Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 4081 times)

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Europa Universalis IV
« on: 10-08-2013, 12:08:17 »
So anybody here also pre ordered EUIV ?

It's coming out this Thursday, you can already download a demo to try it out :)

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1 on: 10-08-2013, 12:08:19 »
Preordered it as soon as it was possible :D. And isn't it coming on Tuesday? I remember the release date being August 13.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-08-2013, 12:08:08 »
Some of my friends are going crazy about it. I played quite a lot of EU3 with them, but I'm not sure if this will be of interest for me as I get bored rather fast. I also don't see too many major features that improve it compared to EU3, except some nice stuff like trade routes and graphical improvement. But I might be wrong there.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-08-2013, 12:08:02 »
I'm quite interested. Probably going to buy it at some point.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-08-2013, 15:08:55 »
Played some of the demo. Played as Portugal until 1520 and did the 3 tutorials.

As always, the tutorials are not that good. It basically tells you where to find the menu's, but doesn't tell you what they're good for. The game has changed dramatically compared to EU III. You can no longer mint coins, economy and technology are separated. Instead you get 3 new resources to manage your technology ("monarch points"). Each nation now also gets a bag of unique historical ideas that are unlocked as you progress (for instance for Portugal this is the legacy of Henry the navigator, giving +20% colonial range).

Annual incomes are gone, you only get monthly ones. Since minting is no longer an option, your finances become more obscure. They are now depended on your trade and taxation, both things where you have limited influence over. Expanding your realm has become harder, you now get a penalty for over stretching your empire. On the other hand, converting, gaining cores and changing culture has become allot easier then in EU III

All in all, it seems that it will be allot harder to get your nation on the map starting as a minor. Gone are the days of mass minting, recruiting 10k or so mercenaries, just to annex your one province neighbour. Since it's harder to accumulate cash, I believe your options will be very limited. Anyway we'll see when the game is released (which is actually Wednesday in Europe, not Thursday as I said )     

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-08-2013, 15:08:17 »
Thanks for the info. I'm downloading the demo right now and have a look. Then I might even buy it.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-08-2013, 17:08:37 »
Alright, changed my mind after playing some of the EU 4 demo and realizing I get Crusader Kings 2, some DLC stuff, and a save game converter from CK2 to EU4 when I preorder. So I'm actually thinking about getting it now :P

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-08-2013, 18:08:03 »
@luftwaffe: Instead of minting, you have loans now. They are now a much more viable strategy instead of the certain death sentence they were in EU3. It is perfectly normal to take out multiple loans while waging war now.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-08-2013, 20:08:37 »
But loans always backfire. What you need is an income increase : if your nation is losing money, you can mint to compensate it. If you take a loan, you are only making things worse, since you also need to pay an interest. That's why minting is a far better solution then loaning money.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-08-2013, 00:08:50 »
Just ordered. Played a bit of EUIII beforehand as Portugal, now it's time to colonize in EUIV!

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-08-2013, 02:08:09 »
Pre-ordered it back in June, plus did that sign up thing to get some free DLC for Poland (Winged Hussars fuck yah!).  So I'm gonna be playing as soon as I get back from the vacation to Nor Cal this week :3

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-08-2013, 14:08:19 »
Just preordered after the demo convinced me and as I get CK2 for free as well. Looking forward to play it :)

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-08-2013, 01:08:10 »
I don't know what it is about these games, I feel like there is so much depth that I cant seem to discover. I find them not fun at all.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-08-2013, 02:08:03 »
Arguably they've a slower pace then anything else out there. In CK2 and HoI3 I could spend days planning something and keeping tabs, but when it all comes together, it's all worth it. Still, I might hold off on buying for a week or two.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-08-2013, 02:08:43 »
I don't know what it is about these games, I feel like there is so much depth that I cant seem to discover. I find them not fun at all.
That's how I felt about at first. Now I have mastered CK II!  It really is a lot of fun once you figure it out, I had a friend and also Fuchs tutor me somewhat on how to play.  Once you begin to feel a bit more competent and less powerless to do anything it gets very fun.

However, feudalism seems to be the most I can manage, I still can't make heads nor tails of HOI III.  But I'm sure if I put my head to it for a while, I could get it down.