Author Topic: Singleplayer Patch C for Forgotten Hope 2.45 - DOWNLOAD  (Read 18618 times)

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Singleplayer Patch C for Forgotten Hope 2.45 - DOWNLOAD
« Reply #30 on: 21-06-2013, 03:06:11 »
OK, was just in Sidi Bou Sid for a long time for a very fun AI game :D Thanks for the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) tip as things seem to be a lot more stable. In fact I could swear the obviously abysmal DEP was slowing down my entire system so I disabled it completely. This especially as it actually disabled a game of mine in ArmA2 due to possibly picking up script activity ... grrr .. what a piece of ... anyway its off now.
Hmm, usually DEP causes problems only with rather ancient programs, created before its introduction.

I have to say something about the german Tiger I think it is. I hate bringing this kind of thing up because I feel I'm somehow criticising your amazing work. Anyway it has to be done. I wonder if the multiple firing of the Tiger gun can be fixed ? It still fires 3 times occasionally which kind of effects historical immersion  ;D 
Do you mean the 'autocannon' effect, as I call it, when a gun makes 'boom-boom-boom' instead of a single 'boom'? I've seen the effect with Panthers, 88s, American 57mm guns, but only while playing on local dedicated coop server. In my case, I suspect, it's caused by limitations of my PC - 3 GB of RAM, the top limit of memory available for applications on 32 bit PCs, are not enough for running FH2 server and FH2 client simultaneously, so it creates memory lags.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 21-06-2013, 13:06:58 »
So that does not happen in SP/client only mode ? I have 4 gigs of memory and don't notice any other assets having repeated sounds.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22-06-2013, 14:06:46 »
It happens online also.
But its just cosmetic, no actual shot.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 24-06-2013, 20:06:41 »
Hi djinn. I go into FH for the authentic vehicles so its not "cosmetic" to me. Rather immersion interrupting actually.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25-07-2013, 22:07:59 »
Just had a game of Gazala. Amazing ! I was able to apply some tactics with a lot of help from the AI for once. Tank got repaired. British were making it across to the NW outpost and retaking it a few times which I think is new. Pretty sure they only ever got half way there. An AI soldier used my Vickers tripod MG from the pickup kit. I'm reluctant to report, as everything else was going ok, that when I tried to remount it, I got ...

---------------------------
BF2 Error
Debug assertion failed!

Version: 1.5.3153-802.0 Build date:
Module: Game
File: C:\dice\Projects\BF2Branches\Patch_1_50\Code\BF2\Game\Objects\Game\PlayerControlObject.cpp
Line: 771

Text: You have tried to enter a vehicle that is not prepared for use with AI: vickers303_tripod_dep

Current confile:

Cancel   Try Again   Continue   

Rest of it was a purring machine  ;D. Got a big desert battle going.

That message usually means that the vehicle has no AI template assigned at all (missing 'ObjectTemplate.aiTemplate' line in the .tweak) or AI template with such name doesn't exist.

Damn, I was wrong. It's not a missing AI template (which is fixable), it's a quirk of BF2 (which is not fixable, AFAIK). Every kit with deployable MG or mortar causes CTD if you try to enter the gun instead of a bot, even if the same gun works perfectly when placed somewhere on a map. Strangely, I found that if you kill the bot in the gun, you may enter it safely. Meanwhile, I think, I have to remove pickup mortars and MGs from all the singleplayer maps.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 26-07-2013, 16:07:19 »
Sounds drastic. Why not just put a warning like you did with the exiting vehicles in narrow corridors ? Would be a shame to remove them as the AI does use them OK, and the fault lies with DICE/EA not FH.

Anyway, violently having to shoot a bot to get a deployable seems in the spirit of the batty AI  ;D

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27-07-2013, 15:07:28 »
I would not say that all those MG and mortar pickups play a very important role, even if my investigation was triggered by desire to deliver something more serious than the BAR to the last enemy flag. So I think, it would be safer to remove them instead of risking someone skipping or forgetting the warning. Besides, the vehicle warning doesn't work even for me, I still occasionally crash to desktop on exiting a vehicle in the wrong place.

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 27-07-2013, 16:07:30 »
Whatever gavant  :) It's your decision, I love all the great work you are doing for FH  ;D I just have a thing about the deployables. Guess it should be relatively easy to add them back in if I want to.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27-07-2013, 18:07:35 »
Thank, DJ Barney :) Meanwhile, it seems that I found a solution - set a negative temperature (-100 or something like that) to the gun on a specific map only. That way bots don't even think about entering the gun.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31-07-2013, 00:07:11 »
The entering an mg thing is not a quirk or bug, its an uncaught exception.

