Author Topic: Omaha Beach - Defenses Explained  (Read 21176 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Omaha Beach - Defenses Explained
« Reply #15 on: 02-04-2014, 15:04:44 »
That's usually the case with FH2 beachmaps, gives the impression of the attackers "climbing up" the map.

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02-04-2014, 16:04:29 »
You mean, it's a classic mistake to not think about north? :p

(I did the same with "overlord" for PR :p, and many realize their mistake when it's too far in development already, hehe ;))

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02-04-2014, 16:04:14 »
Hehe. No it's actually the same on Port en Bessin (which was supposed to be a beachmap until somebody looked into it). Attackers on beachmaps always fight up.

Offline Viikkasota

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02-04-2014, 18:04:31 »
Well Pointe du Hoc seems more correct.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02-04-2014, 19:04:10 »

I think it was stated somewhere that PdH was laid out before the mappers learned that 'attacking-up' the beach gives the player a better feel.

Btw- another awesome devblog TS. I learned a lot about the defense and a lot about how badass this map is gonna be 8)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02-04-2014, 20:04:54 »

I think it was stated somewhere that PdH was laid out before the mappers learned that 'attacking-up' the beach gives the player a better feel.

Btw- another awesome devblog TS. I learned a lot about the defense and a lot about how badass this map is gonna be 8)

funny, to me, attacking down feels more like "fighting inland" :) oh well it's just a map ;)

Offline Viikkasota

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02-04-2014, 21:04:47 »
I would have liked it more if the map was placed like it is in real life, as I like realism but I guess it's too late to change now.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02-04-2014, 21:04:03 »
There is not true north and south in fh2 land. Some devs a firm believers that the poles will soon switch place and everything will be fine.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02-04-2014, 21:04:19 »
Also, you can set the map to rotate if I recall correctly.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02-04-2014, 22:04:11 »
North and south are reversed on PHL and 633 Squadron Operation Hyacinth too (LRDG most likely came in from the east, and the airfield was north of the town in any case). Never mind that the Germans start on the western bank in Meuse River 1944 and try to advance to the eastern bank (unless it's reversed too) :p

Brest is on the other hand about 90 degrees lopsided (north is on the right, as sea should be roughly in the south), as is Fall of Tobruk (again, sea is roughly south of the town centre, but this time north is on the left) - curiously enough, Siege of Tobruk is not.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02-04-2014, 22:04:01 »
About the use of bangalores; I'm assuming the barbed wire can only be blown at certain spots (like the wall on Gold Beach) to open up new avenues for the Americans not get bottle-necked? Any word on how we know which sections of barbed wire can be blown and which ones can't? Or is that for us to figure out ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02-04-2014, 22:04:03 »
You can blow up all barbed wire on the seawall.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02-04-2014, 22:04:20 »
There is not true north and south in fh2 land. Some devs a firm believers that the poles will soon switch place and everything will be fine.
Geographic north and south are not magnetic north and south, in fact, geographic north corresponds roughly (1000 km away) from the magnetic south pole (generally called the magnetic north pole to avoid confusion).

Still, if the orientation of the minimap is the best thing people can come up with to complain about, you should consider your update pretty successful.

Now, the position of the Sun on the other hand should be in the correct place, as it is the only way you can determine actual north. Whether the north points to the top of your screen is totally irrelevant. It's like holding a map upside down and saying the map is wrong - the map is fine. So, judging from the minimap, the shadows are pointing to the right, which means the Sun is rising on the left side. Since this is early morning and the Sun rises in the east, the sea is in the north, which is correct.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03-04-2014, 00:04:06 »
Don't listen to this sorcerer of 'truth'!

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03-04-2014, 00:04:41 »
Geographic north and south are not magnetic north and south, in fact, geographic north corresponds roughly (1000 km away) from the magnetic south pole (generally called the magnetic north pole to avoid confusion).

Still, if the orientation of the minimap is the best thing people can come up with to complain about, you should consider your update pretty successful.

Now, the position of the Sun on the other hand should be in the correct place, as it is the only way you can determine actual north. Whether the north points to the top of your screen is totally irrelevant. It's like holding a map upside down and saying the map is wrong - the map is fine. So, judging from the minimap, the shadows are pointing to the right, which means the Sun is rising on the left side. Since this is early morning and the Sun rises in the east, the sea is in the north, which is correct.

But the compass under minimap will show sth different, right?