Author Topic: FH2 randomly CTDing  (Read 5479 times)

Offline tippy

• View Profile
FH2 randomly CTDing
« on: 16-07-2012, 02:07:19 »
I got FH2 2.45 installed and everything it will run fine for about 45 minutes then randomly CTD no error or anything. My screen goes black for a second and then I am back on the desktop.

Offline Excavus

• Member of the FH2 Cynic Club
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 randomly CTDing
« Reply #1 on: 16-07-2012, 06:07:54 »
Same problem. Operation Cobra, in a M4A1 76, loading AP shells, bam randomly crashes.

Offline M.Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16-07-2012, 16:07:57 »
Same problem! I will load the map up and 10 secs later it CTD....

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16-07-2012, 17:07:14 »
Could you guys run FH2 in windowed mode for me. Would be nice to know what error pops up just before the game ctds.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline tippy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16-07-2012, 21:07:13 »
I ran it in windowed mode...I still don't get an error when I ctd.

Offline tippy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-07-2012, 01:07:07 »
Anyone got anything else I could do?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-07-2012, 08:07:01 »
Ok, how much RAM are you running, what's your OS and where is FH2/BF2 installed?

Offline Ahonen

• "The grass just spoke chinese."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-07-2012, 14:07:37 »
Also getting random CTDs, several times a day, regardless of map.
Specs are a GTX460, an i5 2500k and 4GBs of RAM. GPU doesn't overheat.
Had the same random CTDs on my previous builds as well, on all versions of FH2.

Oh, and running Win7 64. Admin mode on etc.
« Last Edit: 18-07-2012, 15:07:47 by Ahonen »
-A certain plumber took 'shrooms when he failed to rescue his girlfriend from being raped by a gorilla. His whole experience was documented in a game.

Offline tippy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-07-2012, 18:07:05 »
Im running 8 gigs of ram. Windows 7 64 bit with a AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor. With a Radeon 5570.

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-07-2012, 19:07:45 »
Aside from maps known to crash from time to time (in 2.4 atleast; Gazala, El Alamein, Cobra and a few more) it could be anything from drivers to faulty hardware like memory etc. If other games crash then check memory with memtest and cpu/gpu temp. always update drivers for soundcard, chipset gfx, network adapter.

Offline Ahonen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19-07-2012, 12:07:23 »
Aside from maps known to crash from time to time (in 2.4 atleast; Gazala, El Alamein, Cobra and a few more) it could be anything from drivers to faulty hardware like memory etc. If other games crash then check memory with memtest and cpu/gpu temp. always update drivers for soundcard, chipset gfx, network adapter.

Never had this issue with other games, including BF2. This is a FH2-only thing for me and it is the number one reason why I don't play more than 2-3 games a day, when I really want to play more of the awesome .45 stuff. As said in an earlier post, the temps are normal. And I doubt that it would be hardware related seeing as how I got the same random CTDs on three different PC builds.
« Last Edit: 19-07-2012, 12:07:38 by Ahonen »
-A certain plumber took 'shrooms when he failed to rescue his girlfriend from being raped by a gorilla. His whole experience was documented in a game.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19-07-2012, 13:07:39 »
Unfortunately the CTDs is something we all have to live with. Some suffer from this more than others and although devs have tried many times to find a solution, nobody knows exactly what causes it. From my experience it' s most likely RAM/sound card related as it happens when a lot of things start to blow up / show on screen (diving with a plane, artillery shelling nearby). It's a persistent problem haunting FH2 from day 1.

Offline Ahonen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19-07-2012, 15:07:49 »
it' s most likely RAM/sound card related as it happens when a lot of things start to blow up / show on screen (diving with a plane, artillery shelling nearby).

Nope. It happens to me even on Pointe du Hoc when nothing happens. Happened twice in a row yesterday, and didn't CTD throughout Bastogne later even in the thick of the fight. Again, it happened to me through 3 different PC builds (the latest one having no trouble running ArmA2 on high settings), and regardless of audio source. Be it integrated chip or my Creative SC, bug still happens.

Since this happens only on FH2 and since the beginning, it means that the devs were the ones who introduced the bug early. Can't they track it back, going through the first versions until they reach the one that started all that?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19-07-2012, 15:07:50 »
Well there have been numerous tries iirc, but they all boiled down to how BF2 uses it's networkable objects and how the engine uses the RAM on a PC.
The devs have done a lot of things to improve the performance (better shaders, better resource loading, etc...) while pushing the engine to it's limits, but here's the crux. FH2 looks on par with games from 2010 on an engine that was made in 2005 and thus has mutated to the best hardware benchmark program you can wish for. If there is one single error in your RAM, then it will CTD once it touches that on bit in your RAM address. ^^

A solution would be to reduce the number of vehicles, statics and kits on a map, but that would really be a pitty imho.
Just load back up once you CTD! With modern hardware that takes less than 2min.

I seem to belong to the lucky few who can play 3h without a CTD, but that's how I'd do it if I'd ctd.

Offline Eglaerinion

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-07-2012, 15:07:10 »
You should try a clean boot of the PC and play some rounds. See if it makes a difference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
"The wolves will come again."