1. You can't replace a human player on a deployable mg.
2. In FH2, it is assumed any deployable will disappear once exited, except when the operator is killed.
3. Bots in BF2/FH2 will always exit if you displace them.
4. So you have a scenario not accounted for, exiting a weapon that should disappear on exiting, but can't because the player is immediately switching place.

I really think we ought to keep bots using deployables.

AI in FH2, as I always envisioned it is logistics, not strategy because bots can't do strategy.
Teach a bot to use a weapon the way it should be used at the range it should be and they will do so exactly.
1/ An mg gunner will fire prone from range till the enemy is dead or out of range before moving up
2/ Enemy infantry realizing they are getting more lead from the mg will engage it more than the others.
3. Riflemen accompanying the mg will now be lower priority targets, therefore able to move in, so it serves as mg suppression would have in multiplayer, to allow the assault team to move in.

This applies to everything; mobile artillery will fire from distant range till the enemy is gone, mortar and mg will remain on their kit, never leaving, and creating a hard point no matter where they are, to make lonewolfing a hazzardous prospect for players.

...Just don't enter a deployable weapon being used by a bot is what I say.

However, it is excellent to use bots to give covering fire with deployables.

I can set up defenses with just my squad when facing insurmountable odds by setting an mg to keep infantry at bay, while focusing on tougher tasks like tanks

Alternatively, when attacking hard points like the nebelwerfer on Purple Heart lane, it helps to set up a mortar or an mg to suppress or indeed kill as many of the enemy attacking from behind the nebelwerfer, so that you can safely move in with most focused on firing at your mg, which, if you position right, would be clear of your attack path, able to take down enemy, and yet hard to kill.

The solution of simply stopping bots from doing stuff, I feel should be used sparingly. Smoke was a rare instance it was needed. Otherwise, I feel we lose a logistic aspect that makes SP close to as fullfilling as online play.

In Fh1, bots could not do A LOT of things, so the experience was wholly lacking.

I really wish we won't start doing that here too.

« Last Edit: 31-07-2013, 00:07:51 by djinn »

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 07-08-2013, 19:08:15 »
I even think the smoke should have been left in because it adds atmosphere ! But I'm not actively developing at the moment. Imperfect is better than nothing at a allt. However, saying that, a CTD is always a massive let down and does not install confidence in the FH build. Maybe stability should trump everything. New players especially don't know the foibles of AI play.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17-10-2013, 17:10:57 »
I finally switched my server to Patch C. So far it's running very smoothly. The server name is "[JDR] FH 2.45 COOP Patch C". VOIP is now enabled on the server. AI difficulty setting is at 70.

Most of the maps crash the server occasionally, no doubt due to humans exiting vehicles in areas with no navmesh or humans entering deployable weapons occupied by bots. But most of the maps play through just fine, most of the time. Definite improvement over Patch B.

However, two of the maps seem to crash the server every time: Battle of Brest and Meuse River. There doesn't seem to be any specific situation that causes this, but I'll keep monitoring them and will report anything I find.

I currently play with up to three friends, and it's been working okay with them most of the time. But I sometimes see unknown people joining, followed immediately by a server crash. I know that clients not running patch C will likely crash, but can that also crash the server?

Bot aim in Patch C does seem to be better, but friendly fire is still a problem; I have to remind myself to stay out of their line of fire. I guess we have to live (and die) with this.

No new bot/AI issues of note, but lots of improvements (as advertised). Excellent work, guys!

Question: is there a list of commands bots WILL respond to? They seem to repair and heal on demand, and occasionally I can get a bot to wait for me, but they seem to ignore 'get in' and 'get out' orders.

I did notice that bots in certain tanks and emplacements seem able to do rapid fire, which is just weird. This happens on my (Internet) server almost every time I play. I've been unable to determine whether there's any 'bite' to those 'barks' but I'll keep checking. If these weird rapid firing weapons aren't able to do any damage, I guess it's not a big deal, but it is oddly distracting, so I'd love to see it fixed.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18-10-2013, 18:10:05 »
I currently play with up to three friends, and it's been working okay with them most of the time. But I sometimes see unknown people joining, followed immediately by a server crash. I know that clients not running patch C will likely crash, but can that also crash the server?
Jeff, yesterday I tried to sabotage your server with a clean 2.45 copy without patch C installed. As predicted, my client crashed, the server survived. Maybe, only specific maps cause server crashes?
One tip, Jeff: raise ticket ratio from 100 to the default value - 200. With 100 the rounds are too short, I'm afraid.

