Author Topic: United Front News Post X.5: Release!  (Read 13516 times)

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
United Front News Post X.5: Release!
« on: 25-12-2009, 08:12:50 »

United Front News Update X.5: Release!

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the first ever United Front release! No this is NOT United Front 1.0 or even United Front 0.X. This is what we call a beta booster pack. Much like how in about 2006 for Battlefield 2 EA released two such booster packs, Euro Forces and Armored Fury, for BF2.

Effectively within the zip folder you are about to download lies four maps, that you drag and drop to your Fh2 levels folder, once you have done that you are ready to play. Really, you can switch between Fh2 servers and servers running UF maps without even closing Fh2, heck if servers want to run both UF and stock maps you can without closing! Best of all there is nothing that could possibly ***** up your normal install of Fh2!* This system is tried and true in FH2, as hundreds of players already do this for the World at War and Forgotten Honor tournaments, anyway here is some cool information on how to get it, where to play it, and whats in it:

Here is a list of download sites where you can get your download of our Booster Pack:

http://www.filefront.com/15194585/Red-Dawn-Beta.rar/

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/200000/208580.shtml

World at War will be having the maps on rotation randomly through the day
IP: 174.133.0.58:16567

So here are the four maps you will see in this beta:

Bloody Gultch by Sn00x[infantry/tanks]: USA vs Germany - Germany is defending its territory, will the USA smash through their defenses or will Germany defend its gains?

Ramelle Neuville-1944 an Fh1 classic remade by Pacifist[Infantry/Tanks] - USA vs Germany, the Americans are defending a recently liberated town from an onslaught of German armor. Can the Americans hold out?

Bombing of Constanta by Paasky [Planes/Ships]- Russian VVS vs German Luftwaffe. The Russians are out to test some new air toys against a German refinery, will the VVS have a successful new toy in their arsenal or will the Luftwaffe laugh at their enemies toy as it goes spiraling down into the sea? [Note: This is more of a demo map at this stage then meant as a "serious" map]

Ostmark by Paasky [Infantry/Tanks -New Vehicles-] - USA/Italy vs Germany. The Americans are fighting an enemy dug into mountainous terrain, will the Americans new Italian Alpine Allies be able to dig out the Germans holding the mountains or will the Germans send the Allies back with horrendous casualties?

We will give out an in depth spoiler guide to the maps in the coming weeks after we get back from vacation.

After you get done looking around on our maps we would like you to tell us what you think about it. Go to

http://z3.invisionfree.com/UnitedFrontMod/index.php?act=idx

sign up for the forums go to the suggestion box and complain, congratulate us, or anything so long as you follow the rules.

That's all for today, see you in 2010.

As always if you would like to donate anything, work with us, or want to trade equipment we are more then happy to oblige, just PM Paasky.

* We are not responsible for you not reading the read me and screwing up your install. Seriously read it.

Starting 18:00 GMT (1pm Eastern) today the BFE-WaW Public server shall have all 4 maps in rotation!

And if the installation instructions weren't clear enough: Either Extract or drag and drop the 4 folders inside the .rar file into your FH2 Levels folder, by default found in C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\mods\FH2\levels\

You can still play FH2 online without any interference, as everything is done mapside.
« Last Edit: 25-12-2009, 08:12:20 by Paasky »
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Arc9

• nmlforums.low-ping.com
    • View Profile
Re: United Front News Post X.5: Release!
« Reply #1 on: 25-12-2009, 11:12:14 »
There's working submarines with working torpedoes people....
AND THEY KICK THE ASS OF EVERY BOAT THEY TOUCH(except for the u-boat that fires them of course)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jav3wk88v0&feature=related
Derp

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-12-2009, 13:12:21 »
The submarines were made by the official FH2 and are in the files since 2.0.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-12-2009, 13:12:08 »
Hence the term 'Working'

My little review so far... Its a bit funny since I'm yet to play online, but have had quite a bit going just exploring the maps myself

Personally, my favorite map, and the most professionally done is bloody gulch - I could say, and I dare say, something to the quality, or almost, of the devs themselves *Thunder rolls and lightning strikees*

It definitely has a layout completely unique to any FH2 map currently in... Including totalize, which can be compared

A distant second would be the Alpine map - First dissapointment was the lack of substantial snow, and although the fog was definitely a highly welcoming sight, I fear it may cause serious issues ingame... But the map design is lovely and I feel alot of cool combat may go on on those narrow mountain roads...

The one thing that definitely made me wince was the mix of NA and Normandy vehicles. I would have recommended the use of another aircraft, but the beau has to be the best for the job with bombs rather than rockets, save for its skin. Come to think of it, a second wierd thing was the kit layout and the standard kit for Germans being the smg with no rifleman using bolt action, but rather a limited semi

As for the air, is I hope they play well and are fun, since that's really all there is... The air map does warm my heart, less for its design, more for what it brings to bear, and the Russian plane, although not a beauty is definitely good to look at - And the looks are more the result of it generally being an ugly plane and NOT a bad design... Subs are something else, I certainly love the ability to see with the periscope underwater (a rare view point in FH2/BF2), but I sure wish they'd have radar as they are otherwise blind without it - Another sweet, sweet sound was that of the Russian fighter mgs

For Rammel Neuville, I thank the gods its name included FH1 remake, cuz I'm really looking foward to a Rammel map based on the movie to a fault.. And I certainly hope that project isn't abondoned on account of this one.

