Author Topic: Project Reality Online testing with 128/256/512 players  (Read 32168 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Project Reality Online testing with 128 players
« Reply #150 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:05 »
For one thing, unless squad size is changed, you'd have everyone who comes in after player number 105 having no squad and no way to be in one. There aren't enough squad names for 120 players. With bots, you get to ~105, and the rest don't get squads.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:58 »
12 man squads to you...Many pics and posts were about this

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:55 »
Everything you guys are talking about is purely hypothetical. Iirc in order to get a map to run well with more players, the amount of statics has to be reduced by quite a bit, thus making the only viable maps for >64players flat desert maps with no towns such as Gazala or El Al.

what are you referring to as hypothetical? Gotta try things first before you can say what is able to be played..
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:13 »
Do statics really affect the server? I think it wouldn't really mater if it was the same number as it is now i think lag would only be an effect in cqb were HUGE firefights erupt...

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:44 »
PR has already tested huge maps with forests and 2km city maps with 128 players, no lag so far unless you have all 128 players in sigth  :P

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:01 »
what are you referring to as hypothetical? Gotta try things first before you can say what is able to be played..

As fas as I have read till now this is a problem with the new setup.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:35 »
why are people being a bunch of negative nancy's?  why dont you all try being a positive polly for once.

Offline Maxa

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:06 »
I'm not so much fan of the idea of putting playersizes up in desert or city, but for maps that have a decent amount of cover and open spaces like St. Lo. Breakthrough it could probably work very well.
Now, it's another story if the maps would be first modified, just adding infantry to desert/small city maps would be a slaughter

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:22 »
Because we prefer to kick our tyres before we set off  - just so they don't fly out from under our car when we are doing 65m/h  8)

But I for one, am thoroughly excited about this. And for the first time, I will agree, this will play better with humans than bots. I've done 120 bots before, I know.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 27-01-2011, 15:01:38 »
Because we prefer to kick our tyres before we set off  - just so they don't fly out from under our car when we are doing 65m/h  8)

But I for one, am thoroughly excited about this. And for the first time, I will agree, this will play better with humans than bots. I've done 120 bots before, I know.

Thats the Spirit!   ;D  they also seem to be playign Ramiel which is a city map isnt it? im trying to get onto the god dam map and see how bad the lag is or what it could be with all those buildings i have a theory that it wont be so bad as you all think. ]

yes we are playing full vehicles insergency on a city map no issues.  no lag ..
« Last Edit: 27-01-2011, 16:01:52 by Neighbor Kid »

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 27-01-2011, 16:01:54 »
PR has already tested huge maps with forests and 2km city maps with 128 players, no lag so far unless you have all 128 players in sigth  :P

Yeah, I just played Ramiel (big 2x2km city map) on the 128 player server and all went fine. Ping was stable at 50. There was a tiny bit of server lag every now and them but I'm confident the devs can figure that out. It wasn't anything major anyway.

It was so bloody awesome...

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 27-01-2011, 16:01:22 »
so im going to say statics dont seem to be an issue N24.. considering we did just play a city map.  and it was fine.   and the story hit planetbattlefield.com... so im sure the news is spreading like wildfire.. doesnt seem to be an issue yet..
« Last Edit: 27-01-2011, 16:01:53 by Neighbor Kid »

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 27-01-2011, 16:01:45 »
I'm not so much fan of the idea of putting playersizes up in desert or city, but for maps that have a decent amount of cover and open spaces like St. Lo. Breakthrough it could probably work very well.
Now, it's another story if the maps would be first modified, just adding infantry to desert/small city maps would be a slaughter

wrong, what would be good is:

1. there would higher AT rifles-to-tanks ratio. Similarily for AT grenades whatever

2. Infantry landmines is the greatest threat to tanks, and you now have a lot more of them.

3. Tanks would be supported with more infantry. And hull-MG would be manned more frequent

4. Now there would be someone dedicated to arty spotting, less hurting by having one less combat infantry. (and often good spotters are good infantry)

