Author Topic: BF2 Spawnsystem!  (Read 29159 times)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
BF2 Spawnsystem!
« on: 19-05-2009, 17:05:36 »
i allways hear voices that say the BF2 Squadleadersystem sucks. Well i like it :) whats your Opinion?

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
Re: BF2 Spawnsystem!
« Reply #1 on: 19-05-2009, 17:05:18 »
I like it in general as it opens better teamplay options than the classic bf42 did. Though sometimes it is annoying to have a squadleader mama hiding somewhere and spitting out children on and on and on, although a halfway decent team will prevent this.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #2 on: 19-05-2009, 17:05:23 »
Only change I'd make would be to add spawn points to APCs.  Otherwise I'd leave it as is.

Edit:
only ? or additional?
Not quite sure what you mean.  All I meant was that I think that the APCs could have spawn points in them (only active when manned) which I think would make them used more.  There could allways be APC clones without spawns so that mappers could decide.  Other than that, I think that the spawn system is fine as it is currently.
« Last Edit: 19-05-2009, 17:05:00 by Eat Uranium »

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-05-2009, 17:05:05 »
Only change I'd make would be to add spawn points to APCs.  Otherwise I'd leave it as is.

only ? or additional?

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #4 on: 19-05-2009, 17:05:51 »
Big yes to APC spawns!  On some maps.  As far as the current SL spawning system I am torn.  I like that it keeps the squad together and all but I always end up feeling really bad for the SL himself.  If he is doing his job he should be cowering under some furniture static some ways away from the flag while we rush in.  It just seems wrong that to do his/her job well and be a team player they have to sit back hide and STFU for the whole game.  There is always the PR style rally system but I really don't know how well that would fit FH2's style of play.  If it was ever done we would have to keep such rally points far far away from the freaking flag to keep it fair.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-05-2009, 18:05:32 »
In FHT we have no SL spawn and APC spawns do fine.

What I observed so far is:

- General gameplay is more FH1 like - you pay more atention to stay alive. Also trucks filled with soldiers travelling to the unknown are back again.
- APCs have much more strategic power.
- Gameplay is less squad-based = squads are more spread over the map.
- Players like it.

But you have to remember tournament gameplay is a bit different then public one.
« Last Edit: 19-05-2009, 18:05:33 by [F|H]Spit »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-05-2009, 18:05:35 »
I would like to see APC's such as Halftracks getting a spawn-mechanism because those vehicles got their plus and minus sides.

SL as it is now is either a) great for attacker and b) shit for the defender.
Attacker can keep pouring on until overwhelming defender, while defender must search and destroy the attackers "Magic Man" who keeps summoning people with his Satanic powers, defender will in most cases be overwhelmed.

APC on the other hand would;
a) Give more important role for the vehicles of this type because right now... who gives a shit about them?
b) Are still vulnerable (think for Africa quite too vulnerable as the AT-R's can just knock em out far away with two shots...) and rather easy to take out
c) Noticeable. You can have them stand out like a friggin' clown car, but at least the defender sees it.
d) Provide proper covering fire with their mounted MG's, SL really cant.
e) Puts more weight in the importance for the tanks to take care of their "lightly armored" bastard step-children instead of leaving them on their own. Help you, Help me.

We already have so many big maps in Africa which would be great to test this system with. Just "buff" the Halftracks a wee bit so it wont be downed with two AT-R shots. Also, Normandy has some maps in testing (Lebisey, Luttich and many others which I wont mention) that could use this function even more because its even easier for the SL to hide in these maps than it is in Africa. And we know that even in Africa its sometimes just annoying as hell when one SL is hiding like a lil rat in his hole, constantly sending streams of soldiers to overwhelm the enemy.

At least it would be a lot more realistic to see the "endless stream" come out of the back of a Halftrack than pop out of thin air.

Just my opinion.

Offline K.Cower

• I use immersive HUD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19-05-2009, 19:05:36 »
At least it would be a lot more realistic to see the "endless stream" come out of the back of a Halftrack than pop out of thin air.

Just my opinion.

Agree!
Sinn Féin

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #8 on: 19-05-2009, 19:05:19 »
I would give the commander the ability to "drop" spawn points. Maybe plant a flag on the ground or something where everyone can spawn as long as it stays alife. Enemys can destroy it to prevent further spawning.
Or something like paratroop support. Commander can greate a spawn point in the air where people can spawn with chutes like on arnhem in FH1.