Finally, I must say, besides Bloody gulch, there are just too many faults in the layout of kits with too many G43s IMO... but maybe that's historically accurate.

However, 4km x 4km FTW!!

« Last Edit: 25-12-2009, 13:12:05 by djinn »

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25-12-2009, 14:12:52 »
Can anyone post screenshots of how Ramelle Neuville looked like?

Offline Venous

• Wawawewa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25-12-2009, 15:12:24 »
No EU server?  :-\

Offline Paasky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-12-2009, 16:12:32 »
Well, we don't have connections to any EU servers. If someone could get an EU server to host these maps that would be great ;)

--------------------

Hence the term 'Working'

My little review so far... Its a bit funny since I'm yet to play online, but have had quite a bit going just exploring the maps myself

Personally, my favorite map, and the most professionally done is bloody gulch - I could say, and I dare say, something to the quality, or almost, of the devs themselves *Thunder rolls and lightning strikees*

It definitely has a layout completely unique to any FH2 map currently in... Including totalize, which can be compared

This would be sn00x's map, he has far more mapping talent (and patience :P) than the rest of us ;)

A distant second would be the Alpine map - First dissapointment was the lack of substantial snow, and although the fog was definitely a highly welcoming sight, I fear it may cause serious issues ingame... But the map design is lovely and I feel alot of cool combat may go on on those narrow mountain roads...

The one thing that definitely made me wince was the mix of NA and Normandy vehicles. I would have recommended the use of another aircraft, but the beau has to be the best for the job with bombs rather than rockets, save for its skin. Come to think of it, a second wierd thing was the kit layout and the standard kit for Germans being the smg with no rifleman using bolt action, but rather a limited semi

Originally the map had snow undergrowth but it didn't work out on mountainous terrain:
http://www.bfewaw.com/mod/Paasky/gothic_line/screen174.jpg
http://www.bfewaw.com/mod/Paasky/gothic_line/screen177.jpg
http://www.bfewaw.com/mod/Paasky/gothic_line/screen180.jpg

The 64-version is too big for pubbyplay IMHO so the 32 & 16 versions will be used, both are well suited for 64-player games.

As for the air, is I hope they play well and are fun, since that's really all there is... The air map does warm my heart, less for its design, more for what it brings to bear, and the Russian plane, although not a beauty is definitely good to look at - And the looks are more the result of it generally being an ugly plane and NOT a bad design... Subs are something else, I certainly love the ability to see with the periscope underwater (a rare view point in FH2/BF2), but I sure wish they'd have radar as they are otherwise blind without it - Another sweet, sweet sound was that of the Russian fighter mgs
Where Ostmark is a testbed for land stuff, Constanta is for Air & Sea. I'm pretty sure it'll be fun and give something for everyone, whether it be sea battles, dogfighting, bombing, AA duty or rear gunning.

For Rammel Neuville, I thank the gods its name included FH1 remake, cuz I'm really looking foward to a Rammel map based on the movie to a fault.. And I certainly hope that project isn't abondoned on account of this one.
This Ramelle Neuville was a quick side project, took less than a week to make ;) We decided to include it just because the original was such a (horrible and pointless waste of time) classic map.

Finally, I must say, besides Bloody gulch, there are just too many faults in the layout of kits with too many G43s IMO... but maybe that's historically accurate.
Well, Ostmark is a completely fictional German counterattack in the Alps, a la Alpenfestung. And as the FH2 team is apparently making a new version of Ramelle we aren't putting that much emphasis on our conversion ;)

--------------------

Server will be up in less than 3h time. Join us on the WaW Teamspeak (2) server if you want :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25-12-2009, 16:12:38 »
Thanks for the reply... Hope to play by tomorow if the servers are still up then

Irrespective of anything I wrote before,

good job guys... First independent fanmappack (WAW and F|H don't count) and I think its quite succesful with enough new toys to add some freshness :-)

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25-12-2009, 16:12:28 »
Paasky, WaW players will have to overwrite their installation of Bloody Gulch, won't they?  You know, since its the "WaW20_Scrim" version?  I don't want to "be ashamed" because I installed the files wrong...

Also, will extracting that .jpg and the .txt files into the levels folder screw anything up?  Cause that's what we were told to do when the readme said "Extract the .zip into the levels folder," right?

Offline Paasky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-12-2009, 16:12:44 »
Yeah, Kildar's being lazy and hasn't renamed it... Yes just overwrite it, the scrims are over ;)

The jpg's & txt's won't destroy anything.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25-12-2009, 16:12:43 »
Done.  I might join you later, especially since my Aunt canceled Christmas Dinner (long story), so I don't have any obligations today.

Offline Paasky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-12-2009, 18:12:58 »
Server is up!

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25-12-2009, 18:12:53 »
very nice, everything seems great so far, will post greater thoughts when I get more time with it

Offline Venous

• Wawawewa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25-12-2009, 18:12:18 »
Joining!

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-12-2009, 22:12:18 »
bombers DO belong in FH2, and whoever says otherwise can go suck off. being in that bomber was the most fun i've had in FH2.