Author Topic: Travel destination: Alanya, Turkey  (Read 2093 times)

Biiviz

Travel destination: Alanya, Turkey
« on: 30-03-2009, 19:03:02 »
Hey all.

I'm going on a trip to Alanya, Turkey from 04.04-12.04 (that's DD:MM). Is there anything special I should know about Alanya or Turkey in general?

Like, is it illegal to be drunk/to drink in public, and is this commonly enforced?

Is Turkey known for any awesome food (except from kebab and pizza ::))?

More importantly, has anyone here ever been to Turkey or have friends who have?

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
Re: Travel destination: Alanya, Turkey
« Reply #1 on: 30-03-2009, 20:03:21 »
Yes, I have been to Alanya with friends in 2004. My hotel was about 25kms away, but I spend a day in Alanya.
Can't tell much about the city though. Has a nice, distinct mediterranean feeling to it, there are some nice small shops where you can buy food relatively cheap. There's an old castle above the city which is afaik very interesting, but we couldn't get to visit it; there is a shuttle service up to the castle and back which starts at the bottom of that mountain, right at the beach, which is quite nice.
Transportation, if you want to leave the city, is quite easy; it's at a highway and small autobusses travel it in both ways. If you want to ride with it, just stand at the side of the road and wave, they will stop and pick you up if they have space left, but you should ask whether they go the right way. They are quite cheap, although.
Hm what else can I tell you? A lot of people don't speak english, but it usually isn't a problem to communicate with hands and feet for the usual business.
I didn't get around the area much though; I went there a short time after I finished the school and all those exams, and it was more a chillout holiday; the hotel personal, though all turkish, usually spoke german during the animation stuff etc., the hotel was nice and clean. The beaches are ok, sometimes you have some nice rocks near the beach where you can go snorkeling. You will see some waste lying at the bottom of the water once you get a bit away from the beach where the water is ~2m's, but there is some interesting stuff to see, a lot of fish, we saw some small octopus etc. Oh, and I found a handful of rubles.
Speaking of those, be ready for the tourists. They are mostly german - a lot of german emigrants live in Alanya, too -, and a big deal of salesmen etc. speak german as good as english or probably even better, because often their families live in germany; and after that come (upper middle-class) russians. The ones we met were ok, though I heard they go rampage in some hotels, but that happens with many tourists I guess.
And be advised - "going through the city", especially shopping, works a bit different in the eastern medditerranean area. When you go through the shopping miles, usually the salesmen will come out of their shops and start talking to you to look at their stuff. It's refreshing, but can get annoying, because you often can't walk 30 seconds without being spoken to. They sell a lot rip-offs of western brands there, to horrible prices, but you have to have the nuts to bargain with them. Take your time for that, it's worth it. I bought a soccer trikot with a friend; the guy wanted 65€ per tricot, in the end we both took one for 23€ each. Feel free to say it's too expansive and turn around to leave, this is part of the mission. And the quality of that stuff often isn't that bad: I guessed the tricot would be wasted in a year - like the ones you often get to buy in Italy -, but I still have it, and it has not one loose strand and not one imprint faded out and not one rubber attachment fell of. I bought a leather wallet, it is still in great condition although I have used it every day for the last ~1700 days.

I hope this helps you! That's all I come to think of now, if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-03-2009, 21:03:25 »
Never take Stones with you back home! they dont like that. you get in Prison!! Seriously!

Biiviz

« Reply #3 on: 30-03-2009, 21:03:19 »
Thank you Schneider, that was very informative. Getting reviews from people you know (well, kinda :P) is alot better than what you find on wikipedia.

Yeah, I was in Italy last year and there were alot of Africans who kept running up to you trying to sell fake watches, handbags etc. They did the same bargaining thing as you mentioned. One tried to sell a fake Rolex to a friend for 120€, after a couple of minutes it was his for 15€ :) A real Rolex (a cheap one) costs ca. 3500€.

About the tourist sites like the castle, well, I'm not sure how many of those I'll be seeing, this is more of a drinking trip. :) I think I'll spend most of the time on the beach/in the bars. Btw, Ihope English has become more common in the last 5 years, as my German vocabulary isn't that good. :P

...and wtf Toddel? :D

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-03-2009, 21:03:33 »
they have strong laws against tourist stealing vintage Stones. its serious!

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-03-2009, 21:03:52 »
He's absolutely right. It actually is about bringing cultural values, i.e. artifacts, out of the country. Yet, even if they at the airport checks have the slightest suspicion of a harmless stone being an artifact, that can get you in serious, serious trouble.
(Oh, and don't check out on british girls, even if they want to. That gets you in serious trouble either.)
And I don't think you will have much problems with english in Alanya.
I don't think, either, public drinking will be a problem. The turkey, in the tourist areas especially, is actually a quite secular country, and they quite constrained to tourism there, so they wont get you into trouble.

