Author Topic: [FIX] Alt-Tab leading to crash with BF 1.5 + FH 2.2  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
Hello guys,
although FH 2.2 is not released yet, this is a problem some of us experienced in the betatest since we switched to the BF2 1.5 patch. When minimizing the game via Alt-Tab, switching back into the game again will lead to a black screen ingame which cannot be dealt with except terminating the BF2.exe. This does not affect the game itself, but it is highly uncomfortable, as most of you may wish to minimize the game once in a while.
This mainly seems to affect players who use the new native widescreen support, and the causing factor is Anti-Aliasing.

EDIT: OFFICIAL HOTFIX, thanks Apo.

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=159969

----------------------------------------

Fix I. Press ESC to enter the menu before minimizing.
However, this only works for few people. You might give it a try, anyway.

For all others, there are two confirmed workarounds for this problem:

Fix II. Disable the AA ingame.
In the main menu, navigate to Options >> Video and set Anti-Aliasing to OFF.*
This will, of course, lead to a decrease of your video quality ingame (jagged lines on the edge of objects).

Fix III. You can Alt-Tab and use AA by replacing a DLL-file.

!!! WARNING! If you are using a widescreen resolution, the replaced DLL seems to fubar your FOV !!!
See here: http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5243/dllfov.gif

1. Follow this link http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-2/802783-alt-tab-bug-fix-community.html and download the file named RendDX9.dll through the link in the first post.

2. Navigate to your main Battlefield 2-folder (usually something like C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2).

3. Replace the original RendDX9.dll with the one you've downloaded. For safety purposes, I would recommend to rename the original file instead of deleting/overwriting it.

You should now be able to minimize the game while AA is on without experiencing problems.
Judging by the reports given in the link above, no side-effects should occur by replacing the original file. I have myself tried it on a server using punkbuster for about 30 minutes and didn't run into anything, hence, it should be safe to use the files. HOWEVER, there is no guarantee, so if any problems occur, for example you're getting kicked by punkbuster with an according error message (make sure you have PB updated to the newest version!), report this here immidiately!

----------------------------------------

I hope this helps some of you. If you have any remarks other further questions, post here or write me a PM, I'll try to keep the top post up-to-date. See you at the front!
Greetings, Schneider.

*You COULD try to disable your ingame AA and force AA with appropiate graphic driver setting (in your nVidia Control Panel, or the Catalyst Control Panel if you use an ATI card). However, the newer driver series of nVidia seem to prevent the Control Panel to force AA. You can circumvent this by using the Nhancer tool [http://www.nhancer.com/], however, first tests seem to indicate that this will also lead to a crash if you do not use the dll-file provided above. If you DO use the DLL and Nhancer, you can of course set your AA to a higher value than the ingame video settings allow. I do not know of any tests concerning this with ATI graphic cards, so feel free to test it and report it, I will add it to this post.
 8)
« Last Edit: 08-09-2009, 03:09:39 by Schneider »

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
Re: [FIX] Alt-Tab leading to crash with BF 1.5 + FH 2.2
« Reply #1 on: 05-09-2009, 19:09:15 »
The EA forums post says replacing the dll fixes the alt-tab but breaks the widescreen FOV. Can anyone confirm this?

Offline corsair89

• Cannon fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-09-2009, 19:09:53 »
Thanks for the tip I'll try that since I don't use widescreen ;)

Offline Apo-TTCC

• FH2 Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-09-2009, 19:09:47 »
The EA forums post says replacing the dll fixes the alt-tab but breaks the widescreen FOV. Can anyone confirm this?
Took two screenshots at the same pos and it looks like the FOV is indeed different.
« Last Edit: 05-09-2009, 23:09:02 by Apo-TTCC »
ß

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-09-2009, 22:09:36 »
And Punkbuster?

Offline MK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-09-2009, 23:09:26 »
No problem with PB,works perfect

Offline Apo-TTCC

• FH2 Betatester
    • View Profile
ß

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #7 on: 08-09-2009, 09:09:03 »
Oh, yes, it works. Otherwise it became too bad, cause I have to alt+tab to manage Teamspeak/Mumble and the such.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-09-2009, 11:09:50 »
Does the official thing from DICE still break widescreen?  I don't use widescreen, but it's a good question for those who do...

Offline theUg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-09-2009, 14:09:15 »
No, good as new.

Show some hospitality

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-09-2009, 01:09:05 »
There was a problem with PB with that new fix, is it fine now?

Offline theUg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-09-2009, 04:09:26 »
What kind of problem? I’ve played FH2 yesterday after updating dll for several rounds with no problem. Didn’t try vanilla or PR though.

Show some hospitality

Offline Hunter

• View Profile
    • stratego gaming community
« Reply #12 on: 09-09-2009, 12:09:10 »
Ionizer,
punkbuster itself does not perform any kick or ban based on the changed .dll file, only server admins running their customized md5 tool checks need to remove the checks of the renddx9.dll file - to scan it is not required either ways. Punkbuster does check the file for known cheats, at these days server admins cannot be sure what .dll will be installed due to the fix from DICE by now, or if the client is using a 1.41 or 1.5 install.

In other words you are safe.  :)

If you experience a kick from your favourite server, try to get in touch with the server admin(s) to inform them about it, or alternatively play on a different server.

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09-09-2009, 12:09:46 »
I updated using the thing from DICE and got kicked by punkbuster a few times for "Ignoring MD5 tool Queries" but that might have been packet loss caused by a Main East Coast USA ISP futzing up and screwing up alot of internet on the Eastern Seaboard (the WOLF server seems to have been hit hard by it, my favorite server that I keep getting kicked from).  Would it tell me what file it is specifically kicking me for being wrong, or will just give me that generic "ignoring queries" message?  I played for about 5 hours last night and only got kicked 2-3 times (at least, only 2-3 times for "Ignoring MD5 Queries", I had a few unrelated crashes otherwise).

The "Ignoring" thing also happened occasionally before installing that fix...
« Last Edit: 09-09-2009, 13:09:57 by Ionizer »

Offline Marquis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-09-2009, 13:09:06 »
That .dll seems to have done the trick for me. Although I still sometimes experience that bf crashes when I quit the game (after playing fh2) , but it has no impact on the gaming, so.. :)