Author Topic: Weapon 3D ironsights/sway feedback  (Read 32528 times)

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon 3D ironsights/sway feedback
« Reply #180 on: 13-04-2011, 17:04:53 »
I think we need to look at this as a game first, a simulation second.

Nobody said that deviation was a realistic representation of ballistics, what deviation does give you however is the ability to tailor weapons to specific roles, and to control the ways in which players fight.

One of the most shining examples of deviations glory is the current misc deviation added when jumping and going prone. That single change has damn near eradicated the dolphin diving problem in the game.

Deviation is used when players are moving to make their shots less accurate, forcing them to stop, or zoom in to lay down accurate fire. I have no personal problems with the accuracy of the shots, I like my rifle shooting where I place my sights, what I would like to see though is the subtraction times increased.

Currently players can run up at quick speeds, and quickly hit crouch to collapse the crosshair to a near pin-point shot, this means that without zooming in players can quickly and instantly engage targets with a rifle, even after having ran or sprint a long distance. I would like to see the subtraction rate on the move deviation decreased, so that when players crouch or stop, they have to, if I will go so boldly, "catch their breath" to lay down accurate fire. This would prevent people from running into open areas, knowing them can quickly crouch to engage targets, and instead would encourage them to move from cover to cover instead, knowing that as they stop, they wont be able to lay down fire immediately. In addition the lowered subtraction rate on the rifles would allow iron sights to take more precedence over unzoomed fire. Players would find that zooming in would give them a better chance of hitting their targets quickly, but for that accuracy they sacrifice their movement speed, and thus players will get behind cover and utilize their iron sights before just randomly pulling the trigger.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 13-04-2011, 20:04:51 »

Nobody said that deviation was a realistic representation of ballistics, what deviation does give you however is the ability to tailor weapons to specific roles, and to control the ways in which players fight.

One of the most shining examples of deviations glory is the current misc deviation added when jumping and going prone. That single change has damn near eradicated the dolphin diving problem in the game.

Deviation is used when players are moving to make their shots less accurate, forcing them to stop, or zoom in to lay down accurate fire. I have no personal problems with the accuracy of the shots, I like my rifle shooting where I place my sights, what I would like to see though is the subtraction times increased.

Currently players can run up at quick speeds, and quickly hit crouch to collapse the crosshair to a near pin-point shot, this means that without zooming in players can quickly and instantly engage targets with a rifle, even after having ran or sprint a long distance. I would like to see the subtraction rate on the move deviation decreased, so that when players crouch or stop, they have to, if I will go so boldly, "catch their breath" to lay down accurate fire. This would prevent people from running into open areas, knowing them can quickly crouch to engage targets, and instead would encourage them to move from cover to cover instead, knowing that as they stop, they wont be able to lay down fire immediately. In addition the lowered subtraction rate on the rifles would allow iron sights to take more precedence over unzoomed fire. Players would find that zooming in would give them a better chance of hitting their targets quickly, but for that accuracy they sacrifice their movement speed, and thus players will get behind cover and utilize their iron sights before just randomly pulling the trigger.

I'd rather have the crosshairs removed... much simpler... with nearly the same result...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 13-04-2011, 23:04:01 »

I'd rather have the crosshairs removed... much simpler... with nearly the same result...

And id agree with you, if there wasn't a hundred people who everytime you mention removing cross hairs, use the excuses such as:

"There is a natural sense of where your aiming in real life, bla bla"

and

"There will be people taping things to there screens!"

I've had this debate a hundred times...always the same thing.

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 14-04-2011, 23:04:48 »
I would like to see the subtraction rate on the move deviation decreased, so that when players crouch or stop, they have to, if I will go so boldly, "catch their breath" to lay down accurate fire. This would prevent people from running into open areas, knowing them can quickly crouch to engage targets, and instead would encourage them to move from cover to cover instead, knowing that as they stop, they wont be able to lay down fire immediately.

You summed it up nicely, but I disagree with the subtraction time. Running over open fields in FH2 is near suicide. Higher subtraction time results in attackers being even more disadvantaged then they already are. On PHL for example, if you manage to spot a camper 150m away, crouch, aim in, and hit him, BEFORE he kills you, you deserve the kill.