Oh yeah, great story, I just recall it from my hotel.
I guess it was a russian guy - he drank heavily at the hotel-owned beach part and fell asleep, at 40°C in the sun. He sure lay there for some hours, because when we some him, his back looked like an open wound, red, opened up, full of sand. Some one called in the turkish police, so what did they do?
The two policemen woke him up, each one grabbed an arm, and they brought him where?
Well, to the pool bar of course! Where he drank another beer (in the burning sun, his back - what was left of it - turned towards the sun of course) and then he jumped into the pool. With his bathing shoes and his cap of course. God that was funny/disgusting/hurt from looking.

And another advice, if you do something like a boat tour there with a small boat - don't eat their food. That's what the tourist info manager told us at a champagne reception. It has happened in the past that people spend their whole holidays in their hotel rooms with food poisoning.

Biiviz

« Reply #6 on: 30-03-2009, 22:03:21 »
Heh, silly Turks and their rocks. :P I'll inform my friends about that one. And Schneider, I'm guessing you have some juicy story about those British women as well? ;)

About the food poisoning, I have already taken vaccine against Hepatitis A & B just in case. I guess there are more diseases and stuff I could get from food and... other activites, but I'll just have to make sure I know what I'm doing at all times (says the guy who jumped out of a moving car once ;D).

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-03-2009, 22:03:22 »
And Schneider, I'm guessing you have some juicy story about those British women as well? ;)

Aw naw, but if I had so, I would have been killed.
Because my girlfriend was with me in that vacation and would've drowned my in the pool.
Nah that was ironical, because a german boy was in prison there for one year after he had sexual contact with a british teen, which in the aftermath (after her parents found out..) claimed he had raped her.

Biiviz

« Reply #8 on: 30-03-2009, 23:03:17 »
Poor guy never had a chance. :/

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31-03-2009, 19:03:50 »
I've been three times and every time was amazing. The Turks are genuinely nice people who like to have a laugh, and they're all football mad. They do have a thing for chatting up the women, though. Having said that, they can tell when a woman is single or in a relationship so they don't usually try it on when they know they have a husband or boyfriend.

I'd recommend just sticking to the culture and the history...the shopping isn't so great.

Word of warning - Turkey is just one of those places were you can pick up food poisoning easily, so be careful. It's not down to hygiene, but the way the food is prepared. Try to stay away from rice and for the most part, salad. Contrary to popular belief, the local food won't get you ill. It's not down to eating food you're not used to, it's all about the preparation. The water they wash rice and salad in can get you quite sick, because it isn't treated to how we are used to.

From experience, I went with my girlfriend for a week and she was sick for three days. I ate all kinds of local foods with spices, meats etc. I'd never had before and didn't get at all sick. She ate a lot of rice and turned ill like there's no tomorrow.

Just use your head when it comes to the food and you'll be alright. Turkish food is different, I'll say that much, but it is excellent. They make amazing pizzas...and try a Turkish breakfast.

Turkish wine is a bit crap (actually it's Godawful), but their beers are great.

I forgot to say, if you do go shopping - barter! When you ask a price, the first time round it will be extremely high. Haggle them down to at least half, and you can actually go further. If they won't give in, walk away. Two reasons: there is always, always another shop selling the same stuff, but half the time the guy will chase after you and accept. You won't be ripping them off, because what they ask for initially is always a make-believe value. You'll have good fun doing it, to them it's all part of the trade and they'll have a laugh with you.

Talk to the Turks though. They like people from different countries and they'll always try and talk to you about things. You'd be surprised how good their english is sometimes.

I don't think the Turks like you leaving the country with YTL (the currency - Yeni Türk Lirasi), so try to spend what you have of it before you leave, even in the airport.

Turkey is a brilliant place to have a break. Granted you will have a good time mate.
« Last Edit: 31-03-2009, 20:03:35 by NoCoolOnesLeft »

Biiviz

« Reply #10 on: 31-03-2009, 20:03:57 »
Thanks for the advice, I'll think about what I eat. I hope they have the same huge steaks they had in Italy when I was there. Huge, bloody and tasty.

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31-03-2009, 22:03:13 »
That they do. Although Turkish meat tends to be either very tender or very well done.

I'd advise leaving the hotel and going into the nearest town to try the food. The restaurants are top-notch and the service is usually very good.