Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 117672 times)

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #285 on: 03-05-2013, 00:05:32 »
That game looks interesting.I suppose it haves cockpit view as I saw in a video?
How it's it arcade mode?Too unforgiving or almost like Battlefield flying?

Offline Pejsaty

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 03-05-2013, 00:05:57 »
flying with mouse is very easy!  :P

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 03-05-2013, 01:05:46 »
Ugh!No flying with mouse! (Except helicopters)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 03-05-2013, 01:05:55 »
That game looks interesting.I suppose it haves cockpit view as I saw in a video?
How it's it arcade mode?Too unforgiving or almost like Battlefield flying?

It's quite well done. You either do a good job and can make relatively easy kills or you don't pay attention to your surrounding and get fucked up. Once you have an enemy on your tail, you have limited chances to escape but it's good like that and you depend on the help of your teammates of course (which usually rather fly in groups of 5 behind 1 burning enemy instead of helping you though :P) Anyway, different airplanes have different speeds, climb rates, turn rates etc., so with the right moves you can always do something in theory.

THere is a cockpit view but I would not use it in Arcade mode as you will have severe disadvantages. If you want to fky cockpit and potentially with joystick go for Historical or Full real battles. Overall the game is arcade though, not a real flight sim, although you have a game mode for that but only a very tiny part of the community plas those "Full real battles."

Anyway, give it a try, it's really fun and free, so not much you can do wrong :)

Edit: When you fly with joystick you will have a harder time than everyone else in the game and you might want to focus on Historical an Full Real Battles, arcade will most likely be a bit frustrating as people have too big advantages flying with mouse and arcadish flight models.
« Last Edit: 03-05-2013, 01:05:57 by Surfbird »

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 03-05-2013, 06:05:03 »
Also, I need to make myself some Track IR this summer... Sounds like a great summer project  ;):

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how-tos/how_build_your_own_ir_head_tracker?page=0,1
Already on it, mate. I have the headpiece (almost) ready, made it yesterday at school in approx 2 hours. Today it's time for some webcam dismantling.

It's fun to go to a school where all the materials you need are there and free. And these IR-LEDs I'm using only have 1.06V forward voltage, so a 1.5V AA or AAA battery should do the trick without any resistors. If I wanted to add a resistor, it would be 8.2 Ohms. Which is next to nothing.
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 03-05-2013, 08:05:02 »
IIRC its best for the circuit as long as you have a small resistor in there, nothing too crazy. Can't exactly remember why

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 03-05-2013, 10:05:37 »
Once you have an enemy on your tail, you have limited chances to escape but it's good like that and you depend on the help of your teammates of course (which usually rather fly in groups of 5 behind 1 burning enemy instead of helping you though :P) Anyway, different airplanes have different speeds, climb rates, turn rates etc., so with the right moves you can always do something in theory.

Of course you have limited chances to escape when all the dogfights take place either at 500 m or treetop level... You can't do anything but try to corner like a madman (which is impossible in a non agile plane)... I had a great, almost 5 minute dogfight with a guy at about 2k once. We were going round and round, up and down. When I managed to shake him off I went into some clouds and then made a huge mistake, I flew out of the cloud and below them, suddenly he appeared from the sun behind me and brought me down with one short skilled burst!
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 03-05-2013, 12:05:36 »
It´s very well possible to get you enemy off your tail. Granted: It´s not super easy and often risky, but it makes fun. I remember occassions in my Stuka where I just turned off the engine and made a very tight turn. The enemy fighter was to fast and overshot me and suddenly he was in front of me. Wiht other aircraft you can outclimb your enemy, although you have to make sure there is enough distance to begin with between you and your foe or you end up as a slower target. Also you can dive and rotate and change directions to confuse the guy on your tail. Plenty of possibilities.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Pejsaty

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 03-05-2013, 12:05:32 »
It´s very well possible to get you enemy off your tail. Granted: It´s not super easy and often risky, but it makes fun. I remember occassions in my Stuka where I just turned off the engine and made a very tight turn. The enemy fighter was to fast and overshot me and suddenly he was in front of me. Wiht other aircraft you can outclimb your enemy, although you have to make sure there is enough distance to begin with between you and your foe or you end up as a slower target. Also you can dive and rotate and change directions to confuse the guy on your tail. Plenty of possibilities.