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 15-04-2011, 00:04:11 »
I would like to see the subtraction rate on the move deviation decreased, so that when players crouch or stop, they have to, if I will go so boldly, "catch their breath" to lay down accurate fire. This would prevent people from running into open areas, knowing them can quickly crouch to engage targets, and instead would encourage them to move from cover to cover instead, knowing that as they stop, they wont be able to lay down fire immediately.

You summed it up nicely, but I disagree with the subtraction time. Running over open fields in FH2 is near suicide. Higher subtraction time results in attackers being even more disadvantaged then they already are. On PHL for example, if you manage to spot a camper 150m away, crouch, aim in, and hit him, BEFORE he kills you, you deserve the kill.

Well sure you do, but why were you running at full sprint when you saw the defender instead of maneuvering with your team? If anything you should've seen that defender at 150 meters because he was part of his squad, and you part of yours, and the two squads became engaged in a long range firefight. Not simply because one player happened to spot a tiny black pixel on his screen that happened to be an enemy.

Making that choice to advance swiftly should be a calculated decision, not, as is now, a simplistic decision based on reenacting your favorite scene from a World War 2 movie where you dodge all the bullets and tracers and successfully take the flag all by yourself. People are currently not punished for their constant flooding of flags, people run towards a flag, die, spawn, and repeat the process.

FH2 is missing a sense of punishment for just blindly advancing yourself in a direction. Purple Heart Lane 32 is a perfect example of this, because the allied team has to cross an open field at the very beginning of the map, however players on that map will never think to throw smoke grenades, or to cover each other on the advance, they'll simply run across the field, die, and respawn to repeat the process, costing the allied team tickets.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 21-04-2011, 01:04:10 »
There is no fun in unrealistic instagib-rifle-accuracy imho.
What would you change? We cannot add weapon sway like Red Orchestra have. The best we can do would be to increase the size of the cone of fire on the rifles, so that there's a degree of luck involved in hitting your target. Would that be a better option?

huge deviation when jumping  and slowly recover from that deviation should to the trick IMHO.

in FH42, after you jumped it took 2 seconds at least to gain full aim, in FH2 it just takes you half a second, just by rightclicking.

Offline Galslacht

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 22-04-2011, 20:04:59 »
There is no fun in unrealistic instagib-rifle-accuracy imho.
What would you change? We cannot add weapon sway like Red Orchestra have. The best we can do would be to increase the size of the cone of fire on the rifles, so that there's a degree of luck involved in hitting your target. Would that be a better option?

huge deviation when jumping  and slowly recover from that deviation should to the trick IMHO.

in FH42, after you jumped it took 2 seconds at least to gain full aim, in FH2 it just takes you half a second, just by rightclicking.

Yea, that might be a good solution on the road for more suspense and realism!

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 17-05-2011, 18:05:23 »
Just for fun, here's the ironsights you all never got to see, from before 2.2.
Note on the StG44, the bolt is a seperated texture so that it would move when fired.
But then due to the amount of semi weapons, we found it looked much better with 3D ironsights and just went with those instead.
I don't think that greasegun sight was final, hole seems a bit small.

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 20-05-2011, 22:05:13 »
I dont know if this has been posted.

The bren needs more sway when walking and aiming down the sight.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 30-05-2011, 13:05:33 »

What? Bren is way too inaccurate already!

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 02-06-2011, 11:06:38 »

What? Bren is way too inaccurate already!

Yes but its a LMG, not an smg.
LMGs are very heavy and you shouldnt be able to aim very accurate while walking or standing.
The bren mkII weighs 10 kg.........
Besides i find that when using the bren deployed its pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: 02-06-2011, 11:06:41 by Gunnerz »

Offline Gunnerz

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 02-06-2011, 11:06:07 »
Another thing is that you can aim most weapons while crawling, and that is not possible ofcourse.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 02-06-2011, 19:06:15 »
what archi has posted on his youtube videos look alot better then whats currently ingame for weapon sway, camera shaking, and sprinting animations
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #193 on: 02-06-2011, 21:06:21 »
Argh! Those 2d sights are so ugly next to the 3d counterparts!

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 03-06-2011, 23:06:55 »
bren was accurate when fired when walking.