SL system is cool as it is.

Offline bosco

• View Profile
    • Project Reality
« Reply #9 on: 19-05-2009, 21:05:20 »
Vehicle spawn and/or some kind of limits - i.e. SM can only spawn on the SL if he is within xxxm range of a friendly flag/APC.

Offline verg_6

• Crusader MkIII for life (Until 2.2, that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19-05-2009, 21:05:20 »
As has been said, the APC spawn system sounds great. I'm not a fan of the Squad-Leader spawn mechanic, having seen it been used in a way that was completely unfair for the defending team. In Bardia, the SL got in the Matilda, and the only way to destroy that beast in the map was to lay down mines, use satchels, or the horribly-placed 88s that have to have their targets right on top of them in order to score a hit. That tank just camped by the flags, spewing out infantry like some ungodly man-making machine. Squad-Leader spawn is alright if it's just infantry base, but when you put the SL in a goddamned mobile bunker, it's just cheap.

Offline Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19-05-2009, 21:05:11 »

Defender uses the same tactic to cap the flag back, so it's great/sucks for both.

Attacker can keep pouring on until overwhelming defender, while defender must search and destroy the attackers "Magic Man" who keeps summoning people with his Satanic powers, defender will in most cases be overwhelmed.

Thats the general idea of attacking. btw most regular sl have their standart hidding places. If you play more or less regulary you now where to look (corvax  ;) can tell you about it).

Points A to E and droppable commander spawnpoints (corvax) will never work on a public server.

If you gonna use it (on a publicserver) I predict 90% of the attacking team will be stranded on the mainbase.

I like it as it is, its in balance for both attacker and defender.

Magnus

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19-05-2009, 21:05:55 »

Defender uses the same tactic to cap the flag back, so it's great/sucks for both.

Yes, but at that point the defender would have become the attacker and attacker would have become the defender. So again, it is the same situation. Sucks for defender, rocks for attacker.

Quote from: Magnus

Thats the general idea of attacking. btw most regular sl have their standart hidding places. If you play more or less regulary you now where to look (corvax  ;) can tell you about it).

Points A to E and droppable commander spawnpoints (corvax) will never work on a public server.

If you gonna use it (on a publicserver) I predict 90% of the attacking team will be stranded on the mainbase.

I like it as it is, its in balance for both attacker and defender.

Magnus

Surely, I do not play 2.15 because I dont have it anymore. And I havent played in publics for months. You are absolutely right that there are standard places where the attacking SL can hide, it is usually quite easy to find out where he is as you keep following the "trail of dead spawns". But still, the whole thing is that you need to go and find him thus leaving the possibly proper setup defenses. But like I also said, imagine the same thing in Normandy when the SL can hide pretty much anywhere as long as the flag is around thick vegetation (which is of course plenty on pretty much all maps).

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20-05-2009, 01:05:03 »
Spawn points in :
APCs
Paratrooper planes
and ships (when they come)
Other than that, If you could limit where a squad leader can act as a spawnpoint that'd be perfect.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20-05-2009, 02:05:39 »
There should be some maps where an attacking force doesn't get a command post, and instead is only supplied with half-tracks or similar vehicles all with spawn points attached to them. Make sure there is enough for a full 64 player sized game, and then let the attackers loose on a line of trenches or fortifications. The vehicles would respawn obviously and the attackers would keep at the attack with a constant bleed until a Command Post is taken.

Making sure to remove all Anti-Tank kits from the map, as well as any ammoboxes to prevent re-armament of the AT guns that might be placed on the map. And the removal of Engineers so that there is no repairs being made, and no land-mines being placed. Basically an all out rifleman brawl where defenders frantically try to stop the onslaught.

Either that or a map where the command posts can be destroyed and the base rendered useless.

Another map idea which works real well, and could be done with the Gold Rush game-mode is where you place the two capturable flags or gold in this case next to each-other on a hill, with 2 uncapturable main bases at opposite ends of the map. On round start the armies rush for the hill, and whichever army can attack and defend the best will win.
« Last Edit: 20-05-2009, 02:05:57 by Archimonday »