Author Topic: Project Reality Online testing with 128/256/512 players  (Read 32270 times)

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
Re: Project Reality Online testing with 128 players
« Reply #105 on: 27-01-2011, 00:01:05 »
I seriously doubt there was much .exe hacking here, every hotfix was server side, which tells me that there is a much simpler answer to all of this

The bf2_w32ded.exe I am guessing, not the BF2.exe. Which would just affect the server.

what do you think woudl be the FH dev teams stand point though?

Most FH2 maps wouldn't work with 128 players. Some of our maps don't even work well with 64 players, as they were beta tested with about 40 (Tunis, for example).
So no, we are not considering it at the moment.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 27-01-2011, 00:01:53 »
I seriously doubt there was much .exe hacking here, every hotfix was server side, which tells me that there is a much simpler answer to all of this

The bf2_w32ded.exe I am guessing, not the BF2.exe. Which would just affect the server.

what do you think woudl be the FH dev teams stand point though?

Most FH2 maps wouldn't work with 128 players. Some of our maps don't even work well with 64 players, as they were beta tested with about 40 (Tunis, for example).
So no, we are not considering it at the moment.

slightly disheartening
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 27-01-2011, 00:01:09 »
Whats wrong matie, you planning to stop playing tomorrow?  ;)

I for one find this extremely cool, and a positive turn in my search for atleast 64 player games. PR is a game i play once or twice in a week, sometimes its takes a little longer. This new config has not only only created intereting scenarios for the future, but also the good ol modding vibe :).

Edit:

no, but perhaps it would attract more players attention

im sure, in the near future devs will have to respond on the infinite amounts of requests adding this little thing.
« Last Edit: 27-01-2011, 01:01:25 by Smiles »
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 27-01-2011, 01:01:22 »
Whats wrong matie, you planning to stop playing tomorrow?  ;)

I for one find this extremely cool, and a positive turn in my search for atleast 64 player games. PR is a game i play once or twice in a week, sometimes its takes a little longer. This new config has not only only created intereting scenarios for the future, but also the good ol modding vibe :).

no, but perhaps it would attract more players attention... considering. that our numbers as a community are rather low.. not many NA players.. which sucks cause i hate playing on HSLAN or 762..
« Last Edit: 27-01-2011, 01:01:13 by Neighbor Kid »

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 27-01-2011, 01:01:19 »
Just got off of a 128 player PR server and it was awesome! That many people works really well on some of PR's massive maps.

I'm not for 128 players in FH2, but I would support 80-100 players for some of FH2's really big maps that feel rather empty like El Alamein, Cobra, or Sidi Mufta.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline samnadine

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor
« Reply #110 on: 27-01-2011, 01:01:54 »
I read a lot of skeptic people saying that it wouldn't work in FH2..

Maybe in small maps no, of course, but in PR they don't play small maps either in that server lol. FH2 devs should just make HUGE maps for it. Saying it's useless is just being one that says cell phones are not needed. Well, you don't need it but the experience is way better. 8 man squads in huge battles. Why not?

Congratz to PR

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 27-01-2011, 01:01:56 »
Not only the maps are the problem, but also the general gameplay. Some maps dont play well with 64 players and i wont expect maps working excellent with 128 without a major change on general gameplay on all these maps.

If lets say, Totalize gets 128 players, then the whole equipment must be modified, more tanks, more airplanes or, nothing, cant be done, a new map must be done to get 128 guys battles to FIT in the mod.

But i wont give up, Eastern Front is fresh, its over there waiting to be released, growing up every single day, and i will expect two or more 64v64 Battles in it, because Eastern Front is mostly all about massive battles, epi combined arms battles!

Not only that but also the Pacific! Jesus, imagine a 64v64 Battle in Iwo Jima, with 64 Defenders dug in and another 64 storming the beaches while some mans the Ships guns.. -intense naval support-, i mean INTENSE, not just one battleship and one destroyer like in BF42, here in FH2 it'll be 1 Battleship and 3 DDs, i mean IT WILL BE FUCKING AMAZING.

Or a truly fucking epic battle of britain, with many Pilots and some taking part of the Anti Air duties... wow, i came. I must leave
« Last Edit: 27-01-2011, 01:01:42 by Torenico »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 27-01-2011, 01:01:22 »
imagine 64 americans storming omaha ^^

Offline Guderian

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 27-01-2011, 01:01:38 »
I am in the process of making a 1024x2 map and adding another 36 players (total 100: 50 per team) would make the battle extremely intense. Not for every map due to design limitations, but rest assured I would be the first to endorse the increased player count!

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 27-01-2011, 01:01:45 »
I am in the process of making a 1024x2 map and adding another 36 players (total 100: 50 per team) would make the battle extremely intense. Not for every map due to design limitations, but rest assured I would be the first to endorse the increased player count!

yes!!!!!!! WOOT!.. also 100 players for many maps wouldnt be that bad.. yes some maps of course it wouldnt work at a.. and loadout and stuff like planes and tanks.. that not an issue IMO its teh size of the map.. which you remove the outa bounds areas and put them further out maps in our WAW playing such as totalize the out of bounds are opened up for us and that map is not small it would easily fit 100 players just fine.

column of shermans vs.. tiger.. game over shermans..

azreal

« Reply #115 on: 27-01-2011, 01:01:57 »
ok, just calm down a bit Neighbor Kid. This has been only the 1st day of testing. There are still many things to work out if this was ever implemented in FH2, plus we'd need to see what EA's reaction is.

But I will let you in on a little secret that Kev told me; this is mostly a server-side hack, so if it gets out, we'll see it on FH2/vBF2 servers regardless.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 27-01-2011, 02:01:30 »
ok, just calm down a bit Neighbor Kid. This has been only the 1st day of testing. There are still many things to work out if this was ever implemented in FH2, plus we'd need to see what EA's reaction is.

But I will let you in on a little secret that Kev told me; this is mostly a server-side hack, so if it gets out, we'll see it on FH2/vBF2 servers regardless.

I CANT CALM DOWN!!!! ARE YOU.......INSA...NE.....* Heart attack... *thud..

actually more like this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhmKxa_FMkU&feature=related

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 27-01-2011, 02:01:25 »
Not only the maps are the problem, but also the general gameplay. Some maps dont play well with 64 players and i wont expect maps working excellent with 128 without a major change on general gameplay on all these maps.

If lets say, Totalize gets 128 players, then the whole equipment must be modified, more tanks, more airplanes or, nothing, cant be done, a new map must be done to get 128 guys battles to FIT in the mod.

A little bit more tanks and more planes, but not that much... The majority of the newcomers would reinforce the infantery, which is under represented in FH2 ...

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 27-01-2011, 02:01:10 »
two 128/128 servers is better than two 64/64.  Would be really interesting to see.  Especially with some maps more tailored to it.  Larger Totalize. El Alamein, Cobra

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #119 on: 27-01-2011, 02:01:03 »
Judging from experience with size 16 maps, I'd say that maps could play pretty well without changes up to about 150% players (22, 48 and 96).  Even if the increased player numbers never finds much use in FH2, I hope that the squad size cap can be increased.

I'll guess that the news will have hit most places in the BF2 community within a few days, and that will be when DICE/EA have their say in the matter.  Chances are they will ignore it provided it is kept off of ranked vBF2 servers, but I reckon that if this is implemented by 'funny business', they'll come down like a ton of bricks.