Author Topic: [SOLVED] Help Please, FH 2 Will Not "Boot Up"  (Read 1980 times)

Offline [F|H]DONNIS

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor Oceania
[SOLVED] Help Please, FH 2 Will Not "Boot Up"
« on: 01-05-2016, 17:05:03 »
Hi all,

So I went to start FH 2 yesterday after not playing for a while and it had to update of course. It said it updated then I tried to launch it from the launcher and it has not worked at all since the last time I played months ago.

Once it checks for updates and gives you the all clear, it then takes you back to the main menu of the Launcher, then I select 'Play' and it goes to a black screen as if it's working and changing the resolution, then a grey screen like the FH 2 program is appearing and then back to a black as if it's working and changing the resolution and then I'm back to the desktop where I started.

So I didn't try much before I decided it must have become corrupted somehow in the update or something. So I deleted all FH 2 - because I couldn't find an uninstall wizard at all? - and begun to download the whole thing from the Launcher. Realising this was going to take a week or two I then just downloaded the two part installers from the Downloads page. The first time somehow the second file corrupted. Anyway, got it all installed finally after freezing up, incredibly slow times for the install wizard to show up and all the other painful experiences unnecessary. So that's 2.51 I believe.

Ran the .exe, not the launcher, just the ForgottenHope2.exe or whatever it is that comes with a fresh install. It ran updates, updated a little (1.0 Mb from memory) and then was ready to run like previously. Exact same thing happened and is still happening.

Please help me, I'm struggling.

I use Windows Vista and have put on Admin' rights and the rest. I've never had issues with FH 2 until now to be honest, it's always been smooth for me, including installing and updating.

It's like the process is beginning and then being killed for some reason?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 09-05-2016, 13:05:54 by [F|H]DONNIS »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please, FH 2 Will Not "Boot Up"
« Reply #1 on: 01-05-2016, 22:05:57 »
Nice, you provided a lot of info, but there is always some more info missing ;)

Are you logging in with an account?
Did you try running Wondowed Mode? If yes, what did you get an error mesage? If yes, what did it say?
Have you tried playing BF2 without FH2? If yes, did it work?

Offline [F|H]DONNIS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-05-2016, 04:05:50 »
Nice, you provided a lot of info, but there is always some more info missing ;)

Are you logging in with an account?
Did you try running Wondowed Mode? If yes, what did you get an error mesage? If yes, what did it say?
Thanks, I try my best to help those helping me!

Yes logging in with an account, however I did try it without that option and had the same result.

I have not tried window mode no, I will try that tonight! I've always run it in fullscreen in the past.

Not since this issue has arisen. I will also try that tonight. I was able to run Project Reality however, which even though it's a standalone now I think it still feeds off BF 2?

Also a note of potential importance is that a few times - it's stopped now - when I was opening up the "FH2Launcher.exe" it came up with an error message saying, "There's something wrong in the GamePlay section" and it would open the GamePlay menu from the Options.

Thank you for your time!

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile

Offline [F|H]DONNIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-05-2016, 07:05:06 »
No I haven't sorry, should I also? Cheers.

Offline [F|H]DONNIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-05-2016, 10:05:42 »
You go good Slayer!

Window mode;

BF 2 Vanilla;

Now what do I do! ?

This reminds me of ages ago, probably even years, I remember an issue regarding FH 2 and shaders with BF 2 that you used to have to clear a folder to "reset" them?

I look forward to your response!

Thank you. :)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-05-2016, 13:05:44 »
OK, it's a BF2 problem. I guess it has something to do with shaders, you could try the following first:

The error has something to do with cleaning the shader cache folder. You can delete this cache folder manually anytime without any problems. Next time you run the game, the shader cache will simply get re-created.

So go to "my documents/forgottenhp2/mods/bf2/cache/" and delete everything you find there.
Then run the launcher again and use the repair function.
You can also clear the "my documents/Batttlefield 2/mods/bf2/cache", it gets recreated when you launch the game.

If this doesn't help, then I guess that something went wrong installing patch 1.50, because that's what the first error message mentions. Did you install BF2 in the correct order, namely BF2/patch 1.41/patch 1.50? The install guide is here: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=3493.0

Offline [F|H]DONNIS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-05-2016, 09:05:12 »
OK, it's a BF2 problem. I guess it has something to do with shaders, you could try the following first:

The error has something to do with cleaning the shader cache folder. You can delete this cache folder manually anytime without any problems. Next time you run the game, the shader cache will simply get re-created.

So go to "my documents/forgottenhp2/mods/bf2/cache/" and delete everything you find there.
Then run the launcher again and use the repair function.
You can also clear the "my documents/Batttlefield 2/mods/bf2/cache", it gets recreated when you launch the game.

If this doesn't help, then I guess that something went wrong installing patch 1.50, because that's what the first error message mentions. Did you install BF2 in the correct order, namely BF2/patch 1.41/patch 1.50? The install guide is here: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=3493.0
The FH 2 cache folder was empty. The BF 2 one had two folders in it which I deleted.

