Author Topic: The Great Football thread  (Read 112089 times)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Football thread
« Reply #1935 on: 03-07-2016, 16:07:49 »
Italy brilliantly manages yet again to kill the fun of football.

How so?.

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: 04-07-2016, 03:07:07 »
All the teams I was supporting lost. I think I will have a DNA test to prove that Mick Jagger is my father.

The penalties yesterday were the most f'ed up moment of the match. I thought I was watching a rugby match. Last time I've seen so many players missing at penalties was at Boca Juniors match at Libertadores.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: 04-07-2016, 05:07:51 »
Sad, but that win is definitely for Germany. Italy's attack is uncoordinated and relies on individual skill and German's mistakes at best. Buffon did guessed many shots correctly, but sadly he is too old to reach many of them.

Now congrats French! Show the English how to play against "minnows". The ousting of Belgium from the tournament is quite the same. Too many EPL celebrities. You can't win on reputation, says Wales and Iceland.
« Last Edit: 04-07-2016, 06:07:39 by Zoologic »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: 06-07-2016, 00:07:02 »
The Argentina team is in deep shit.

The third consecutive loss in a final did hit us pretty hard. Messi said he will leave, but that is most likely not true because he still has Russia 2018.

Martino left today, he just can't field a proper team for the Rio Olympics. The "big names" will not be coming, Dybala for example, Juventus doesn't want to give it to the national team, for example, while other players, mostly from the domestic league, are not coming in because their clubs are following Juventus' example.

But the chaos is not over, AFA is literally dead. Several clubs, including 4 of the 5 "Big Clubs", left AFA to start their own league, "Super Liga". Maradona himself was sent here to "oversee" and "report" to FIFA directly. AFA is a mess, a total mess. It was the home of another dictator, Julio Grondona, who used to be FIFA's Vice-President from 1988 to 2014, under João Havelange and Blatter. He ruled AFA for 1979 until his Death, in 2014. Well known for being friendly with literally every government, but he is more popular for being a dictator in the World of Football and being extremely corrupt.

AFA was left leaderless when he died, there are several people who are hard-line Grondonistas. One of them is Luis Segura, who was "the President of AFA" but resigned a week ago. AFA held elections last year, and it was a total mess. There were 75 people who could vote for Segura or TV Star and Vice President of San Lorenzo Mercelo Tinelli, however, the elections ended in a impossible 38 votes for each candidate, and from then on, it exploded into pieces.

Now it's a mess, it literally doesn't exist anymore. FIFA could be considering "kicking" AFA out of FIFA for not being stable enough, which puts Argentina in great danger of losing their spot in Russia 2018. Messi complained about AFA during the Copa America, which sparked some controversy. After he decided to leave the National Team, nobody wanted to follow or help Martino for the Olympics, so we might lose our place to Uruguay. Now, without coach, without AFA, without President...

Here's a good article about it:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2016/07/05/25358182/no-president-no-coach-no-messi-argentine-football-is-in?ICID=HP_HN_HP_RI_0_3

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: 06-07-2016, 05:07:30 »
Welcome to Indonesia 6 years ago.

Our stupid politicians do interfere though and we got ejected by FIFA. Take 4 years to calm things down. Now we have no league, just random tournaments to keep them occupied. Our main tournament models after MLS' East-West conference.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: 10-07-2016, 23:07:27 »
Yeah! Take that France! After pluckily defeated the Germans. Now they tasted their own medicine.

Congratulations to Portugal, a new European Champion.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: 10-07-2016, 23:07:50 »
Well that was a pretty underwhelming tournament, all said and done.  France hardly deserved to win the final but this Portugal team must be the least impressive to win since Greece in 2004, right?

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: 11-07-2016, 02:07:40 »
Well that was a pretty underwhelming tournament, all said and done.  France hardly deserved to win the final but this Portugal team must be the least impressive to win since Greece in 2004, right?

Oh god, Yes.

