Author Topic: Eastern Front SP  (Read 1447 times)

Offline titsmcgee852

• View Profile
Eastern Front SP
« on: 22-10-2012, 08:10:05 »
Would it be possible for there to be one or two of the new Eastern Front navmeshed on release for those of us who can't play online for various reasons?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Front SP
« Reply #1 on: 22-10-2012, 10:10:55 »
It depends on a number of things:
1. How many Eastern Front maps will be in the next patch if any - Its tough navmeshing all release maps
2. When the map design is finalized and testing begins to simply iron out gameplay - Until this stage, we dare not touch the map for SP, or it might change and render all our work useless.

But ultimately, that's the plan. I too would love to see those lovely tank battles and rocket batteries going off the way only SP affords  ;)

EDIT: For what it's worth. Maps from 2.45 are all meshed now, and play beautifully. So we DO make progress.
Its just not been as easy as we'd hoped it would be.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-10-2012, 11:10:08 »
So we might have St. Vith and Sidi bou Zid now?  :D

That is a good news!

But what djinn said is true. Maps during its early stage are constantly changed due to efforts of bug cleansing, gameplay, balancing, and aesthetic reasons. Thus if SP layers aren't suited into the changes, you'll got different SP and MP versions of the same map. For example, back in FH2.2, Operation Luettich features M10 Wolverine in SP map, but in MP version, it is Sherman 76 mm.

Also, you need to properly code each individual vehicles, emplacements, and objects instances to be usable by bots. At this point not know whether all eastern front stuffs are pre-coded by the coder/porter/ modeller. If they are not coded for AI but featured in the SP map, your game will crash when you or a bot try to use that gun/emplacement/vehicle.

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-10-2012, 11:10:35 »
If they are not coded for AI but featured in the SP map, your game will crash when you or a bot try to use that gun/emplacement/vehicle.

If an object is not coded for AI
There is nothing to tell a bot,to use that object 
Therefore the game wont CTD
But it will CTD for a human

Note,one exception "may be" if the spawnpoint is set for bots to enter on spawn,on a non AI programmed object, (never tested the above)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-10-2012, 12:10:59 »
Yeah, its why I haven't released Sidi Bou Zid as yet.
The M5 gun-truck has that and WILL CTD.

Keren 2.4 has something that causes it later ingame too. Its been solved by Ballard44, but we might not be able to release both the meshes and the patches before 2.4x, so I don't want to promise anything, but I'm trying to get the maps out sooner rather than later.

Don't ask, don't prompt... We'll see.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-10-2012, 13:10:57 »
Some Eastfront maps in SP could be good, since I play more SP than MP, but I'll leave it to the SP devs.  :)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-10-2012, 19:10:19 »
If they are not coded for AI but featured in the SP map, your game will crash when you or a bot try to use that gun/emplacement/vehicle.

If an object is not coded for AI
There is nothing to tell a bot,to use that object 
Therefore the game wont CTD
But it will CTD for a human

Note,one exception "may be" if the spawnpoint is set for bots to enter on spawn,on a non AI programmed object, (never tested the above)

I am not sure, but I never witness bots entering non-AI coded objects either. So, will the bots avoid it/unable to enter/use it, or just enter/use and got stuck there, or actually cause a CTD when doing so? I just assumed that the maps crash randomly because the bots do that (entering/using non AI objects), if it wasn't me (human player).

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-10-2012, 21:10:11 »
Yes, bots don't enter non-AI coded objects. But the problem is that the game crashes with a fatal error as soon as you, a human, attempt to enter these objects. I suspect, DICE made this because without that code bots don't know how to destroy an object (and you in it). As for random crashes, other things cause them, like bugs in pathfinding, strategies or existing AI code.

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-10-2012, 12:10:16 »
will the bots avoid it/unable to enter/use it, or just enter/use and got stuck there, or actually cause a CTD when doing so?

Bots dont have a brain,unlike most humans
So everything they do is controlled by AI files,AI behaviors,AI strategies,map AI strategies etc
If they dont have any code available,telling them to use an object
They simply wont use it

Neither a bot or human can enter/use a PCO which has no AI template,without a CTD (in single-player/co op)
If a hand-weapon doesn't have an AI Template,bots wont use it,but humans can without a CTD (in single-player/co op)

For bots,map priorities generally override most other available tasks
A classic example is bots walking right past an empty vehicle,regardless of how high its basic temp is (even as high as 1000) most noticeable at the start of a game
Bots prefer/attempt to finish their last given task,before moving on the next available task/order