Done the 'Repair' on the FH 2 Launcher, all seemed fine and then got this error message again;

I notice it has a code of "BF1942.font" in there which seems strange? I also have that installed of course, but I wouldn't assume they'd conflict somehow?

I'm confident there's nothing wrong in the patch, as I done this probably over five years ago now and it's never been an issue. It's definitely been installed correctly.

It wasn't till I went to play FH 2 the other day this problem occurred after it updated.

Thank you.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-05-2016, 11:05:08 »
My guess is that if your BF2 is corrupted, then FH2 won't work properly aswell. So I would try reinstalling BF2 first as it is giving error messages too. How you do this is explained here:

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/fh2_downloads.php?

Incase that you use the retail version, make sure that you apply patch 1.41 and after that patch v.1.5 properly, otherwise it will not work. The last error is showing a problem connected to Patch 1.5 so my guess is, that you installed FH2 without the required patches for BF2.

Besides that you can also follow the battlelog link wich should be alot easier and doesn't require any patching of BF2.

Would be also interesting to know your PC specs, incase that reinstalling the whole thing doesn't work. Also make sure that you installed your proper gfx drivers.

« Last Edit: 03-05-2016, 11:05:28 by hitm4k3r »

Offline [F|H]DONNIS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-05-2016, 11:05:00 »
On a side note before I reply again, in my BF 2 installation directory (D:\Games\mods) there's only a "fh2" folder in there, none for BF 2. That must be wrong?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-05-2016, 15:05:58 »
On a side note before I reply again, in my BF 2 installation directory (D:\Games\mods) there's only a "fh2" folder in there, none for BF 2. That must be wrong?
Yes, that is wrong. My mods folder contains three folders:

- bf2
- fh2
- xpack

and two files for uninstalling.

Like hitm4k3r I think your BF2 installation got screwed up. You reinstalled FH2 already right? I think now you should give it a try to reinstall BF2 completely.
« Last Edit: 03-05-2016, 15:05:50 by Slayer »

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-05-2016, 17:05:55 »
D:\Games\mods sound awfully wrong. If anything it should be D:\games\Battlefield 2\mods\ which should contain bf2, fh2, xpack.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-05-2016, 22:05:45 »
And just to make sure: after reinstalling BF2, you will also need to reinstall FH2.

Offline [F|H]DONNIS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04-05-2016, 00:05:57 »
D:\Games\mods sound awfully wrong. If anything it should be D:\games\Battlefield 2\mods\ which should contain bf2, fh2, xpack.
Yeah I know it sounds wrong but it is okay, back when I installed it years ago I accidentally stuffed up the folder directory and it installed like that without the "Battlefield 2" folder.

Yes Slayer, so I'm missing that "bf2" folder which seems really strange! It must have disappeared somehow in the FH 2 update. Yeah I reinstalled FH 2 as 2.51 via the two file downloads and didn't use the Launcher to update. Yes it's looking that way! Haha yes I'm aware of that, thanks.

Quote from: hitm4k3r
My guess is that if your BF2 is corrupted, then FH2 won't work properly aswell. So I would try reinstalling BF2 first as it is giving error messages too. How you do this is explained here:

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/fh2_downloads.php?

Incase that you use the retail version, make sure that you apply patch 1.41 and after that patch v.1.5 properly, otherwise it will not work. The last error is showing a problem connected to Patch 1.5 so my guess is, that you installed FH2 without the required patches for BF2.

Besides that you can also follow the battlelog link wich should be alot easier and doesn't require any patching of BF2.

Would be also interesting to know your PC specs, incase that reinstalling the whole thing doesn't work. Also make sure that you installed your proper gfx drivers.
Yeah, it sounds like BF 2 has been corrupted and therefore also FH 2.

All I can say is that it must have somehow been the FH 2 update and/or reinstallation that caused this error because all had been fine until I went to play again and it needed an update.

Is that the free version of updated BF 2, the Battlelog link?

PC spec's:
CPU: NEW Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz x 4 6MB Cache 1333FSB LGA775
Motherboard: ASUS P5QL-EPU latest Intel P43 chipset
RAM: 8GB DDR2-800 memory in Dual Channel
HDD: Samsung HD103SI 1TB
Graphics: ATI HD 4850 512MB
DVD: Samsung/LG 22X dual layer fastest DVD-RW
Sound: 8 Channel High Definition Audio
Network: Broadband ready gigabit network
Monitor: BENQ 22" Full HD 10000:1 Contrast Ratio Widescreen LCD
Power supply: 500W Dual 12V rail high performance PSU

Thank you for the help everyone! I will reinstall tonight I think.

Stupid question, FH 2 still requires a functional BF 2 to work doesn't it? It's not a standalone game now?

Cheers.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04-05-2016, 01:05:46 »
Thank you for the help everyone! I will reinstall tonight I think.

Stupid question, FH 2 still requires a functional BF 2 to work doesn't it? It's not a standalone game now?

Cheers.
Good luck and yes, it needs a functional BF2.