Author Topic: FH2 Modding Q&A  (Read 143153 times)

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
Re: FH2 Modding Q&A
« Reply #90 on: 14-10-2009, 11:10:35 »
It's only the client and server zips that get made I think. Take a look in mods/fh2/levels folder and you'll see maps have the zips and then an info folder containing the menu images and map.desc file.

Offline [F|H]Taz18

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor
« Reply #91 on: 14-10-2009, 20:10:41 »
What i am doing wrong?

Using the editor to pack your map.  :P

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 15-10-2009, 00:10:01 »
@torenico
you could use those bf2 pack batch files.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 15-10-2009, 06:10:46 »
@torenico
you could use those bf2 pack batch files.

I have those, and where do they go?

I have to extract them inside my map folder?

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 19-10-2009, 06:10:27 »
place the BatchScripts folder into the Battlefield 2/mods/fh2 directory, and copy the pack_level batch file into the directory of your map.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 21-10-2009, 23:10:40 »
Really quick question:  With all the new 2.2 stuff, how much space does all the modding/mapping files (including the unpacked .zips and BF2editor files, and everything else you might need) take up on your HDD?  My computer only has an 80 Gb hard drive, and only 30 Gb of that is available (and I want to keep 15 Gb free at all times for virtual memory/defragging purposes, so really only 15 Gb is available).  BF2 and FH2 already takes up close to 10 Gb on my computer (I keep the various patch installers and stuff like that, so it kinda takes up twice as much space as normal), so it's kinda hard to convince myself to use more of my HDD space on BF2 and FH2.  If I'm guessing correctly, it's basically a completely separate install of the files in non-compressed (non-zipped) folders, making it another 3-5 Gb that it would be sucking up on my computer.

Hmm.  I guess that's a lot of backstory for a simple question.  But all I really want to know is how much space the modding files and extracted stuff will take up on my computer.

azreal

« Reply #96 on: 22-10-2009, 03:10:51 »
My objects folder (all the .zip files extracted) is coming out to somewhere around 2.55GB.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 22-10-2009, 18:10:05 »
...BF2 and FH2 already takes up close to 10 Gb on my computer (I keep the various patch installers and stuff like that, so it kinda takes up twice as much space as normal)...

I copy all my installers/patches to DVD for that exact reason. And if anything bad happens to your HDD you don't have to re-download everything.

My BF2 (+mods) is close to 20Gb... :P

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 22-10-2009, 18:10:54 »
My objects folder (all the .zip files extracted) is coming out to somewhere around 2.55GB.
That's it?  How big is the Editor itself?

...BF2 and FH2 already takes up close to 10 Gb on my computer (I keep the various patch installers and stuff like that, so it kinda takes up twice as much space as normal)...

I copy all my installers/patches to DVD for that exact reason. And if anything bad happens to your HDD you don't have to re-download everything.

My BF2 (+mods) is close to 20Gb... :P
I don't have any blank DVD-Rs...and the last time I tried to burn something, it got corrupted on the transfer, twice.  so that's a no-go.  Maybe I can store it on my iPod...  I only have like 1GB of music and video on it and you can technically use it a flash drive.  So, I spent $300 for 30Gb flash drive that plays music (several years ago).  I don't even know where the damn thing is...

I just checked and BF2 (and patches, and mods) takes up 12-13 GB on my HDD right now.

Meh, it doesn't matter, I don't think I have enough commitment to actually make a good map anyway.  Plus, I'm fairly certain my computer wouldn't like the BFEditor, either.  (I never got past the drawing board stages on my failed "Fort Capuzzo" map so, I'm a little gun-shy about trying again...)

Sorry for wasting your time.
« Last Edit: 22-10-2009, 18:10:30 by Ionizer »

Offline Vicconius

• View Profile
    • TDRgaming.com
« Reply #99 on: 24-10-2009, 00:10:48 »
Can anyone here please tell me how the BF2/FH2 map editors compare to the Hammer editor for source games?  I have spent the past few years learning that program to a level good enough to release publicly and actually see my maps playing on servers.  Since the only WWII game Valve offers is slowly biting the dust, I am seriously considering starting the learning process over again for FH2.

The Hammer editor is all about optimization, draw distances, and visleafs, something I have always been curious about with regards to BF/FH type maps.  With 64P servers and so much potentially going on at once, what are the key factors relating to map making to keep client framerates at decent levels?

I am somewhat new around here (although played a lot of FH1) so any help and advice would be most appreciated.  I am going to go and start reading tutorials found in these forums, and hope I can use some of what I have learned with other editors to help speed up the learning process.

Thank you in advance.

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #100 on: 24-10-2009, 22:10:00 »
Really quick question:  With all the new 2.2 stuff, how much space does all the modding/mapping files (including the unpacked .zips and BF2editor files, and everything else you might need) take up on your HDD?  My computer only has an 80 Gb hard drive, and only 30 Gb of that is available (and I want to keep 15 Gb free at all times for virtual memory/defragging purposes, so really only 15 Gb is available).  BF2 and FH2 already takes up close to 10 Gb on my computer (I keep the various patch installers and stuff like that, so it kinda takes up twice as much space as normal), so it's kinda hard to convince myself to use more of my HDD space on BF2 and FH2.  If I'm guessing correctly, it's basically a completely separate install of the files in non-compressed (non-zipped) folders, making it another 3-5 Gb that it would be sucking up on my computer.

Hmm.  I guess that's a lot of backstory for a simple question.  But all I really want to know is how much space the modding files and extracted stuff will take up on my computer.

i got 2 installations of FH2. One Public and one Beta/Modding with ca. 3 Mapprojects of me and i have 12,3 GB Space for that, includes unpacked Maps, unpacked objects, weapons ect.....

Offline Neri

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 28-10-2009, 13:10:13 »
I am having a bad time when moving objects in editor. Now they don´t move as I move the arrowsor the box, they when I move and the stop, then they jump from their previous position to the new one. This started today on a map that was already in the works. I reinstalled the editor but nothing changed.

So, does anyone knows how to solve this? I´m up for any sollution, except formating.  :P

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 28-10-2009, 14:10:38 »
Using Vista/Win 7?

I have the same problem, although it did work properly for a time... And now doesn't anymore.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Neri

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 28-10-2009, 21:10:11 »
Exactly, I´m using windows 7. It worked until yesterday, now its a crap.

So, how do you move the objects now? manually setting the coordinates?

Also, how can I change the short of the editor so it directly open the map?
« Last Edit: 28-10-2009, 21:10:40 by Neri »

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 28-10-2009, 22:10:23 »
The Hammer editor is all about optimization, draw distances, and visleafs, something I have always been curious about with regards to BF/FH type maps.  With 64P servers and so much potentially going on at once, what are the key factors relating to map making to keep client framerates at decent levels?

A normal bf2 level has a drawdistance between 130-600, City / village dense forest maps 130-300, open maps with smaller number of objects 300-600, you can debug your level and measure drawcalls and track performance drops with the debugger (bf2_r.exe) , type renderer.drawfps 1 and renderer.drawgraphs 1 and it will display bottlenecks.

I am somewhat new around here (although played a lot of FH1) so any help and advice would be most appreciated.  I am going to go and start reading tutorials found in these forums, and hope I can use some of what I have learned with other editors to help speed up the learning process.

Thank you in advance.

Good luck!