5. You could afford to spend players flying planes and manning rear MG of stuka.

6. Overall, tanks, planes, trucks... would become much more important. As I am not expecting to have more of those in an expanded server. (the amount we see in FH2 is pretty good)

7. Maps like Cobra would benefit: currently it is possible that half of the US team is on tanks driving from main base, get killed, spawn, drive, get killed. And leaving no infantry to fight the dug-in Germans. And infantry is indeed the most important thing in the map: very often teams who want to win have only a handful of tanks fighting and the so-called tank advantage of US is not there at all.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 27-01-2011, 17:01:35 »
This could actually benefit glorious mod of FH2 population.
Seeing as there are two or three popular server, Hslan and the two 762'2 which can cater 64 people each.
Many people don't have to patience to fill a new one so they go do something else or hammer the servers untill they are connected. With two 80 player server I am betting they both would be filled. Meaning more players.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 27-01-2011, 17:01:53 »

wrong, what would be good is:

1. there would higher AT rifles-to-tanks ratio. Similarily for AT grenades whatever

2. Infantry landmines is the greatest threat to tanks, and you now have a lot more of them.

3. Tanks would be supported with more infantry. And hull-MG would be manned more frequent

4. Now there would be someone dedicated to arty spotting, less hurting by having one less combat infantry. (and often good spotters are good infantry)

5. You could afford to spend players flying planes and manning rear MG of stuka.

6. Overall, tanks, planes, trucks... would become much more important. As I am not expecting to have more of those in an expanded server. (the amount we see in FH2 is pretty good)

7. Maps like Cobra would benefit: currently it is possible that half of the US team is on tanks driving from main base, get killed, spawn, drive, get killed. And leaving no infantry to fight the dug-in Germans. And infantry is indeed the most important thing in the map: very often teams who want to win have only a handful of tanks fighting and the so-called tank advantage of US is not there at all.

+1

i would think perhaps an addition of maybe some vehicles would be needed such as transport and maybe a tank or two.. not like a tank destroyer. but a tank.. like a sherman 75 cromwell or panzer 4.

maps that would benifit from the number play rise would be the following with out expanding borders.. and this is only with 50 v50 not 64 v 64.. from a mini map view opinion  and by playing maps.
West front

Mount Olympus
Op Cobra
Op Totlaize
PDH
St. Lo
Villers - this one i would actually add a bit more tanks considering it was a major tank engagement with the tiger ace!

Africa

Bardia i think would be much more fun.
Crete big time
sidi rez- would be much more fun too  
Giarabub - even though i hate the map..
tobruk
Alam halfa
EL AL
Gazala
Mersa matruh
Adberdeen
mareth line

maps that would need revision/ expanded borders or altered in some form to go to 100 or better

Anctoville- i think it would work well with this map just has to be opend up a bit than what it i maybe another area to penetrate the town?
Tunis
Super charge
Hyacinth
Ramelle
PHL- i think just a bit more open not much
Luttich-
FAIL pocket
Battle Brest- hmm add on more buildings on a larger area?
Lebisey - just a bit more open not much needed imo
port en bessin this is in the air betwen open more up or leave as is.. it might be fine..
Sfakia- i think might needed to be opened

of course this would all need to be tested. but i think if someone figures it out.. a server should just test for a day starting on maps that are just infantry then you go to vehicles. then you keep going and try etc.. this is jsut from a perspective and from experience of playing the maps.. also having more infantry would perhaps open ideas for other weapons make a come back.. cough artillery batteries with heavy deviation COUGH lol..

and side note. WAW maps as some of us know that their maps are already opened up alot for example last campaign goodwood and totalized were opened up.. big maps.. 50 v 50 would be very useful over there. i woudl even go forward in say on those two maps 64 on 64 would be good. opened up maps of course and those numbers in a squad would be fine considering they already got it up to 12 its all how you look at it.

« Last Edit: 27-01-2011, 17:01:14 by Neighbor Kid »