Author Topic: Found letter in Italian - need translation  (Read 561 times)

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
Found letter in Italian - need translation
« on: 09-05-2018, 06:05:30 »
So I bought some old British ammo pouches on eBay, and they arrived today. I was opening all the pockets and stuffi mg them to help get rid of the creases, and I came across a letter. It's in Italian, and I'm not exactly sure how it ended up in a British ammo pouch, but it's there nonetheless. Unfortunately I only speak English and some Spanish, and my wife only speaks English, Russian, and French, so we're fairly useless with Italian. Anyone here have any ideas what it says? I tried putting it through Google translate, but I'm either getting some letters wrong or the translation software doesn't work all that well, so I figured I'd try to find  a native speaker.

In case the imagine isn't appearing, here's the link to it (conveniently on my NA related tumblr blog!)

https://panzers-and-sand.tumblr.com/image/173724362216
« Last Edit: 09-05-2018, 06:05:30 by GIJordncc1701d »

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
Re: Found letter in Italian - need translation
« Reply #1 on: 09-05-2018, 11:05:36 »
This is a permission for a scholar person/ soldier in a casern (?) to go fishing imo.
Capo aiutante seems wrong it should be aiutante capo but an native italian could correct that

Il capo aiutante Lupi Giuseppe é autorizzato a pescare dalle ore 20H00 alle ore 02H00 con M. 3 persone

Livorno 2-5-1963

Sc.(Scuola) Di picchetto
Giorgio Casotti

Some kind of translation, an italian will give you more information:
The assistant (adjudant ?) Lupi Giuseppe is authorized to go fishing from 20 hour to 2 hour with 3 persons

Livorno 2-5-1963

School of picchetto
Giorgio Casotti

A little off-topic :
about your blog, the guy on the left is french. It has a mas36 so ihe could to be from the foreign legion. Maybe a picture after the fall of bir hakeim
https://78.media.tumblr.com/0c07424e64e870ba2c23a97bb8c79f52/tumblr_p7xaaiFtOi1wl2734o1_500.jpg
« Last Edit: 09-05-2018, 11:05:23 by Seth_Soldier »

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-05-2018, 00:05:42 »
Thanks! That makes a lot more sense than what I came up with. I guess kids in 1960s Italy liked old military surplus as much as ones today do haha.

Yes! Thats why I reblogged it. The NA theater has always been my favorite, hence why I love FH so much. I had a feeling the photo was probably from after Bir Hakim. Pretty fool stuff. I love seeing photos like that, the ones that a lot of people won't realize are pretty historically significant. I once saw a photo of a bunch of German troops servicing a Goliath mine. The caption was about the Goliath, but the guy front and center had, slung over his shoulder, a G.41(M)! It was one of the very few times I've seen a photo of one from during the war. I wish I could find the photo again, I will someday.

Offline Gattobuono

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31-05-2018, 21:05:21 »
Ciao!

Capo aiutante does seem wrong, but this was written in 1963, so vocabulary could have changed.

"Il capo aiutante Lupi Giuseppe é autorizzato a pescare dalle ore 2000 alle ore 0200 con N. 3 persone"

In English this would read "Chief assistant Giuseppe Lupi (Giuseppe is his first name, in Italian we write the surname first) is authorised to fish from 20:00h (8 p.m.) to 02:00h (2 a.m.) with 3 people. The capital N. is an abbreviation of numero (number).

Saluti :-)

Offline Kasztelan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31-05-2018, 22:05:09 »
I wish I could find the photo again, I will someday.

http://www.gewehr43.com/battle.html