Author Topic: Being a "sniper"  (Read 22032 times)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Being a "sniper"
« Reply #15 on: 09-06-2009, 13:06:19 »

someone seems to remember a test session where i tied down 6 players of the enemy team searching for the one lonesome happy sneaky sniper killing them over and over and over ...

Heh I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. :-/
My memory fails.

Also, in Normandy, if you need to hide, its usually very easy when theres quite tense vegetation almost everywhere. Just jump in some hedges and keep quiet. :)
« Last Edit: 09-06-2009, 13:06:29 by Flippy Warbear »

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09-06-2009, 15:06:23 »
Sherman comes driving toward you, next to you are a bush and a flat piece of ground, where do you go prone in?

Trick question. Shermans don't drive towards people, they hit you with the mg fire, less you be some sorta mine laying corpse.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #17 on: 09-06-2009, 16:06:25 »
nice posts,

my tactic(s) -

Not everything/everyone is an immediate target, pick your shots, - don't draw attention to yourself.  Wait until they have their back to you.

Gazala is a great map to practice mobile sniping, shot a few peeps, move on.  There are lots of places to take vanatge points from.

Mersa Matruh is a good map to practice static sniping.  Avoid the mosque tower it's a giveaway. There is a burnt out truck on the road from Matruh Mosque to Matruh Station, I have stayed there until out of ammo, rearmed (shot on the way back) returned later and basically stayed 99% of the map duration in that one spot with 27 kills.

^ With regards to that hiding place, of course every Pzr that passes it will fire a HE round at it, but there are 3 other places that I have had the same sucess with.  Just don't feel like every map requires you to shoot and run.

Master the very long shot - the very very long shot, when the guy is almost a pixel in the fog, some may say this is cheating, but it's an art, the deviation of shot is there - as it would be in the real world, you need practice this over and over until you notice the pattern, Sfakia is the perfect palce to practice, grab the german rifle and park yourself at a point near the rearguard so you can see the monastray, infantry running up and down the hill between the command post and monastay are very hard to hit from a distance, infantry coming in and out of the monastary road will make excellent practice for long shots.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #18 on: 09-06-2009, 16:06:13 »
Sherman comes driving toward you, next to you are a bush and a flat piece of ground, where do you go prone in?

Trick question. Shermans don't drive towards people, they hit you with the mg fire, less you be some sorta mine laying corpse.
Alright we change that question, a Sherman is coming in your direction but it hasn't spotted you yet so you have to hide quickly, where do you hide? In a bush or in a open piece of dirt?
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09-06-2009, 17:06:40 »
Depends, if the cupola is pointed away run for the bush, if it is pointed my way sit still. Human eye is attracted to movement dontcha know and the bush doesn't protect against Mg fire. Honestly though foliage isn't a good spot to put yourself in on purpose. Statics are much more efficient as they will become visible when you become visible and provide hard cover. The only time I can think of when bushes and grass are good spots to put yourself in on purpose is if theres a flag zone a few meters away and there are deep pockets of foliage, its a moot point though because, I can't think of a stock map that has this.
« Last Edit: 09-06-2009, 17:06:06 by Kildar »

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09-06-2009, 17:06:09 »
From experience I can say if you just lay still in a bush no tank will spot you.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09-06-2009, 17:06:28 »
Also if a search party or a pissed of victim might be out looking for you, change your position and s-mine the old one. If changing positions is not possible, mine yourself (stay prone of yourse) so he doens't get your rifle after killing you.
Changing positions is very important, how often have I shot somebody in the back who was on his way to my old position.
As far as nice sniping positions go, here's a nice one for Allies on Matruh (stay away from the mosque tower):
1. Get a sniper rifle
2. Go to the area where most of the allied tanks spawn (the walled of area)
3. Go into the watchtower there.
4. Shoot at people coming down the road, artillery spot the station or the westernmost flag
5. If the eastern flag is captured, lie down an S-Mine on the stairs of the watchtower, then shoot every German in the back who spawns there and tries to leave the area. They mostly will not come up there, if one is smart he will run into the S-Mine. (It can't be avoided through crawling, because of the stairs)

Works everytime.

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #22 on: 09-06-2009, 18:06:55 »
Alright we change that question, a Sherman is coming in your direction but it hasn't spotted you yet so you have to hide quickly, where do you hide? In a bush or in a open piece of dirt?

From my experiance, these metalic beasts can be fooled quite easily.. upon seing them in the distance in Afrika, all I've done is lay down and they've driven right past me, on numerous occation. On Alam Halfa one came so close that I actualy had to move so it didn't drive over me. mindless but dangerous beasts, these tanks are..

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09-06-2009, 18:06:52 »
Haha yes, dangerous beasts but quite stupid if you just stand still  :P

Throw a smoke next to him and just walk in another direction also works everytime I try it  ;D

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09-06-2009, 19:06:45 »

Don't move! He'll lose you if you don't move.

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10-06-2009, 18:06:08 »
To be fair, I find that, in being a scout as I usually am it often doesn't even occur to people that their might be enemies closer to their main or their 'safe' cappabled flags. I can't count how many times I've been hiding in a bush on Gold Beach only to have someone walk through the bush and not even see anything. It's so bad some people don't even react to the shooting of your weapon if it makes the same sound as the the weapons employed by their team.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10-06-2009, 21:06:35 »
my favorite part (at least in normandy)  besides sniping people is the goal to annoy the shit out of the enemy team so they send lot of forces to take out out. this way a single soldier can tie down many enemy players . a game like cat and mice where the roles change fluently. first you are the cat take out a few mice and then they start hunting you so you place s-mines on your old location and switch to a new one. they find your mines (free kill) and you then knwo where they are and the game goes on.

Of course, sometimes they take the easy way. I was sniping the Germans on Alpenfestung from inside a bush. So they simply took the Ostwind and shot every visible bush. I didn't notice they were doing that until I got my own kill message.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10-06-2009, 22:06:18 »
One of my favorite spots to snipe is in the house closest to the north west flag on Breakthrough (I believe it's in B3 - an STG44 kit is in that house, it's close to another house and a barn, and just across the river from where the G43 ZF spawns in that lake house thing). You have a perfect view of the entire cap radius of that flag, and, if you're spotted, not only do you have that STG44/nades kit you can pick up for local defense, but you have the other house or the barn to retreat to without being visible to inf at the flag for more than a split second. Really, there are few negatives to that spot. You can call arty to bomb the hell out of that flag, you can pick off any infantry with ease (as it's just within range enough for the G43), and it's very rarely a flag that anyone lingers at - if it's a tank taking that flag (i.e. not exposed infantry), 9 times out of 10 they either drive off towards the two other flags on the British side of the river, or they drive right past you and over the bridge to the west flag on the German side. You can also spot the bridge itself from there.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13-06-2009, 20:06:02 »

Don't move! He'll lose you if you don't move.

THAT THEORY HAS BEEN DISCOUNTED!!! RUN!!!!

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13-06-2009, 20:06:49 »
Ohh, and make sure you know how to ignore team mates. Because most team mates are stupid.