Author Topic: Maps That are Difficult to Win Because of Bot Behaviour  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Omaha Beach
This map is crash-free!

As Allies/USA
Starting ticket 1425 vs 1425
ending ticket 495 vs 0 (allies win)

It is impossible to win at 100% ticket ratio, because no matter how many outposts you captures, the Allies still bleed tickets. I try to overcome this using Multiplayer Co-op mode, which allows you to set ticket ratio. I use 190% (because 200% is a bit too long and draggy). The rule is to be as rambo as possible, but in the sense that you try to be a ninja as well (because if you camp for too long, bots will rain mortar on you). Here is the starter:

Note: screenshot are not actual game story, this is my 2nd round as I don't take any screenshots at 1st round. I died less often and advanced with greater care in my 1st round.

Step 1: Bots in PaK 38

The beach is a killing field because of this PaK. I think this is way more dangerous than that H39's turret on WN72 bunker. Also, this thing is easier to kill, try killing it using explosive by kamikaze or sniping with Bazooka. Remember to destroy the barbed wires using bangalore torpedo (supplied with Engineer kit).

Let the bot do the shootings. Use shingles, Belgian gates, anti tank barriers to advance. You can either lead the way or wait for the bots to build up in front of you and use them as distraction. Kill any visible oppositions if possible. They will eventually kill that Hotchkiss turret, in 1st round, they bazooka it, in this screenshoted round, they nailed it with the Fletcher-class destroyer's 127 mm gun.The bot will then easily take the WN72.

---end of 1---

Step 2: Take WN73

We should concentrate on WN73, use Thompson, try to rambo around, wait until your squad assemble at the gate and join them to assault the WN73 trench system.

After you got WN73, WN72 should change hands several times, because the Axis bots has the advantage of having more and closer artillery. Get sniper rifle from the beach, near the colliding LCVPs.

---end of 2---

Step 3: Snipe enemies that hold your advance

Imagine you are Private Jackson from Saving Private Ryan (1998) movie, use covers and be efficient. Your objective is not racking up kills, but identify which enemy soldier is holding up the bots (bot shoots at every visible enemy, even when in ridiculous distance). Pick them up one-by-one, let the bot advance.

When enough bots advance through, use the chance to tag along with them, until you get a clear way up to capture WN71.

---end of 3---

It is then easier to capture WN71, since Axis bots spawning there are pre-occupied in recapping WN72. Use rambo/ninja approach to capture WN71. Bots are too slow to amass efficiently and capture WN71.

to be continued...

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: Maps That are Difficult to Win Because of Bot Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: 14-06-2014, 19:06:17 »
Step 4: Capturing the last Resistance Pocket

This is the final step on winning Omaha Beach map in FH2. As after this, the Allies will be on major advantage of having two M3 Stuarts conveniently spawned, while the Germans have to use the rocketed PaK 35. WN71 is easy to capture as it has a generally open entrance towards the trench system and the enemy is channeled through this area only.

Snipe the enemy until your bot can advance closer to the entrance, and then rambo your way in. Hide behind the American flag, while facing inland, since defenders will most likely come from the village deep inside, not the otherwise. This is why it is important to caputre WN72 first, since bots coming from the left flank will be dealt with by friendlies spawning there. In the screenshot, I captured the WN72 much earlier than the first round, since the bots are pre-occuppied with long range shootings.

Once WN71 is captured, defend it briefly using your sniper rifle (ideally) or any other long-range weapons.

DONE! Your tanks will spawn shortly and the German bots will be easy to mow down with. Don't worry about tickets, as long as you have 300 left to bleed, Vierville-Sur-Mer will surely fall easily.

Tips:
- Most of the terrain are hilly, never throw grenades up hill. Practice to throw grenade accurately, e.g. through window openings, since you'll need it much later when attacking the village of Vierville-Sur-Mer. A window sill-mounted MGs are quite a burden there.
- Do not spam grenades, it rarely work and bots are good at long range kill. Better pick them one by one using pixel aiming skills. Only use rifle launched grenades when situations permit (e.g. behind full cover with enemies not knowing your presence or have a teammate to cover you while you are preparing the launcher)
- Do not be the front-most guy in the field. The bots will concentrate artillery fires on you if they spot you. Rather pick the distracting enemies resistance that causing your friendlies to stop advancing to exchange long-distance shootings. Once the enemy is eliminated, bots will move towards objective until they meet another and start doing the routines, even with shotguns.
- Read this excellent explanation on Omaha Beach defenses by Ts4EVER http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=19530.0
« Last Edit: 14-06-2014, 20:06:04 by Zoologic »

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-06-2014, 06:06:24 »
It is impossible to win at 100% ticket ratio, because no matter how many outposts you captures, the Allies still bleed tickets. I try to overcome this using Multiplayer Co-op mode, which allows you to set ticket ratio. I use 190% (because 200% is a bit too long and draggy).
Zoologic, note that the default ticket ratio for all FH2 maps is 200%, no matter if they are singleplayer or multiplayer maps.
As for Omaha, as soon as the Americans capture all the flags, the German team start bleeding fast, so the difference between 190% and 200% ticket ratios should be negligible.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-06-2014, 20:06:34 »
Zoologic, note that the default ticket ratio for all FH2 maps is 200%, no matter if they are singleplayer or multiplayer maps.
As for Omaha, as soon as the Americans capture all the flags, the German team start bleeding fast, so the difference between 190% and 200% ticket ratios should be negligible.

So, if I change to 200% in the MP slider, that means the ticket will gone up to 400%?

Anyway, for 100% slider, the Americans would have bled the tickets out before getting into the villages. Because it will take a lot of bots to capture WN71. Then, Allied bots advancing to Vierville will be mowed down by MGs. So I couldn't win at 100% slider, need at least more than 150%.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-06-2014, 20:06:21 »
To be clear, this is the default ticket ratio for MP, Coop and SP:

In other words, all maps are balanced with the 200 (%) ticket ratio in mind.

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-06-2014, 00:06:53 »
The map is perfectly playable. And winable.
I prefer to run it on a dedicated server (HABAI will increase the bots intelligence) using

Bot Count 80 (I recommend not going above a bot count of 80, 96 is pretty much the upper limit of what a server can still handle while giving you an enjoyable gameplay but it is alread stuttering and lagging and rubberbanding a lot, at least on my i7 3770.

Bot Ratio 50 (100 means 48 bots to Team 1, which is usually the Axis and the rest being forced to Team 2, the Allied) So 50 is 24(50% of 48) on Team 1 and 24(50% of 48)+32(80 total bots - 48 bots already handled)= a total of 56 Bots on the Allied Team. So 24 Axis Defenders vs 56 Allied Attackers. You can play around a little with this to fit your needs. Lowering the value will give Allied more troops, increasing it will give them to the Axis (48 max on Axis side, unfortunatly for some maps)
I hope that is understandable.

Ticket Ratio 200 You know what that means.

Bot Difficulty is set to 60. On maps with a lot of urban environment I recommend lowering it.