Author Topic: Picture of the Day (Other eras)  (Read 909101 times)

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
Re: Picture of the Day (Other eras)
« Reply #7230 on: 01-03-2014, 12:03:50 »

Russian trucks on their way to Sewastopol to Simferopol.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: 01-03-2014, 18:03:48 »

Unidentified armed men moving near the Crimean parliament building. Shots have been heard in the capital of Simferopol, French news report a firefight between alleged Russian soldiers who have occupied several places in Simferopol and Sevastopol since several days and the unidentified men pictured above.
Note the GM-94 grenade launcher carried by atleast two of the gunmen. The GM-94 is in use by various Speznas, FSB and MVD units of the Russian Federation. I can´t find any info on wether they´ve been exported outside of Russia, so make of that what you want.

EDIT:
French news report: http://video.lefigaro.fr/figaro/video/crimee-des-hommes-armes-tirent-sur-le-palais-du-gouvernement-les-soldats-russes-ne-bougent-pas/3275897723001/

My French´s a tad rusty nowadays, so I didn´t get every detail. Did they say that the alleged Russian troops didn´t shoot back? Not sure I got that right...
« Last Edit: 01-03-2014, 18:03:17 by hOMEr_jAy »
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: 01-03-2014, 20:03:20 »

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: 01-03-2014, 21:03:20 »
@hOMEr_jAy Your French seems to be good enough. So, those men armed with high tech weapons have fired some rounds and then left pretty calmly. The Russian troops nearby did not move or react in any way. Looks a bit strange indeed.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: 01-03-2014, 22:03:33 »
The Ukrainian navy flagship Hetman Sahaidachny, which has defected to the Russians according to latest reports
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: 02-03-2014, 01:03:24 »

Berkut has sat up roadblocks on the access roads to Crimea.
« Last Edit: 02-03-2014, 01:03:55 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: 02-03-2014, 13:03:53 »
@hOMEr_jAy Your French seems to be good enough. So, those men armed with high tech weapons have fired some rounds and then left pretty calmly. The Russian troops nearby did not move or react in any way. Looks a bit strange indeed.
Kinda funny how I still understood most of what the news report said, even though I haven´t had any French lessons in years...
But yeah, the whole thing does indeed look strange. One could argue that it was a false flag that would try to give a certain party in the conflict a reason for further military action. But IMHO it´s a rather clumsy attempt. First those "unknown" men without any insignia occupying the two Crimean airports, now this "attack"....I don´t want to draw any premature conclusions, but it kinda smells like a new version of the Gleiwitz incident.
It´s also interesting to see Berkut officers in action again, even though the unit has been disbanded some days ago.
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: 02-03-2014, 13:03:31 »

Biiviz

« Reply #7238 on: 02-03-2014, 16:03:43 »
But IMHO it´s a rather clumsy attempt. First those "unknown" men without any insignia occupying the two Crimean airports, now this "attack"....I don´t want to draw any premature conclusions, but it kinda smells like a new version of the Gleiwitz incident.

For an example of Russian use of the tactic, see Shelling of Mainila:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelling_of_Mainila

Same kind of false flag operation.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: 02-03-2014, 16:03:42 »
For an example of Russian use of the tactic, see Shelling of Mainila:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelling_of_Mainila

Same kind of false flag operation.
Thanks for the link. The whole thing that is currently going on has some really dubious points...

Anyway:

Ukrainian marines stand at their barracks gate. Several Ukrainian bases have been encircled by groups of "unidentified armed men" and there are rumours that in some of them Ukrainian troops have been disarmed. Apparently Ukrainian marines stationed in the port town of Feodosia have refused to surrender their arms though.
and not a soul to hear.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: 02-03-2014, 16:03:36 »
Kinda funny how I still understood most of what the news report said, even though I haven´t had any French lessons in years...
But yeah, the whole thing does indeed look strange. One could argue that it was a false flag that would try to give a certain party in the conflict a reason for further military action. But IMHO it´s a rather clumsy attempt. First those "unknown" men without any insignia occupying the two Crimean airports, now this "attack"....I don´t want to draw any premature conclusions, but it kinda smells like a new version of the Gleiwitz incident.
It´s also interesting to see Berkut officers in action again, even though the unit has been disbanded some days ago.

Simple explanation, they weren't disbanded by the east ukraine government.

Offline Tolga<3

• (No longer) terrorizing terrorists. :<
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: 03-03-2014, 04:03:16 »
I bet the attention whoring "peace" loving rebels of Syria are gettin pretty damn jealous of the attention Ukraine is getting at the moment. ;)

Venezuelans on the other hand must be pretty pissed too.

I heard those "unidentified men" didn't even use live rounds, they used blanks.

Iraqi SOF. Can't tell what the vehicle is but its packed like a train in India. Must not be very... rapid deploy-able with all that gear on it. I'm guessing the photo is from their recent ops against those Islamic weirdo's attacking Iraq, Syria and Turkey simultaneously while pissing everyone else off... ISIL or whatever their name is.

One has to wonder when these guys will stop posing for fkn Call Of Duty and do their jobs.
« Last Edit: 03-03-2014, 04:03:47 by Tolga<3 »
Epilepsy is bad.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: 03-03-2014, 13:03:14 »
I heard those "unidentified men" didn't even use live rounds, they used blanks.

I heard a story that goes like this:
A militia of fighters paid by local oligarchs occupied the parliament in simferopol or a nearby building, targeting to threat journalists having an office there, because the oligarchs had some unfinished business with the journalists.
When the other unmarked (russian) soldiers came to occupy the parliament, a gunfight evolved and nobody knew who was who. So it was local pro-russian militia fighting the russian soldiers. Because of this, the militia vanished that quickly and nobody is worried at all.

As long as you're not worried about oligarchs threatening journalists.
« Last Edit: 03-03-2014, 13:03:18 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: 04-03-2014, 23:03:55 »
I'll give you a video link. Video material filmed by Germans during Finnish Civil War in 1918, about 20 minutes of it.

http://www.filmportal.de/node/74721/video/1215495

Biiviz

« Reply #7244 on: 05-03-2014, 00:03:09 »
Sometimes I feel like we should just create a FH2 subreddit, since that's were half of us are nowadays anyways.