Author Topic: Vanilla Problem  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
Vanilla Problem
« on: 11-06-2009, 12:06:09 »
My brother wants to play BF2 vanilla, for whatever reason.  However, there's a problem.  When he joins a server, after the whole thing loads, and goes through the "Verifying Client Data" phase, the "Join Game" button pops up in the lower right, but he immediately get disconnected with this error message:

I couldn't care less about BF2 Vanilla working or not, but apparently he does.  I don't know if FH2 messed something up (I doubt it) or something else.  He'd like to play BF2 and he refuses to play FH2 until Normandy comes out.  Any help would be appreciated.

Also to preempt a suspected "fix":  Will un-installing and then re-installing BF2 delete FH2?  As in, will I have to re-install FH2 as well?

Also, I launched through BF2.exe, not FH2.exe.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Re: Vanilla Problem
« Reply #1 on: 11-06-2009, 12:06:51 »
Thats strange. Have you tried different servers?

I have tons of mods installed and I can play Vanilla fine. I tried it once when I was sick for a week and got so bored that I went playing Vanilla and it works fine with mods installed.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-06-2009, 13:06:18 »
He told me he tried a few different servers yesterday and I tried one today to see it myself.  When he wakes up, I'll ask him about it in more detail.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-06-2009, 18:06:18 »
Also to preempt a suspected "fix":  Will un-installing and then re-installing BF2 delete FH2?  As in, will I have to re-install FH2 as well?

Not sure about how to fix your prob, but to this question above the answer is yes.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-06-2009, 19:06:00 »
maybe you are using the shaders_client.zip from fh2 in bf2
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-06-2009, 19:06:37 »

Not sure about how to fix your prob, but to this question above the answer is yes.

Does that mean I will have to reinstall everything?  Sorry, Reading comprehension failure on my part :/

maybe you are using the shaders_client.zip from fh2 in bf2

Not likely.  The FH2.exe moves them back, right?  The only way they wouldn't is if I somehow had the wrong ones anyway...  And I don't know how that would have happened.

If it turns out I need to reinstall, should I do the thing where I need to go into the registry and completely remove BF2 from the computer?

I really don't want to reinstall.  Is there another reason I would get that error message?  One that's easier to fix?

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #6 on: 11-06-2009, 19:06:29 »
Just save all the downloads you need for BF2/FH2. Then re-installing takes 15 minutes. Atleast it does for me, I also had a time I never saved downloads to save space on my computer but with things like BF2 and mods I do save them because once in a while it needs a fresh install.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-06-2009, 20:06:18 »
Indeed, save all your downloads. Installers and patches are very easily stored on external HDDs (THE way to go for storage) and I even have installers from program which don't exist anymore, which comes in very handy everytime I reinstall my OS.

Reinstalling BF2/FH2 is so easy, it takes a short while and you only have to click a few times and fill in the key for BF2 once.

Oh, btw: you read well. If you reinstall BF2, you have to reinstall FH2 as well. I recommend to tick the box on "Keep profiles" when uninstalling. That way you can keep username and password automatically filled in at the start of the game.

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-06-2009, 22:06:56 »
So, it looks like the only way to fix it is to reinstall?

Screw that.  My brother is going to get grounded before he wants to play this again, and I'm pissed off at him, so I'll tell him he's out of luck and tell him to go jump off a bridge.

FH2 works fine, as far as I know.  And that's all I care about.  So he can go screw himself.

EDIT:  I do have the FH2.15 Full Install backed up, but not the BF2 patch(es?).  But they're relatively small and only take me 15 seconds to download them.  So if it ever comes down to having to reinstall, I don't have too much to worry about.
« Last Edit: 11-06-2009, 22:06:57 by Ionizer »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-06-2009, 23:06:22 »
I'm moved by this post full of brotherly love  ;)

GJ on the backup!

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-06-2009, 23:06:11 »
What can I say, he's a little ass hole.

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-06-2009, 11:06:57 »
Update: I caved and reinstalled for him.  I don't know if it fixed his problem, but FH2 runs just fine, and that's all I care about.  If it didn't fix his problem, I don't care, because there's nothing else I can do about it.

I deleted the BF2Editor when uninstalling, but I've recently found out that I won't have enough time to use it anyway.  I also will have to redownload a few maps for WaW, but they usually don't take more than a minute each.  Oh, the 1.41 patch took 15 minutes to download, not 15 seconds, but I have it backed up now in case something like this happens again.

I'm going to lock this thread, because if reinstalling didn't fix the problem he was having, nothing will.  And I don't really care anymore.  Thanks for the help, guys.  It's good to know I can come here for help not concerning FH2.
« Last Edit: 13-06-2009, 11:06:29 by Ionizer »