Question: is there a list of commands bots WILL respond to? They seem to repair and heal on demand, and occasionally I can get a bot to wait for me, but they seem to ignore 'get in' and 'get out' orders.
Well, AFAIK, bots understand only basic attack/defend orders and most probably repair request. 'Get in' and 'get out' are definitely not present in their dictionary with vanilla 2.45 commorose. As for healing request, even if bots respond to it, they don't know how to heal.

I did notice that bots in certain tanks and emplacements seem able to do rapid fire, which is just weird. This happens on my (Internet) server almost every time I play. I've been unable to determine whether there's any 'bite' to those 'barks' but I'll keep checking. If these weird rapid firing weapons aren't able to do any damage, I guess it's not a big deal, but it is oddly distracting, so I'd love to see it fixed.
Is your Internet server the same PC you play on? I'm asking this because the issue with rapid fire (guns making multiple shots instead of one) has been seen in the wild only on dedicated coop servers sharing PC with clients. I suspect lack of memory for running FH2 server and FH2 client simultaneously as the cause, but there are other opinions on the matter.
« Last Edit: 19-10-2013, 14:10:17 by gavrant »

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19-10-2013, 14:10:57 »
Jeff, yesterday I tried to sabotage your server with a clean 2.45 copy without patch C installed. As predicted, my client crashed, the server survived. Maybe, only specific maps cause server crashes?
One tip, Jeff: raise ticket ratio from 100 to the default value - 200. With 100 the rounds are too short, I'm afraid.

Thanks for testing the server. I'm going to keep monitoring the server crashes, and will try to detect a pattern. I'll let you know what I find. It could be certain maps. It could be that the players that seem to be causing the server crashes are doing things they shouldn't be, like abandoning vehicles where there are no navmeshes or entering a bot-occupied deployable. But that seems unlikely, given that the server crashes happen almost immediately after the player joins.

As for the ticket ratio: I was previously running the server at ratio 175, but was finding the rounds too long. I recently dropped it to 100 as a test, and I'm finding that the round lengths are much better. There are a couple of maps that need more tickets, but in general I find that the attacker has time to take the entire map before their tickets run out, as long as they don't waste any time. Other players on the server agree, so far anyway. I may tweak it back up to 125 or 150, but at 200 the rounds just go on forever, and end up with people getting bored and asking for the next map. At ratio 200, most of the maps seem to have in excess of 800 tickets per side.

Well, AFAIK, bots understand only basic attack/defend orders and most probably repair request. 'Get in' and 'get out' are definitely not present in their dictionary with vanilla 2.45 commorose. As for healing request, even if bots respond to it, they don't know how to heal.

Thanks for the confirmation. I must have imagined that healing behaviour.

Are your Internet server is the same PC you play on? I'm asking this because the issue with rapid fire (guns making multiple shots instead of one) has been seen in the wild only on dedicated coop servers sharing PC with clients. I suspect lack of memory for running FH2 server and FH2 client simultaneously as the cause, but there are other opinions on the matter.

The server is definitely separate from my client PC. It's a powerful new Linux server that I rarely access directly for anything. It runs the dedicated coop BF2 server, but isn't shared with clients at all. Memory is nowhere near being an issue, with the BF2 server process using about 3% of what's available. CPU is also not an issue, since the BF2 server uses about 12% of a single CPU (of the eight available) at any given time. I will start recording my sessions until I have an example of this happening; I'll post the video and point to it here.

Offline jrivett

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21-10-2013, 02:10:50 »
Is your Internet server the same PC you play on? I'm asking this because the issue with rapid fire (guns making multiple shots instead of one) has been seen in the wild only on dedicated coop servers sharing PC with clients. I suspect lack of memory for running FH2 server and FH2 client simultaneously as the cause, but there are other opinions on the matter.
I've posted a video of the multifire thing on Youtube: http://youtu.be/gaRti18LtX8
I just recorded another example and I may have more. It looks like only the last 'round' has any kick to it, but it's still a bit of a distraction. I keep trying to find alternate firing modes but obviously I'm just wasting my time.

Patch C rocks.