdy in both good and bad ways.

Overall, interesting and good story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kong

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 19-04-2010, 21:04:46 »
I guess its allowed to review series aswell.

Generation Kill             6/10

One word describe this series pretty well: boring . Very little combat. Long unintresting dialogues. Whats good is that it reflect the war and the men who fight the war quite well, and the situation in general. But still, why not make the series about those who actually were in combat. I guess theyre trying to tell us a morale here, but i didnt really get it, nor do i care. I want some BoB-like action

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: 20-04-2010, 01:04:32 »
The thin red line
I don't get something... Thin Red line is English is it not? How does that relate to marines in Guadalcanal.

Also, way too much thinking aloud for a war movie. I GET, they want you to get the tortured souls.. But really, I don't think that did Justice. You get more about tortured souls from SPR and Captain Miller than you do from EVERY SINGLE actor thinking aloud in this one.

Alot of glaring inaccuracies too - Post WWII m1-garands... I think too many m1 garands too, considering the fact that it was Guadalcanal. Action choreography was wierd... A bit too many lone-wolf action points, grenades that went bang as soon as they hit the ground or turned out to be incendiary bombs, Americans jumping through grenade explosions, a squad of 6 men taking an entire Japanese platoon with nothing but jagged rocks as cover?! Terribly under-developed soldiering for each character, save for the director's need for them tortured souls to bleed to the viewers....

And yet SOMEHOW, it was supposed to have been hailed as such a great war movie!

For me, i give it a 3/10... Some one once said of A bridge too far, 'A multitude of stars does not a great movie make' - I think he was talking about this movie instead!

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #576 on: 20-04-2010, 01:04:42 »
I liked A Bridge Too Far...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: 20-04-2010, 12:04:04 »
Same here... I get the fact that Longest Day is technically superior, blablabla... but I personally prefer the fact that A bridge too far is modern enough for me to relate to - The way people simulate death throes has always annoyed me in movies earlier than 1970

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: 20-04-2010, 14:04:37 »
Bridge Too Far, to me, is still one of the best warmovies out there. Tried Thin Red Line when it came out, but couldn't finish it. I want to give it another try though to see if I like it when I'm not expecting a warmovie.  :-)

Generation Kill rocked by the way. Can understand the posters comment about it being boring, but that was indeed the whole point of the story: an expertly trained recce-unit gets to run around useless in the desert while the war is basically being fought by planes and joysticks.

Found the movie Leningrad yesterday.. Anyone know if it's any good?

FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: 20-04-2010, 19:04:41 »
 A Bridge Too Far is a great movie. I guess its a 9/10 for me. I think The Thin Red Line is quite good aswell. Though its way too long and way too much thinking. Ive seen it a few times, but ive usually stopped after the first hill-battle. Anyhow its not better than a 6-7/10 i guess. I think its very good filmed. Very good camera work.

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: 20-04-2010, 19:04:50 »
I fucking hated thin red line. it was so boring and just had nothing fun going on with it in my opinion.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #581 on: 20-04-2010, 19:04:20 »
I think Thin Red Line is 10 out of 10

But if you come and expect Saving Private Ryan this is not the movie you are looking for

And the acting between Sean Penn and Jim Chavizel is just amazing

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: 20-04-2010, 20:04:09 »
but it has worse innacuracies than SPR! And the chemistry in SPR is even more impressive imo

There just wasn't anything in thin red line that it did better than other war movies and many things it just did terribly... I'm not all for action, but frankly, I don't see how anyone can say Windtalkers was crappier than this, and Windtalkers was shit.

i know it stings when you like a movie and someone is just bashing it - sorry for that, Rawhide - i guess I just got a really terrible experience with it

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #583 on: 20-04-2010, 20:04:26 »
Hey, man. I don't blame you. I didn't like it either before. This is a movie that really has grown on me.

I don't care that much about Post-War made Garands and such, if you look at the acting and the way the movie is made and the way Malick chose to tell it is a very special way. I enjoy it very much today.

Hell, last time I saw it I can almost say I was spellbound by it. It has something very special that I just can't put my finger on.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: 20-04-2010, 20:04:44 »
imo TRL is alot better than Windtalkers at least. Maybe TRL are historical inaccurate, but Windtalkers are completely logically incorrect in all ways. I think its one of the worst war movies ive ever seen. I compare the action scenes with a Jackie Chan movie. And Nicholas Cage terrible acting talent on top of it all.

I think whats bad with both SPR and TRL is that they try to be so deep and profound. Like they wanna excuse themselves for making a war movie, beeing afraid they will be judged as promoting violence or something. Cant they just make a real bloody war movie without all this philosophical crap. SPR is kinda overrated imo, if TRL is a 7/10, i think SPR is only 8/10.