Yeah, I often tried to do this - it usually ended with getting shot or heavily damaged or crashing enemy into mine...  ::)

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 03-05-2013, 14:05:03 »
That freetrack stuff looks really interesting.

I think my soldering skills might be good enough to try this version  :P
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 03-05-2013, 14:05:56 »

I did not say it's not possible. As I said, better climb, speed and turn can always save you. But when you have a skilled pilot with an equal plane behind you it is very hard and it's good that it is. I don't get into the situation of having an enemy at my tail often anymore though as I check the surrounding and don't engage on enemies that are flying in a group. Most times I die to tail gunners or because of several hits from several people over a bunch of minutes. With checking surroundings and knowing the plane's advantages there is a fair chance to not get too many enemies on the tail anyway I feel.
Reducing speed, while lowering flaps and pulling up a bit sometimes works well indeed, but when the enemy is faster and overshoots he usually can pull up turn mid air and dive down again without you doing anything as there is not enough speed left.

I remember doing this with the fat Catilina though wehre the enemies often sit directly behind you as there is no tail gunner that can shoot them there, often just 100-200 meters away. Engine stop and they either have to dive down or crash into you and the Catilina often does not take lethal damage of it :P

Furthermore in Historical battles evasive moves can be a lot easier as the flight models differ a lot more and you can use your plane's advantages better. Furthermore the fights happen in higher altitudes than in arcade and it's harder for the enemy to hit you which gives more time as well.

But usually I experience that when I am behind an enemy fighter, he either dies or a teammate helps him and he doesn't die. In the end most evasive maneuvers just buy time, due to the arrow showing you where the enemy is and the 360° view, you don't lose sight on an enemy very often and losing an enemy requires mistakes on your own part.

Getting completely rid of an enemy fighter works great in biplane games and with planes that have a high speed though. Often I just dive down, knowing I am slightly faster than the enemy plane and slowly get further and further away from him. When he keeps following either teammates come to help or the gap is big enough to take some risk and finish him on my own.

But everyone has his specific playstyle there. I usually wait a lot and only get involved in dogfights whithout enemy number advantage, concentrate on bombers often and pick my targets very carefully.
« Last Edit: 03-05-2013, 14:05:49 by Surfbird »

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 05-05-2013, 19:05:55 »
Ok,tried a bit yesterday.Downloading almost made me rage quit the game.
It's heavily based on WoT,but with a strange interface.It's quite like IL2 met WoT.The graphics and sounds are awesome,but I don't think it may substitute the new IL2 sequels,even if I play arcade mode.
The cockpits are beautiful,but I feel more comfortable playing at 3rd person,IDK why...
Still trying to understand how the researching works.Seems you need to have both points and a rank to get into a new plane.

What I really liked on this game were the pre war planes.Will never find them at IL2 or anywhere else.

Offline Pejsaty

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 05-05-2013, 20:05:24 »
Well theres one big difference between War Thunder and WoT - in WT you can shoot every plane with 1st tier plane. These planes are really pain in the ass, becasue they turn faster. However, their lack of speed and low reward bonus make them not worthy using with higher levels. In WoT you can't damage a higher tank with lower tier one... Well, you will say that planes aren't the same as tanks - true, but in WoT often pissed me when guys with KV-2 simply ruled the battlefield.
What's more, in WoT each tank has armor bar, in War Thunder you can be shot with single burst, depending where you get hit. Of course, now it turns out that this game base more on luck than skill and I agree with this statement. However, if sb luckilly shot you, you can do this with the next plane, so it's ok.

Now, after last short patch, I think that reward system is ok. With a good round, I can get more than 30k lions which is not bad.

What I really don't like is possibility of killing pilot. Why? Because flying a German bomber or Me410 is really pain in the ass because pilot sits just "on the nose"....

What I really like is Stuka G-2 - awesome plane with its 37mm guns simply smash enemy bombers!   ;D

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 06-05-2013, 01:05:57 »
But like in WoT,does a He-51 fights a MiG-15 in the same battle?

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 06-05-2013, 07:05:00 »
But like in WoT,does a He-51 fights a MiG-15 in the same battle?

Nope, you get enemies based on your level with maybe some upper levels, depends.

If you're over 10 level, then you'll find jets, but those are very rare because almost nobody has them.