And there is this swarm of people calling Ronaldo the greatest ever, when he couldn't complete 30 minutes of the first half (literally he didn't exist in the finals) and had a average tournament in general.

So yeah, it's Greece 2.0, disgusting.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: 11-07-2016, 16:07:51 »
The cycle is 12 years indeed. Denmark in 1992 and Greece in 2004, then Portugal in 2016. It breaks French own 16 years championship cycle (1984 and 2000).

France is like World Cup 2014's Brazil, a media darling. I kinda admired them, but they don't deserve the win against Germany. They were just lucky. Schweini shouldn't superman punch that ball, and what the hell is Hoewedes and Emre Can doing? The French were lucky enough they could caught them ill-disciplined and mishandled the ball on the penalty box area. I wasn't convinced by the play they showed against Germany, that they could handle the Portugal that beat Wales. Even going against Portugal minus Ronaldo, they can't even cut it. It almost beyond the bookmaker's dirty plays that Éder could escape that one defender.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: 11-07-2016, 20:07:12 »
If anybody ever told me that Eder would score the winning goal in a tournament before yesterday, I would hit them so hard in the throat that they vomited out their own Adam's apple.  Truly it was a moment that will live on for Edernity.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: 29-11-2016, 23:11:39 »
The plane that was carrying Brazilian team Chapecoense to face Nacional in Medellín, Colombia, ahead of the first leg of the Copa Sudamericana Final..., crashed leaving all but three players dead, two crew members and one journalist also survived but some are in critical condition. Just 5km away from the City, Chape's dreams ended in the worst way possible.

Chapecoense is a relatively small team in Brazil, not particularly popular. They gained attention after having an amazing run in the Copa Sudamericana (South American version of the Europa League, for context) by eliminating seven times Copa Libertadores Champions Independiente and San Lorenzo, tough clubs to face in such cup. They were going to face Nacional de Medellín (Copa Libertadores Champions) in Colombia...

They join Torino's four-times Scudetti champions squad who all died in 1949 (which Torino never really fully recovered), the Busby Babes of Manchester United who died in 1958 and the Zambia National Football Team of 1994 African Cup of Nations who died in a plane crash.

"If I should die today, I would be happy", Caio Junior, coach of the Chapecoense team said that when departing for Santa Cruz, Bolivia, before heading for Medellín...

RIP

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: 01-12-2016, 02:12:19 »
The plane that was carrying Brazilian team Chapecoense to face Nacional in Medellín, Colombia, ahead of the first leg of the Copa Sudamericana Final..., crashed leaving all but three players dead, two crew members and one journalist also survived but some are in critical condition. Just 5km away from the City, Chape's dreams ended in the worst way possible.

Chapecoense is a relatively small team in Brazil, not particularly popular. They gained attention after having an amazing run in the Copa Sudamericana (South American version of the Europa League, for context) by eliminating seven times Copa Libertadores Champions Independiente and San Lorenzo, tough clubs to face in such cup. They were going to face Nacional de Medellín (Copa Libertadores Champions) in Colombia...

They join Torino's four-times Scudetti champions squad who all died in 1949 (which Torino never really fully recovered), the Busby Babes of Manchester United who died in 1958 and the Zambia National Football Team of 1994 African Cup of Nations who died in a plane crash.

"If I should die today, I would be happy", Caio Junior, coach of the Chapecoense team said that when departing for Santa Cruz, Bolivia, before heading for Medellín...

RIP

Heard someone commenting about a plane accident yesterday,but I thought it was something old. Just when I managed to take a look at my cellphone I realized that the plane carrying the entire Chapecoense team had crashed. It's really bad,they were finally at their apogee,probably the farthest they have ever reached,and that thing happened... IDK what will be of the Sudamericana title,if it will really go to Chapecoense as Atlético Nacional abdicated from it,but nobody knows what Conmebol will do.

Right now there's a large tribute happening at Medellin's stadium,were they would be playing tonight.
May the passengers rest in peace and Chapecoense have a fast recovery. Força Chape!