Author Topic: Wings of Prey  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
Wings of Prey
« on: 08-01-2010, 19:01:54 »
http://www.airwargame.com/eng

Anyone know anything about it? It looks nice but is it a second IL2?

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
Re: Wings of Prey
« Reply #1 on: 08-01-2010, 19:01:56 »
http://www.airwargame.com/eng

Anyone know anything about it? It looks nice but is it a second IL2?

Its another IL2, good eye candy but the game is a joke. Seems more like a shooter than a combat simulation. SP its stupid too; you can only play missions as the allies and just with the americans, british and russians; and no more other nation. Game dont have mods, and the multiplayer is dumb. The original its still superior to this one.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-01-2010, 19:01:57 »
Il2 Kicks this little guy ass so hard, you can even feel it.

GFX is awesome anyways.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-01-2010, 19:01:36 »
I wouldnt call it a new IL2, the game is way more arcade, as it is the PC version of the console Birds of prey (ps3) it looks beautifull and so one though. (i will deff buy it and try.)

the countries are USA(4 planes), Britain(5planes), Germany(21 planes), Russia(13 planes) and Italy(1 plane)
the IL2 sequel is Storm of War: Battle of Britain.

Offline Kading

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-01-2010, 20:01:21 »
intolerable plane selection for anything outside of germany and the USSR. and even then *shakes head*. yah, she's a pretty girl, but she has no substance.
Break your picks and crack your spades! Dig deep if you want to live!

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #5 on: 08-01-2010, 20:01:03 »
Looks sweet if you fap to dreams of being a ww2 fighter ace...

;D

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-01-2010, 20:01:52 »
german bias ::)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-01-2010, 20:01:19 »
Storm of War: Battle of Britain looks more promising; and this is the real spiritual succesor to IL2.

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #8 on: 08-01-2010, 21:01:35 »
Yeah, I've had a more of a look at screenshots etc and might try the demo (http://yuplay.com/story.php?title=Wings-Prey--demo-version) but there are definitely historical inaccuracies in their planes.

btw I know this is in no way a sequel to Il-2 - I just thought it might have been offering a similar game experience but with updated graphics.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-01-2010, 21:01:03 »
I played the demo for the 360 a while back. I really liked it actually, and it was way more arcadey than IL-2. But having tried IL-2 (which was TOO realistic for my taste) I liked it a lot, a good balance between realism and arcade for me.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-01-2010, 22:01:51 »
I heard from a friend who also played it on 360 you can select between Arcade Mode and Simulation..

Donwloading Demo, graphics are way too cool to let them go.. :P

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-01-2010, 00:01:49 »
I've played IL-2: Birds of Prey "through" (ie. completed the SP campaign & most of the SP missions) on X360.

If you're looking for a shoot'em up, play it on Arcade mode. Fun for a while, but only if you found it in a bargain bin.

If you're looking for a simulation on a console and try the Realistic or Simulation mode, even using a flightstick, it sucks balls. Don't even think of playing either of these modes with a joypad.

Why does BoP suck? Because the amount of the enemies and the way the missions are setup are balanced for the Arcade mode, where eg. a P-51 can outturn anything and all enemies die from a single shot. Add realistic physics, several FW190D's chasing you while you should be promptly killing lots of really tough ground targets, and it is not be so funny anymore. I won't even start on the end missions where you have to dogfight Me 262s with an IL-10. Also, more often than not your wingmen are only good for being ablative armour, and your tailgunner (if any) doesn't shoot anything, you have to fire the gun yourself - fortunately it has "magic bullets" even in Simulation mode that kill almost anything with a couple of shots.

Also, you can't play as Axis except in multiplayer. Last time I checked, the Axis planes even lacked cockpits. Also, the SP campaign is over very soon, even though the missions are ridiculously long and involve you killing dozens of targets. End titles speak about ten battles, what you get is six. SP missions are just gimmicks, and won't keep you occupied for long. The amount of planes is not that big and many "important" planes are missing or must be bought as DLC.

For PC users, the updated graphics would not be reason enough to buy (or even download) BoP/WoP, since everything else is worse in it. In the IL-2 proper you can ease the physics until it's almost as easy, but once you learn to fly it keeps fun even though you turn realistic features on. Plus the IL-2 proper offers much more gameplay out of the box (especially the 1946 collection) and it has almost unlimited free content available, which should keep you occupied until the Storm of War: Battle of Britain hits the shelves.

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #12 on: 09-01-2010, 01:01:44 »
So Wings of Prey is the PC version of Birds of Prey? It's not even by 1C...